Phuket family’s plea for justice after harrowing hit-and-run incident

webfact

image.jpeg

A Phuket resident publicly shared the harrowing ordeal of a hit-and-run incident that took place last Sunday, October 8. The incident involved his family being struck by a pickup truck while they were on their Honda PCX motorbike.

The 36 year old man, Wittaya, and his wife along with their young son were en route to Robinson shopping mall in Thalang for grocery shopping when their bike was hit by the truck. The truck driver, instead of checking on the injured family, chose to flee the scene.

Wittaya revealed the hit-and-run accident occurred just before 8pm on Thepkasattri Road near Wat Tha Rue.

“I was driving my bike in the left-hand lane of the road, as usual, with my wife and son as passengers when suddenly the speeding truck collided with us.”

The family suffered severe injuries as a result of the hit-and-run collision. Wittaya’s wife sustained cuts and bruising to her torso, legs and arms, while their son suffered cuts on his face, legs, ankles, wrists and hand. Wittaya himself suffered facial injuries that required 20 stitches.

by Mitch Connor

Pictures courtesy of Phuket News.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I was hit on three separate occassions when I lived in Phuket.  Thai driver on all occassions, and all three fled the scene.

It seems to be impossible for most Thais to take responsibility for anything. It's part of their culture. I and I'm sure many of us learned at a very early age, perhaps around the time we started school, to own up to a wrongdoing, but so many Thais have the mind of a child so never truly act like adults.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It seems to be impossible for most Thais to take responsibility for anything. It's part of their culture. I and I'm sure many of us learned at a very early age, perhaps around the time we started school, to own up to a wrongdoing, but so many Thais have the mind of a child so never truly act like adults.

I caught one of them at the next big traffic light intersection.  Dragged him from the car and beat him to the ground.  Another backed over me while talking on their phone (woman) broke two bones in my foot.  If not for my screaming she would have backed over me completely and killed me.  It was in the parking lot for a rego check place in Samkong.  The guys there were very good.  Helped me get to hospital and gave me her details (from her green book).  I successfully pressed charges against her and sued for damages.  Third one was a mini van driver.  I was riding my motorbike up over the hill from Surin beach to Kamala.  It was just on dark and lightly raining.  Van came speeding around the bend at the top of the mountain, lost control in the wet, veered across into my lane and hit me. I catapulted into the drainage ditch between the mountainside and road and landed on my back on one of the big boulders set in the mountainside.  Broke three of my ribs near my spine.  Bike landed on my legs and I was pinned.  The MF stopped and then made eye contact with me laying in the ditch, he hesitated for a moment or two while the gears were spinning in his head, then he took off.  Could not get the number plate and it was just one of those cookie cutter white toyota minivans that used to be everywhere in Phuket.  Never caught up with that p**ck but I would dearly love to.  One of the most painful injuries I have ever had.  Had to sleep seated for about two months while drugged up on ibuprofen.  Could not breath properly and couldn't laugh or sneeze or I would collapse from the pain.

These are just incidents that happend to me.  I have witnessed dozens fatal accidents since living here.  Most in Phuket.  I have also seen three people shot in Phuket and one person pistol whipped.

So glad I am out of the place.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

hit and runs occur everyhere, albeit maybe not to the same extent.