Elevating National Science Museum to World-Class Status

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The National Science Museum (NSM) is launching a program aimed at achieving world-class museum standards.

The initiative also seeks to bridge the science education gap for youth in remote areas and welcomes support from the private sector.

Assistant Professor Rawin Raviwongse, the director of the NSM, announced that the plan comprises four key areas: exhibitions, educational management, visitor services, and artifact collections.

The goal is to not only function as a repository for historical items but also serve as a source of national pride that can compete with world-class institutions. The effort further aims to boost tourism revenue and democratize access to science education for citizens in remote regions.

As part of a quick win policy, the museum will kick off with the "Harmony World Puppet Innovation Festival 2023" from November 21 to 26, featuring puppetry from over 20 countries.

The event aims to show that ancient puppets served as a prototype for modern robotics. Additionally, a special "Night at the Museum" program will be conducted later in the year, along with exhibitions focusing on animal extinction.

by Tanakorn Sangiam

Full story: NNT 2023-10-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

'World Class' anything in TH ... is a stretch.  Yet to see or visit anything, anywhere here that would fall under 'world class'.

Maybe some beaches on the outer islands I haven't visited yet.  Actually Phuket beaches were damn nice during covid, and as nice as any I've been on elsewhere ... so for a short time, 'world class'.

Museums here, the few I visited, are just sad.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2023 at 3:54 PM, fallup88 said:

I’ve been there, it’s pretty nice right now and almost world class. But the problem lies with upkeep and they need better translation in English. Upkeep and maintenance had always been the problem.

Location is too far too

Agreed, it's a good set of Museums, with one ticket (cheap and the same for Thai and foreigners) one can visit three or four Museums. I did notice the issue with maintenance, the Science one is very interactive but some experiences are closed or not operative so I am happy of budget will allow technical improvements.

Agree it is far and not many tourists will venture there - also many Thais do not even know it's existence - may be shuttle buses can better connect with the city while BTS can possibly connect the Technopolis Complex in future