How hard for Thai Citizen to visit U.S.A just for a short holiday?

15 minutes ago, marin said:

It is a lot of time zones, but with daylight savings time its 15 hours West coast USA and 12 East coast. Not at least 20 mate. 

I was using hyperbole, you can tell it is hyperbole because I said it was million miles away......and it's not a million, not even half a million miles away. And anyway, you forgot about Hawaii, that's close to 20.

Edited by retarius
  • Confused 3

On 10/14/2023 at 4:17 PM, bkk6060 said:

Slim and none to take Thai gf to U.S.

They rarely give Visas for Thai females in your situation. You can fill the application online and they will give her an appointment date at the U.S. embassy.  I have been here more then 10 years and I do not know of one Thai female gf who has gotten a Visa to the U.S.  They throw a piece of rejection paper in their face, don't let them ask any questions and tell them to leave.  Rude and impersonal. But, give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Not only Thai GF, my wife of 20 years, house owner prev restaurant owner wanted to take our daughter back to the US for college - asked for a tourist visa but

consulate said noway, had to apply for immigrant visa - at that time Afghan fiasco popped up...immigration in the US was backlogged over 500K and doing about 35K a month - needless to say by the time the approval arrived (over a year), daughter decided to go to college here and doing well and happy.  We will forego the immigrant process.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

A good alternative might be local travel - Hong Kong, Singapore, Jakarta or Kuala Lumpur. 

Possibly not Singapore. Seems a high rate of Thai human trafficking into Singapore requires almost the same scrutiny as the US for a visa in the context of this discussion. It's Thailand embassy told me there's no guarantee that even if given a visa prior to entry by the embassy that a Thai woman will be allowed to enter Singapore by immigration.

• Confused 2

On 10/14/2023 at 2:17 AM, bkk6060 said:

They rarely give Visas for Thai females in your situation. You can fill the application online and they will give her an appointment date at the U.S. embassy.  I have been here more then 10 years and I do not know of one Thai female gf who has gotten a Visa to the U.S.  They throw a piece of rejection paper in their face, don't let them ask any questions and tell them to leave.  Rude and impersonal. But, give it a try and let us know how it works out.

That has been my experience too, and they ask for a $250 application fee which is not refundable so it's basically just the donation to the US government. They hardly ever approve tourist visas for Thais, unless they're quite wealthy, so if you can show very significant assets in the bank, in her name, it's a different story. 

Same applies to a student visa, the student visa is even a longer shot. Once we got married it was very easy to get a 10-year multiple entry visa from my Thai wife and the only paperwork they wanted to see was my original passport, and that was it! Granted. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

What does this gf do exactly?  If she's a professional, works for a large company, it'd be easier.

If you met her at bar, forget it.  The visa office would view a Brit wanting to bring a young Thai bargirl into the US as a likely case of human trafficking.

It'd be easier for you 2 to visit Guam.

The chances are slim to none.  I know one Thai person in Bangkok that has visited the United States a number of times.  This to visit her sister.  
This person has a very good job in Thailand and makes a substantial income.

Then I know a government employee.  She got rejected twice. 
It’s extremely difficult. 

• Confused 2

22 hours ago, Henryford said:

So does that mean a thai female can never have a holiday in the USA?  Seems bizarre.

The USA is nasty,you can't even transit through a US airport without some kind of visa . I see lots of cheap flights that transit through the US but my old lady can't use them..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

These days the application is online, they will advise if they want an in-person interview. Most recent visa she got took around 2 weeks, no interview required.

That is only for renewal. For an applicant who has never had a US visa before, an interview is mandatory.

The criteria they us is probably the same shirt or long stay. I asked US Embassy why for some it seems difficult…. ..  he said unlike other countries that track visitors… once in US can go anywhere.

My wife was denied 3 times and then I started worrying was their something serious I didn’t know about her. Emailed US Citizens and was told I can come and discuss it but applicants can’t attend the 

meeting.

Officer at the window put a stack of paper on the table. He said the reason rejected because the invitation letter looked like one used by many that got in US and overstayed. I told him I wrote 

the cover letter which I got the format from Internet. He typed in some notes. On his computer and

said to have her come back the visa will be approve. 

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Possibly not Singapore. Seems a high rate of Thai human trafficking into Singapore requires almost the same scrutiny as the US for a visa in the context of this discussion. It's Thailand embassy told me there's no guarantee that even if given a visa prior to entry by the embassy that a Thai woman will be allowed to enter Singapore by immigration.

As no visa is required for a normal Thai visit to Singapore believe that was likely Consulate official talk rather than a high concern.  Human trafficking of Thai to Singapore is not a normal high concern issue AFAIK.  Seems about one thousand Thai arrive daily.   

• Like 2

If she got no money in bank a good job,  no home basically what Embassy refer anchor to Thailand so she will return you are watching your time. 

If she has a passport already had traveled other Western country on her own very doable.  

GF from a bar,  forget it. Have all documents and proof submitted with application decisions are basically made prior to the interview. 

On 10/14/2023 at 12:54 PM, hydraides said:

I am UK nationality.......want to visit U.S.A in April with my Thai Girlfriends

For me .......all i Need is an esta which takes a few days to approve

How about my girlfriend.......how hard is it for her just to visit Thailand on a holiday? Do you need visit an embassy etc and do alot of paperwork?

Forget that idea. Sorry, my best advice having some familiarity with the application procedure. There are easier places to visit for a short holiday.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 4:17 PM, bkk6060 said:

I advised he forget that idea but … I have been here 12 years and my Thai gf was given her 5 year US Tourist Visa. My now Thai Wife was given her 10 Year Tourist Visa in March. So, yes, it can be done if all is documented but not easy for any young, good looking Thai girl looking for a short time holiday … too many have overstayed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Possibly not Singapore. Seems a high rate of Thai human trafficking into Singapore requires almost the same scrutiny as the US for a visa

Thai passport holders do not need any visa to enter Singapore. Have not for years.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Without a record of previous travel and professional work position to return to Thailand the chance is low for approval as Thai visitors have a high rate for overstay so are carefully screened.

A good alternative might be local travel - Hong Kong, Singapore, Jakarta or Kuala Lumpur.  All are likely to be found attractive destinations for many Thai and a lot easier to travel.

I had zero issues taking my then gf on a brief getawy to Hong Kong and later Singapore.Seamless. I believe Thais get a Visa on Arrival to those 2 places.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill97 said:

Thai passport holders do not need any visa to enter Singapore. Have not for years.

I did not say Thais require a Singspore visa but that the level of scrutiny (to me) on entry was equivalent to getting US visa. No guarantee of entry in Singapore just because one is a Thai female.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

I had zero issues taking my then gf on a brief getawy to Hong Kong and later Singapore.Seamless. I believe Thais get a Visa on Arrival to those 2 places.

Yes, a great option I have done this a number of times.  HK is a lot of fun and Thais can get in Visa exempt.

On each occasion however,  the Thai girl I was with were pulled off the line at entry, and questioned.  This last April they questioned her for 20 minutes.  Everything was fine in the end, just saying they want to know why they are there.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

Only tried it twice in Singapore. The dark-skinned, splay-toed gogo dancer had no issues getting in. The pale-skinned, sharply dressed businesswoman was knocked back.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I advised he forget that idea but … I have been here 12 years and my Thai gf was given her 5 year US Tourist Visa. My now Thai Wife was given her 10 Year Tourist Visa in March. So, yes, it can be done if all is documented but not easy for any young, good looking Thai girl looking for a short time holiday … too many have overstayed.

And there lies the rub.

To backtrack on several previous posts.

Yes age does come into this

The fact that the OP is not American helps

The applicant will need to show ties to Thailand that will make her return.

What the CO is always thinking is 'will she return to Thailand'

There's the problem. So many young Thai women enter the US on tourist visa's then vanish into the black economy.

Or they enter with a BF, then marry in the US and apply for an adjustment of status, trying to bypass the immigration process.

I don't think many recognize that the US has the largest Thai diaspora in the world, reading AN you would think it's the UK, but they are well down the list.

Even here in South Dakota my wife has a group of friends, only her and one other entered as legal immigrants, all the rest, either still overstay, or the preferred method is to marry a guy of the local AFB.

I'd suggest that's some of the reasons young single Thai women find US tourist visa's really tough.

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 6.15.46 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Thai ex-GF was given a 10 year, multi-entry 1st time. However...

We were able to show a long-term relationship, both through social media posts and mail that came to the same address in each of our names. In addition, we had extensive travel around SE Asia and also a month in Australia. She was a student, no home ownership, no income, only support from me. We made photocopies of our entry/exit stamps from both of our passports showing we traveled together many times (>12??). Establishing that we had a relationship and that she depended on me was key. I showed my work permits and contracts over many years of stay in Thailand. Even though I am US citizen, I was able to establish that I was returning to Thailand. Probably 80 or so pages of documentation. Also, this was about 10-11 years ago.

She was working in a bar in PTY when I met her, but that never came up in any context. 

Edited by Peabody
  • Like 2

Ginboy2 is someone to listen to. 

Only one poster so far has mentioned looks.    If she has a nice figure and pretty face you can almost forget it.  Mike, is it really 250$ to apply for a B1 now.  Was only 65$ in 2018.    I've posted my experience with 4 women in a similar thread before.  3 got a 10 year 1 didn't . Big difference is your  not American so you have a better chance.    For that reason alone i say its worth a try. 

My gals went the route where they didn't mention knowing or visiting me   3 had kids, money, and homes. 1 had kids, home, govt job, big loans.  The word on the Thailand boards then was 300k needed in the bank. 3 had that,  2 easily by factor of 10.   I would say these 3 didn't look like they would be in high demand.  Cant judge a book by the cover. 

Besides the 1 looking quite marketable she had no kids, house, under 100k savings.   Recall this was the trump era, yes it is relavant. You can read all about the lawsuits and how he threw a wrench in all visas. However we may have made a mistake.   Going the she didn't know anyone in US route was probably a mistake.  Especially because I went to pay the 65$ at a bank in Thailand (while she was at her 20 year  job) to get the pay slip for this visa and I didnt know that results in an American name on this paper receipt that becomes part of the paper package. Also she had no real oeior travel outside of Thailand.  

There are many overstay thai here working in restaurant jobs.   In the last year there has been big busts in asian massage parlors in Utah.  I didnt know that was an available service here.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1