Where the ultra rich spend their holidays ? Nobody comes to Thailand, why ?

I don't know about the 'Ultra Rich' from elsewhere but there was a time when the 'Ultra Rich' of Thailand regularly holidayed at Koh Kood.  Judging by the prices at The Soneva Kiri resort on the island, they still do.

A 3 bedroom villa at the Soneva Kiri runs at around 225,000 to 270,000 baht per night in high season - I kid you not.

Thankfully, us lesser mortals can visit Koh Kood these days with prices from around 2500 baht per night.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

I don't know about the 'Ultra Rich' from elsewhere but there was a time when the 'Ultra Rich' of Thailand regularly holidayed at Koh Kood.  Judging by the prices at The Soneva Kiri resort on the island, they still do.

A 3 bedroom villa at the Soneva Kiri runs at around 225,000 to 270,000 baht per night in high season - I kid you not.

Thankfully, us lesser mortals can visit Koh Kood these days with prices from around 2500 baht per night.

https://wealthygorilla.com/most-expensive-hotels/

Here is a small choice of really expensive hotels in the world.

Like you I already find 2500 B expensive.???? 

• Sad 1

On 10/16/2023 at 7:23 AM, stoner said:

mostly because this place has been turned into a s hole when compared to others on that list. 

massage shop. souvenir shop. bar. massage. bar. restaurant. bar. restaurant. massage. bar. tourist shop. bar. massage. restaurant. 

Add;  be sure to avoid the thieving violent L.boys. 

Why ?

If you have to ask, you'll never understand the answer.

I always wonder why people come to TH for a holiday.  Well, to the 'tourist' centers anyway.

Except for the Asian flare, I'm not seeing it.  And I could get that in ChinaTown @ Philly, PA, USA, or any other major city.

History buffs, yes, understandable.  I just hope the rest of the world isn't so screwed up now, that TH is actually considered a good holiday destination.

Apparently not, for those that have a bit more cash.  

I think exploring locally for a holiday makes more sense, for those with limited funds, instead of saving for that one or 2 weeks, month in TH.  Home country/area dependent of course, as TH may actually be an upgrade as holiday destination.

On 10/16/2023 at 7:11 AM, sirineou said:

Yea , because the ultra-rich don't have people taking care of these things LOL

I am sure most of the Ultra rich come to Thailand once or twice, but why would they spend their holidays  here?  What is here that would keep them coming back? 

One thing is reaching critical mass. 

The very rich, go where other very rich go. Why?

First they create a market that develops an infustracture to support their

lifestyle.

Second the biggest contributor to success is proximity to success. Birds of a feather roost together. 

See and be seen !!

Locations in the  Mediterranean has not only proximity with other successful people it has proximity to many different locations where successful people congregate.  The  can spend a few days on their yacht  in Santorini, then yacht over to Malta for a couple days , the to the sour of france, or Italy or park it and jump on a short flight to every European location. 

Here, well I guess they can hop over  to Vietnam for some Pho. 

The ultra rich might visit one of the exclusive private resorts on a private island down in the south of Thailand or use Thai territory to access similar places in the far south of Myanmar, Cambodia or nearby.

However, they're obviously not coming for shopping, foodie tours or backpacking. Or even to visit the mediocre national parks.

Edited by Highlandman
  • Like 1

Yeah I read that as well. Miami is a pooh hole but the beach and night life are fantastic. My son lives there (on South beach) so I have been literally tens of times. But crimes and taxi scams beat Phuket and Pattaya a hundred fold. Best to be well-armed, and have concealed carry permit, in my opinion, if you live there. Or if you vacation there, go with a firmed who has a permit.Big  money can insulate you. 

The rest of the US is also great top vacation in (EAST COAST), I don't like the west or the south, but up north in New England is paradise in the summer.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

That place is beautiful, took the helicopter tour an age ago, amazing.

Same Same.....spent 2 weeks there underneath Kong Mountain in Anahola, right on the beach (within 15ft of the water) in a surf shack. Rented a Jeep, did the Luau experience, travelled almost every inch of the Island, tried almost all the restaurants I could find, paid for shotgun seat on the helicopter tour (so I could take 800 pictures with my Nikon), and drank way more than my share of Corona's and Mai Tai's ....LOL 

If I win the lottery, I will move there, and never leave again.....sick of the world! 😉

• Thumbs Up 1