Cost of 'flu vaccines in Thailand

samtam

Given the reports of higher incidents of 'flu cases in some countries in the region, (e.g. Japan and Hong Kong), with recorded higher severity and deaths (primarily amongst the elderly), I decided to book a 'flu jab.

The various hospitals I checked with for over 65s "extra dosage" were quoting prices of THB2,200 to THB4,000 (including all the bells and whistles these establishments add on). This seems excessive, and another gripe related to the proposed taxation of retirees, many in this age group, who would be receiving this at reduced cost, or free in other countries. 

I don't especially want another one, but covid vaccines are also doubtless very overpriced, and, as far as I can gather, not suited to the new variants BA.2.86 or EG.5 or XBB, take your pick.

1 minute ago, samtam said:

This is a dose for over 65s, (apparently a higher dosage level).

Nope, 690 baht, same price, same vaccine for everyone, some are even four strain vaccines:

https://www.cmmediclinic.com/Flu-Vaccine.html

https://www.travelclinicchiangmai.com/#:~:text=FLU VACCINATIONS ONLY 690 Baht&text=Protect yourself by booking your flu vaccine today.

https://www.chiangmai-hospital.com/en/packages/influenza-vaccine-promotion

15 minutes ago, samtam said:

Thanks. I'm in Bangkok.

990 at Bangkok Hospital

https://www.bangkokhospital.com/en/package/influenza-vaccine

or you could go seriously up market and get it from Bumrungrad for 1,060 baht

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/packages/flu-shot

MedPark has quadrivelant flu vaccine for 900

https://www.medparkhospital.com/en-US/packages/adult-vaccine

36 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

OP is asking about high dosage (2,200 baht at Bangkok Hospital) flu vaccine - not the normal version (which is 990 baht at Bangkok Hospital).  This is the first time have seen available.

https://www.bangkokhospital.com/en/package/a-high-dose-flu-vaccine-for-elderly-age-over-65

Yes, thanks. This seemed the least expensive, and is inclusive of doctor, nurses, and all the add-ons. BNH was THB4,000 for the same. I've booked Bangkok Hospital. There are one or two clinics around, but they're at around THB1,500 plus the add-ons, and I'm slightly wary of knowing what I'm getting. The hospitals are a monopoly or if not directly associated, they control the market price.

On 10/16/2023 at 5:37 PM, samtam said:

Yes, thanks. This seemed the least expensive, and is inclusive of doctor, nurses, and all the add-ons. BNH was THB4,000 for the same. I've booked Bangkok Hospital. There are one or two clinics around, but they're at around THB1,500 plus the add-ons, and I'm slightly wary of knowing what I'm getting. The hospitals are a monopoly or if not directly associated, they control the market price.

Well, having made the booking with Bangkok Hospital (HQ), we turned up at the required time, ahead of the appointment, to register etc. Went through all the vital sign checks, and then waited to see the doctor. Once with him, he informed us that the hospital had run out of the new strains vaccine, (the Northern Hemisphere vaccine being administered there now* as below), and that they did not know when it would be available.

So we expressed our dismay as to why this information was not made available when the booking was made, and left the hospital. On the way back, contacted BNH and they confirmed they did have the new strains vax in stock (since mid September) @THB2,500 a shot, so we booked and went and had those administered. A slight sore arm likely.

The over 65 dosage is 4x the normal dosage, so that is why the price is higher.

1062952221_Fluvax.thumb.jpg.5bc34e87c0987e8aeda9b3a8eab2461f.jpg

Just now received a call from Bangkok Hospital that they actually do have the new strain vax in stock, and their stock record was not updated at the time of our appointment. Piss up and brewery.

A lovely 4 hour excursion in the medical hub of Thailand.

Edited by samtam

On 10/16/2023 at 3:42 PM, samtam said:

I don't especially want another one, but covid vaccines are also doubtless very overpriced, and, as far as I can gather, not suited to the new variants BA.2.86 or EG.5 or XBB, take your pick.

I asked the doctor at BNH about the covid vaccines in Thailand, and he said there were none that are relevant to new variants. He also said that if one had previous vaccines for Omicron, there was no need to have further vaccinations until one was 80 years old. (Obviously this information might vary depending on the patient's state of health.)

From my friend in Vancouver this morning:

I also get the 4x normal dosage. It's the one for 65+. The convenient thing here is that flu shots are given at pharmacies with an appointment, and there are so many in the city. I just go online to the BC vaccination website, choose a nearby pharmacy, and book the date and time I want. The pharmacy then sends a text and email confirming it with a confirmation number. I also do it for the Covid vaccine. Simple and straightforward.  Plus, the pharmacy is only a five minute walk.

If only.

On 10/16/2023 at 3:42 PM, samtam said:

Given the reports of higher incidents of 'flu cases in some countries in the region, (e.g. Japan and Hong Kong), with recorded higher severity and deaths (p

Where was this "fact" pulled out of? 

On 10/16/2023 at 3:56 PM, lelapin said:

Try a local clinic. Mine charges 600baht

12 hours ago, sandyf said:

In April at Bang Saen I was 330 baht for the flu vaccine and 30 baht to be administered.

10 hours ago, jippytum said:

690 baht Ram chaing mai last week

2 hours ago, Acharn said:

Yeah, that's what my hospital in Nakhon Sawan charges me every September.

I'm delighted to read of these prices, and quite probably you have a longstanding relationship with the hospital or clinic that is giving you the vaccination, but do you know from them whether you are getting the quadrivalent vaccine for the 2023-2024 Northern Hemisphere, and if you're over 65, that you're getting the recommended larger dose, (4 times the normal dosage for those under 65)?

13 hours ago, samtam said:

I'm delighted to read of these prices, and quite probably you have a longstanding relationship with the hospital or clinic that is giving you the vaccination, but do you know from them whether you are getting the quadrivalent vaccine for the 2023-2024 Northern Hemisphere, and if you're over 65, that you're getting the recommended larger dose, (4 times the normal dosage for those under 65)?

Not something i have bothered about. I used to get it free under the Flu vaccination program but one year the queue was so long just decided to pay for it on a routine hospital visit. A lot quicker and easier. The doctor is well aware of my age and never asked so the hospital may only have the one available. Government hospitals do all they can to minimise cost, if not what you want you can go  private.

Couple of months ago my niece bought the pneumococcal vaccine for me so not sure how much she paid. She has just bought the Shingles vaccine and that was 4800 baht so there can be big variations.

She will probably try to get me to have another flu so will get her to check.

Yes, I think the variation is because of the recipe and dosage. Mine certainly gave me a mild case of 'flu the night of and the day after, mitigated by paracetamol. My doctor a BNH was also pushing Tetanus and Zostar vaccines, (shingles), but I decided to pause, because I get slightly irritated by the sales element that must play a part in these consultations. I think you could spend your senior years being vaccinated ad nauseam; certainly the number of vaccines some of my friends have had in UK, (one has had 8 Covid vaxes!), seems a bit excessive, but it is natural to react that way given the push by Pharma, and when it's free, what is there to lose? (Actually in the case of the Covid vax, perhaps we don't really know yet), but the 'flu one seems to be a proven remedy, and so I thought given the reports I mentioned, and I am now certainly eligible, (66), I have now had my first ever, recognising that my invincibility is a bit optimistic. 

23 hours ago, samtam said:

No, as far as I know I'm only getting the regular, single dose. I'm 85 and don't worry that much about it.

2 hours ago, Acharn said:

No, as far as I know I'm only getting the regular, single dose. I'm 85 and don't worry that much about it.

So we're comparing apples with oranges. I'm no virologist, but I'd rather only put into my body that which might help me in the case of a new infection, and it's clear that there is a misconception about having a THB600 flu jab really being the solution, apart from "box ticking" in one's mind. 

However, not worrying about it will undoubtedly help you. In which case, I'm wondering why it's worth bothering to have any vaccination at all? 

Edited by samtam

9 hours ago, samtam said:

So we're comparing apples with oranges. I'm no virologist, but I'd rather only put into my body that which might help me in the case of a new infection, and it's clear that there is a misconception about having a THB600 flu jab really being the solution, apart from "box ticking" in one's mind. 

However, not worrying about it will undoubtedly help you. In which case, I'm wondering why it's worth bothering to have any vaccination at all? 

Actually there was no such vaccine prior to 2009 and it has only been recommended for the last year - not even available here prior to that AFAIK.  The normal vaccine offers protection - the extra strength just provides more protection, which can be an advantage for the elderly.

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2022/older-adults-high-dose-flu-shot.html#:~:text=Since the summer of 2022,dose or adjuvanted influenza vaccine.

Edited by lopburi3

24 minutes ago, samtam said:

@lopburi3 ok, thanks. I'm obviously new to this, as it is my first 'flu vaccination, so I assumed what applies now, always applied. Doubtless there will be more tweaking to the protocols as time goes by. 

Here in Thailand there are both Northern and Southern hemisphere shots and recent years 4 variant version and now over 65.  Most seem to get shots during March/April but they are available all year (although believe Northern hemisphere is more normal this time of the year).

@lopburi3 Yes, that is what my doctor told me. The Southern Hemisphere shots were administered in May to tie in with Thailand's 'flu season, and the Northern Hemisphere shots were rolled out in September. Personally I think once a year is sufficient, otherwise I'd be poor within a short space of time, and as you say, there is doubtless some benefit in the lesser dosage, and even those non specific to the season.

• 2 weeks later...

OP was likely offered the higher-dose version of the flu vaccine designed for the elderly, which is different from the 500-900 THB flu vaccine already available. Hence, the price difference. Whether it works as intended is another question.