Stranded British man seeks help as wife takes passport and sails away

snoop1130

On 10/17/2023 at 3:21 PM, cowellandrew said:

Not quite so easy in the 1980s I got mugged in Saigon, consulate didn't want to help, had to travel the length of Vietnam to Hanoi, to UK embassy it took 12 weeks to get a new passport, 

Once I got a passport I could cash my renewed American Express checks, I then tried to leave the country back to home in Thailand, my first attempt to leave the country by air was denied no entry visa stamp in new passport, I had police report saying passport say it had been stolen, I later learned that you had to put a $50 bill in the new passport,

I was only ment to be there 3 weeks!????

In the 1980s??? 🤣

On 10/17/2023 at 9:26 AM, OJAS said:

You have got to be kidding, right! Bet you're a national of a country which doesn't subject its expats in Thailand to the rigours of the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience every 9/10 years or so! I would strongly advise you to take the considerable time out needed in order to learn, mark and inwardly digest all the contents of the following link so as to fully appreciate the convoluted bureaucratic nonsense we Brits in LOS are faced with at passport renewal time. More than just "a little paperwork" involved, I think!!

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

Yeah , you guys have it terrible! At least you have 10 year passport. My country only have 5 year. But, I still don´t complain. That´s a British thing.