EU abandons promise to ban toxic chemicals in consumer products

Social Media

image.png

PFAS – also known as forever chemicals – accumulate in nature and in our bodies where they can damage the endocrine, immune and reproductive systems. 

Exclusive: Plan to outlaw all but the most vital of harmful chemicals is not included in leaked policy proposals

The EU has abandoned a promise to ban all but the most vital of toxic chemicals used in everyday consumer products, leaked documents show.

Other legislation to be dropped includes a ban on the export of outlawed chemicals from Europe to the rest of the world, a ban on caged farming and a sustainable food systems framework that the European Commission once described as “a flagship” of its farm to fork strategy.

These proposals are all absent from a copy of the commission’s 2024 work programme seen by the Guardian and due to be announced on Tuesday.

The blueprint maps out which proposals the commission will bring forward in the last months before European parliament elections in June, which will be followed by the formation of a new commission team.

A wind power package will still be launched next year, as will a process to establish a 2040 climate target, and a climate adaptation package. But there was no hiding the disappointment of environmentalists.

Tatiana Santos, the head of chemicals policy at the European Environmental Bureau (EEB), a network of environmental citizens’ organisations, said that by shelving the promised review of the EU’s Reach regulation that governs chemicals, “the European Commission has betrayed European citizens, turning a blind eye to chemical pollution and favoured toxic industry’s short-term interests over those of its citizens. It is now clear that the profits of the chemical industry are more important to this commission than the health of Europeans. The European Green Deal will be remembered as the European Toxic Deal.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

• Sad 1

Not very typical of the EU to miss an opportunity to regulate. 

They normally love banning things. It justifies their existence. On this occasion it appears they were quick to talk the talk but not so keen to walk the walk. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s been left out of the current policy proposals.

Though disappointing it’s not abandoning the policy.

The case for banning harmful and ‘forever’ chemicals still stands.

Seems the EU isn't quite the paternal, caring, benevolent organization you've been painting them as.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Expect more decisions like this as the EU's leading economies suffer and they are forced to abandon expensive, flawed, unrealistic policies on "sustainability" that negatively affect the quality of people's lives.

After all, no EU citizens voted to be poorer. 😉

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-16/germany-s-year-of-frailty-is-seen-ending-in-double-dip-recession

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Seems the EU isn't quite the paternal, caring, benevolent organization you've been painting them as.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Expect more decisions like this as the EU's leading economies suffer and they are forced to abandon expensive, flawed, unrealistic policies on "sustainability" that negatively affect the quality of people's lives.

After all, no EU citizens voted to be poorer. 😉

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-16/germany-s-year-of-frailty-is-seen-ending-in-double-dip-recession

Exactly what connection does the article you linked to have to do with the EU backing off on tightening regulations. I couldn't find any reference at all to that in the article. You've got nothing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Exactly what connection does the article you linked to have to do with the EU backing off on tightening regulations. I couldn't find any reference at all to that in the article. You've got nothing.

image.png.67cdbd04380d544898cdd891707f8f0e.png

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

image.png.67cdbd04380d544898cdd891707f8f0e.png

Nor is any of this mentioned in the article you cited about Germany. So, once again:

Exactly what connection does the article you linked to have to do with the EU backing off on tightening regulations? I couldn't find any reference at all to that in the article. You've got nothing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, RayC said:

Imo disappointing news if it is correct.

Good to see you're starting to see the reality of the EU's hypocrisy.

Let's hope you keep the blinkers off. It will be quite enlightening for you. 

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

😂😂😂😂😂 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I hope that you don't have any more corkers like that. I'm not sure my heart will be able to take it next time 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Yes. I fully agree that RayC's statement that the EU is incapable of acting ignobly. . The one thing is I'm having trouble finding that or a similar quote from him. Can you share a link to it with the rest of us?

At any rate, it's a good thing that such behavior is only confined to the EU.

Edited by placeholder
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, RayC said:

😂😂😂😂😂 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I hope that you don't have any more corkers like that. I'm not sure my heart will be able to take it next time 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Well I have quite a lot up my sleeve Ray 😆.

But I have followed your posts and believe you are more misguided than vitriolic. 

You strike me as a rare case of a lefty with a kind nature. So I will continue to debate with you and given your heart condition I will try to be kind.

Let's hope the new world order allows people like you and me to respectfully disagree.

The famous8 on the forum could learn a lot from you. 

I'm sure they will be along shortly.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

But I have followed your posts and believe you are more misguided than vitriolic. 

You strike me as a rare case of a lefty with a kind nature. So I will continue to debate with you and given your heart condition I will try to be kind.

Let's hope the new world order allows people like you and me to respectfully disagree.

The ‘famous 8’.

Is that an Enid Blyton sequel?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

As predicted....

I mist ‘The Famous Six’ and ‘The Famous Seven’.

Did Julian, Dick, Anne, George and Timmy the dog ever discover the EU hypocrisy you allege but can’t explain?

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

That's very generous, Jonny🙏

My life is now complete.

• Haha 2