Ambulance driver probed over snack stop during emergency

snoop1130

am.png

Nakhon Nayok Hospital has ordered an investigation into an incident in which the driver of one of its ambulances, with a patient in critical condition on board, stopped on the way to hospital to pick up deep-fried bananas.

The hospital sent its representatives to apologise to family of Sommai Thongkerd, 64, who was being “rushed” to the hospital with difficulty breathing on October 13.

On the way to the hospital, the driver stopped briefly to pick up the snack from a roadside vendor. It is reported that the driver ordered it online and told the vendor to wait and pass him the food on his way to the hospital.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Gee, it would have been nice if the driver or the ambulance transfering me from the Military Hospital to the Bankok Hospital, both in Udon Thani slowed or stopped for bananas.

OK, I was not in a life threatening situation until they threw the gurney into the vehicle the idiot was driving.

• Haha 1

Critical vs life threatening ... need a bit more clarity.  Was he receiving oxygen (would think so), and if planned correctly, how long did the stop actually take.  30 seconds.  If the driver wasn't running traffic signals on the way, then far from life threatening.  

I was transported, (1 year ago) PKK to Hua Hin, @ 90kph, w/stops at traffic lights ... and they stopped on the way, at an accident scene.   When wife questioned, told 'they had to', unless I was in life threatening situation.   If needed to pick a dying patient, would I be dropped off 😂 as not sure 2 gurneys would fit in the back, as already had 2 nurses with me.  Sure they would manage, but sounds like BS to me & just wanted another 'fare'.

They did seem in a big rush to get rid of me at PKK hosp once stabilized, and as soon as arriving at HH hosp, right to the procedure, followed by ICE for 12 hours, with monitoring every 15 minutes the first 6 hrs, then every hour after.  No time wasted door to door, but no movie scene drama through traffic either.

Then kicked my butt out of ICE, as needing the bed.  I even discharged myself the next day.  As no plans waiting around 'not be observed' to fit the docs weekend schedule, who didn't show for my appointment on Tuesday.

Critical vs life threatening ... possibly neither, unless ignored on initial symptoms, and maybe lifestyle limiting without procedure.

Not seeing either (me or OP) as life threatening, though not the most professional stop along the way.

Hope they shared the bananas ... or that would really be rude.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Critical vs life threatening ... need a bit more clarity.  Was he receiving oxygen (would think so), and if planned correctly, how long did the stop actually take.  30 seconds.  If the driver wasn't running traffic signals on the way, then far from life threatening.  

I was transported, (1 year ago) PKK to Hua Hin, @ 90kph, w/stops at traffic lights ... and they stopped on the way, at an accident scene.   When wife questioned, told 'they had to', unless I was in life threatening situation.   If needed to pick a dying patient, would I be dropped off 😂 as not sure 2 gurneys would fit in the back, as already had 2 nurses with me.  Sure they would manage, but sounds like BS to me & just wanted another 'fare'.

They did seem in a big rush to get rid of me at PKK hosp once stabilized, and as soon as arriving at HH hosp, right to the procedure, followed by ICE for 12 hours, with monitoring every 15 minutes the first 6 hrs, then every hour after.  No time wasted door to door, but no movie scene drama through traffic either.

Then kicked my butt out of ICE, as needing the bed.  I even discharged myself the next day.  As no plans waiting around 'not be observed' to fit the docs weekend schedule, who didn't show for my appointment on Tuesday.

Critical vs life threatening ... possibly neither, unless ignored on initial symptoms, and maybe lifestyle limiting without procedure.

Not seeing either (me or OP) as life threatening, though not the most professional stop along the way.

Hope they shared the bananas ... or that would really be rude.

Yes. Just another article bout nothing. Unethical behavior, yes, but hardly newsworthy. The headline suggests that the driver stopped for a meal, but if we call it what is is we get 'a holiday' for mentioning the word. 

• Thumbs Up 1