Renting or Buying a Condo on a Tourist Visa

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

Why would you want to buy a condo if you don't live here for a longer period of time?

Because I can still live in Thailand for 5.5 months of the year on a tourist visa and still be classed as a Non Resident.

Many people seem desperate to currently sell their property now, as they plan to relocate to avoid the future tax hassles.

The markets are flooded with sellers. So could be a good time to buy as it is now the buyer who makes the rules (and the price)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

If I want to rent or buy a Condo on a tourist visa will I run into any problems.

No requirement for any visa, to rent or buy. 

Buying would require a bank account which can be difficult on a TV, unless you use an agent

• Like 1

Just now, Peterw42 said:

No requirement for any visa, to rent or buy. 

Buying would require a bank account which can be difficult on a TV, unless you use an agent

Thanks for the info. Already got a bank account, just need to do alot of research before I buy anything as dont want to get lumbered with something I cant sell if I decide to sell in the future. If I find a condo building I like I might rent an apartment in the building for 6 months first.

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

It remains to be seen if that is still possible in a couple of years.

Good Point but if they get too strict with their rules all the westerners will leave and travel to near by countries. The Thai Governments havent got a great track record with making rule changes. Look at the situation with weed, previously get caught with weed and you up <deleted>s creek without a paddle. Then they changed the rules, there is more weed shops now than convenience stores and then they decide maybe its wasnt such a good idea and they are going to possible change the rules again. I think if they get too strict with residency/tax rule changes they will make further adjustments down the road when they realize they have messed up.

12 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

just need to do alot of research before I buy anything as dont want to get lumbered with something I cant sell if I decide to sell in the future.

Don't forget it is much more difficult to sell as there's unlimited supply here, let's hope they don't screw up the tax rules

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

No they won't, many have don't any issues to comply with visa regulations.

You missed the point. I didnt say many of the westerners have issues with complying with visa regulations. If the Thai Government start taxing money coming into the country this will start an exodus.

2 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

What i still struggle with is getting a fix on the median price of a condo in Thailand..

It seems one could rock up and pay double the real price.

In the UK one can search actual sold prices by address/post code. 

right move website has huge data of price history/trends

Very good point. Lots of data in the UK to look at.

28 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

You missed the point. I didnt say many of the westerners have issues with complying with visa regulations. If the Thai Government start taxing money coming into the country this will start an exodus.

You said all Westerners would leave, which is not true at all.