Will immigration know that the couple divorced?

Yeah I'm thinking about becoming a bigamist. It has lots of advantages, but only one disadvantage....it's illegal.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a strictly law abiding guy....but if someone doesn't find out about something, has it really happened? (straight out of Orwell that, and recent too, 1984). So to continue the rhetorical debate....if I happened to be married, and also happened to have a girl friend, then married her, she should change her passport to married, and I could leave mine as married because it doesn't give the name of the person I'm married to. This is all hypothetical you understand. What is the chance that someone in the immigration or pisspot office would notice that anything was amiss? And then what is the chance they would do anything about it, like arresting my ex-wife (because I'd blame her). 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Madgee said:

I did hear from a friend of a friends friend of someone who got reported to immigration by their ex-wife looking for revenge! 
A large overstay fine and immediate deportation with a 1-year blacklisting. How true it is I don't know but it does seem plausible.

Gawd.   Friend of a friend's friend of someone does not seem to be even vaguely plausible.

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Madgee said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which "cowboys" (why, "cowboys"?) are those that use an expression of which everyone knows the actual meaning?

I'm pretty sure (why, ''pretty''?) you are capable of doing research yourself. 

Yes, I am, and there's no correlation between the derogatory term "cowboys" and  a person not using the exactly correct terminology for an extension.  I just thought that you may have an interesting way of explaining it!

13 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Don't want to start/hijack the thread.......but what of you are just separated? Does the wife have to be present when you renew? 

Yep 👍 along with the usual home visit and pictures of the two of you. And interviews of your neighbors.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

So I would have thought that once the marriage is dissolved, so is the extension due to marriage. I Don't think immigration would pick it up, but technically I think you might be on overstay, which if it does come to their attention will cause you big problems, particularly if you want to return to Thailand.

20 hours ago, retarius said:

she should change her passport to married, and I could leave mine as married because it doesn't give the name of the person I'm married to

Is your marital status recorded on your Passport? Not on mine, UK.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 1:34 PM, Jack1988 said:

Just wanted to know if immigration will know that a couple just divorced, but the marriage extension will expire in the next months

The criteria on which you based your extension application for reason of marriage no longer exists from the day you officially divorce.
In the case where your wife should decease, then the extension period is still honoured.

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2023 at 1:56 PM, DrJack54 said:

No problem.

Just exit Thailand prior to your current stamp expiry 

So would be possible to remain in thailand until his extension expiry even if the divorce has been done already? And no problem when he will have to go to the immigration passport control the day he will fly out of thailand? I mean immigration will not discover about the divorce when the officer will check the passport? I would appreciate if you could give me an answer, thanks

4 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

mean immigration will not discover about the divorce when the officer will check the passport? I would appreciate if you could give me an answer, thanks

Immigration at airport on departure will not be aware he is divorced.