Firing and Hiring new teachers every year?

It's commonly understood corruption is an acceptable daily part of Thai life, and schools are no exception.

I worked on and off for 10 years at several branches of the largest private school system in Southeast Asia. The advice given to all new farang teachers from existing farang teachers: "We're not here to teach, we're here to give the appearance of teaching." Of course that was a little tongue in cheek, but there was a lot of truth to that statement.

The examples of corruption ran strong with that school, from the directors on down. If they can avoid paying a promotion or any other bonus to a returning teacher, well it's just cheaper to let that teacher go and get another fresh victim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2023 at 12:43 PM, Expat68 said:

Not sure about the hiring and firing every year? I have many friends in the city where I live who have worked for the same schools for years

Most in my school have been there 5+years, many 10+years and a few 20+ years. 

No school in their right mid these days hires and fires teachers to somehow save a few baht.  I see very few backpackers these days, as most schools hire qualified non-native speakers and they work for less and don't complain as much. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/20/2023 at 7:31 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

It's commonly understood corruption is an acceptable daily part of Thai life, and schools are no exception.

I worked on and off for 10 years at several branches of the largest private school system in Southeast Asia. The advice given to all new farang teachers from existing farang teachers: "We're not here to teach, we're here to give the appearance of teaching." Of course that was a little tongue in cheek, but there was a lot of truth to that statement.

The examples of corruption ran strong with that school, from the directors on down. If they can avoid paying a promotion or any other bonus to a returning teacher, well it's just cheaper to let that teacher go and get another fresh victim.

I reckon I worked for the same cash cow, the president, now passed was well known as being insane , loyalty over skills or experience, provide as little as possible but extract the max from parents while all the time fooling everyone it is a Hi So 'school'.

• Like 1