What do we think of this from MG ?

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Do you have to take it apart to mend it in a layby on the A303, for the second time in a week, whilst your (soon to be ex) girlfriend watches impatiently.

If not, it is not an MG!

Aaah, a dodge the service and hopeless with a screwdriver kinda bloke..........😂

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It used to be said one bought two Jaguars, as one was guaranteed to be in the service shop being fixed.

I still remember one Austin - a Westminster or similar name - that still had wire mechanical brakes when everyone else had gone to hydraulics.

Who could forget the Hillman Imp, which went from terminal understeer to lethal oversteer on a small change in tyre pressure? Or the first Ford Prefect?

Thought this was an MG thread, not your rides of the 60's............😂

5 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

They keep their value extremely well.

How can you make this claim re: Chinese EVs? 

Come back in 10 years and we can talk resale value. 

I got 288K for a 10 year old suzuki swift, which is over 50% of it's retail value. 

N0 10 year old EV will manage that, regardless of where it is from. 

1 hour ago, transam said:

Thought this was an MG thread, not your rides of the 60's............😂

I stuck to cars produced in Oz until they stopped making them.

IIRC most of the Brit cars in Oz were imports from the Rootes Group, which my spellchecker calls Rooted. Quite observant, really.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

Aaah, a dodge the service and hopeless with a screwdriver kinda bloke..........😂

But nonetheless surprisingly good at getting them going in a layby on the side of the A303...

Mind you I had plenty of experience.

I remember once breaking down on the way back from a service!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

But nonetheless surprisingly good at getting them going in a layby on the side of the A303...

Mind you I had plenty of experience.

I remember once breaking down on the way back from a service!

What, the bird or the car............😂

• Haha 2

''cyberster'' the curse of dreadful car names continues.  They had every language in the world ancient and new to choose from and the might of AI to pick a name and that is it.  The cyber stir cybersex dumbster.

Edited by Chris Daley

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The MG 5 sedan has received the lowest safety scores – in both crash protection and crash avoidance – ever awarded to new vehicles in Australia.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/mg-5-mahindra-scorpio-zero-star-safety-ratings/?fbclid=IwAR0hiDOUsmkJWHD-iRslKpwJWEbsnzkBSsuIUghGcyyd7X7pnWLXutwpdrA

Gawd, it's safer to ride your bicycle than travel in a MG 5

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/mg-5-receives-zero-star-ancap-safety-rating

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2023 at 5:48 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

The MG 5 sedan has received the lowest safety scores – in both crash protection and crash avoidance – ever awarded to new vehicles in Australia.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/mg-5-mahindra-scorpio-zero-star-safety-ratings/?fbclid=IwAR0hiDOUsmkJWHD-iRslKpwJWEbsnzkBSsuIUghGcyyd7X7pnWLXutwpdrA

MG use legacy General Motors technology.  The MG5, ZS etc are based on a cost-reduced GM D2 platform. D2 was originally designed by GM/Opel Russelsheim for the Astra, Cruze etc. in Western markets but was deemed too expensive for MG products and so a simplified and lighter version was produced (GM  PATAC platform) with slightly shorter wheelbase. Not really a very surprising result if you had anything to do with MG.

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

MG use legacy General Motors technology.  The MG5, ZS etc are based on a cost-reduced GM D2 platform. D2 was originally designed by GM/Opel Russelsheim for the Astra, Cruze etc. in Western markets but was deemed too expensive for MG products and so a simplified and lighter version was produced (GM  PATAC platform) with slightly shorter wheelbase. Not really a very surprising result if you had anything to do with MG.

Equate our ZSs to GM ... blasphemy :laugh:

More like origins, though not much resemblance to BMW MG Rover 75.   Group owner, Nanjing Automobile Corporation (NAC) acquired the tooling for the car. Both companies launched revised versions of the 75/ZT in China. SAIC's model was named the Roewe 750 (following the purchase of the Rover brand by Ford, the Roewe marque was created by SAIC for use worldwide) and NAC's the MG 7.

SAIC purchased technology relating to the Rover 75 ... after the 2005 collapse of MG Rover.  

The Roewe RX3 is a subcompact crossover manufactured by SAIC's sub brand, Roewe.   The RX3 crossover shares the underpinnings with the MG ZS, and is positioned below the Roewe RX5 compact crossover.

On 12/16/2023 at 4:42 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Gawd, it's safer to ride your bicycle than travel in a MG 5

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/mg-5-receives-zero-star-ancap-safety-rating

The budget-priced MG 5 sedan from China will receive upgrades to its crash structure and crash-avoidance technology after it was hit with a zero-star safety rating last week.

https://www.facebook.com/100064563618875/posts/pfbid0CWshg2Au214EJXcQnkizwEq6Y3Y1TjNvcSqgq5VWpn5aG2snNRDjcbDck6eK96Gml/?mibextid=Nif5oz