Stolen Credit Card Numbers

Danderman123

I did post on here some months ago---everyone should remove their CVV number from their card.

Take a photo of it for your phone or write it down--but dont keep it on the card  then start using it in hotels / restaurants etc....thats madness......:w00t:

Only one experience. Credit card was used in NJ. I sent the bank a photo of my Passport entry date in Thailand. They handled it from there. It has been yesars, they may have sent the new card. Upon renewal dates, I have had the new cards sent to my Thai address, although my "billing address" remains in the USA. The companies have both US and Thai contact information.

15 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Only one experience. Credit card was used in NJ. I sent the bank a photo of my Passport entry date in Thailand. They handled it from there. It has been yesars, they may have sent the new card. Upon renewal dates, I have had the new cards sent to my Thai address, although my "billing address" remains in the USA. The companies have both US and Thai contact information.

The problem comes when the stolen credit card is used for web purchases.

On 10/23/2023 at 5:41 PM, KannikaP said:

It's been said before, but how can someone do a transaction on a Card if they only have the 16 digit number. To use at an ATM the PIN is needed, and to do an internet transaction the CVV is needed.

If you use the physical card in Thailand, someone can copy the CVV on the back of the card. So getting cash from an ATM is usually better (unless there is a skimming device in the slot).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/23/2023 at 4:13 PM, Danderman123 said:

so I have to have someone send me photos of the replacement cards.

You don't need photos, not a good idea.

you just need the card number, Exp date and security code. 
Send numbers not all together. Use different messengers. Some by Line, some fb, and some by emails. 

• Haha 1

"This allows me online use of the cards. But some hotels need to see the actual card, which requires me to go to America to get the physical card."

You could register your card with Google or Apply pay (don't need the physical card for this). This enables you to pay in shops and hotels and even get money from ATMs that support cardless withdrawals.

As a precaution for yours and similar problems I carry at least two CC from different banks and different CC organizations.
Details (in German) here: 
karten - Weltweit im Ruhestand

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Old Nomad said:

"This allows me online use of the cards. But some hotels need to see the actual card, which requires me to go to America to get the physical card."

You could register your card with Google or Apply pay (don't need the physical card for this). This enables you to pay in shops and hotels and even get money from ATMs that support cardless withdrawals.

As a precaution for yours and similar problems I carry at least two CC from different banks and different CC organizations.

I carry 4.

Two are canceled due to fraud, so I am down to 2. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A number of years ago I had fraudulent charges on my credit and debit cards  Both cards were in my possession.  
Banks will usually send you a replacement or updated card to your overseas address.  You need to contact the card issuers and explain the situation 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

A number of years ago I had fraudulent charges on my credit and debit cards  Both cards were in my possession.  
Banks will usually send you a replacement or updated card to your overseas address.  You need to contact the card issuers and explain the situation 

I am traveling around Europe now. No way to receive the cards.

52 minutes ago, Old Nomad said:

I presume "Apply Pay" = "Apple Pay".

I wonder how many hotels here in Portugal accept Google Pay.

1 hour ago, placnx said:

If you use the physical card in Thailand, someone can copy the CVV on the back of the card. So getting cash from an ATM is usually better (unless there is a skimming device in the slot).

Skimmers dont have to only be in the card slot. they can be hand held or even just be walked past you and they can pull info off the cards in your wallet.