Trouble with 6-month passport?

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Airline websites need 6 month. In program

At counter they may not.

Most airline systems do, in fact, correctly reflect Thai Immigration rules, and will not insist on six month passport validity.

That does not change my advice. Do not travel with a passport that expires within the next six months. Too many complications are possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2023 at 3:34 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

They do pay attention to these details when you check-in at the counter so big chance you will be refused to board.

> To enter Thailand one’s passport only need be valid for intended period of stay
> The OP better get a new passport before attempting to fly to Thailand 

For those with limited comprehension skills please stop reading HERE, or simply mark “confused” 😕 and move on. 

The “need to be valid for period of intended stay only” also true for *Japan and some others. But because because some airlines will prevent you from boarding due arbitrary “6 month” rules actovr their check-in systems there is a risk not applying for a new passport ASAP. These systems appear to be designed for the lowest common intellectual denominator for easy operation for High School educated employees at Hot Spring, Arkansas airport. What if a now unplanned side trip to another country becomes desirable? So is it 6 calendar months or do the systems count 183~days? Are we aware 2024 is a leap year? As always been the case YOU the traveler are responsible for preparing all required travel documents, visas, and vaccinations, not the airline.
If denied boarding not a valid reason for refund outside of the fare rules you agreed to when you purchased the ticket.

I have seen the tears at the ticket counter. Renew it now. I renew my US passport as soon as practical as required by my employer and they pay for it so I have no excuse not to

*The airlines may also prevent you from transiting Japan airports without a passport valid for 6 months. 

Edited by Captain Monday

9 hours ago, Caldera said:

That's not the case. Airports of Thailand has a list of acceptable documents for domestic flights. I often fly with my Thai DL for ID, which is acceptable.

Here's that list:

https://www.airportthai.co.th/en/which-documents-are-accepted-for-domestic-travel/

Thx, as I mentioned in the reply above to hotandsticky, things must have changed since I last travelled, and I was talking from my experience and sighting of AirAsia's policy regarding documents required to board domestic flights at the time.

But good to know now for future travel, which in any case I would have a passport with me, because sometimes it just isn't worth the argument. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2023 at 9:37 AM, MangoKorat said:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/thai-visas-americans/

Last year I had a trip to Thailand planned and would be arriving with 5 months left on my passport.  I called the Thai embassy in London to ask if that was OK and was told that my passport must have 6 months remaining from the date or arriving in the country.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Thailand.html

Then you look on another State Department information page and 6 month validity is "recommended"

Please check the link, it is current. I remember  another page on the US Embassy Thailand site said "highly recommended" while the quoted page indeed another said "required".

No news often embassy/consular site pages  contradictory or outdated/incorrect information.

I do not comment on UK passports perhaps the rules are different

When Ubon Joe was here as I recall he always posted " Need be valid for period of intended stay"

Could contain:

Edited by Captain Monday