Not Liking Thai People

JimTripper

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

The average IQ here is 88, which doesn't say they are stupid but less intelligent than many other countries

This isn't reason to dislike anyone but consider this if you feel like you're not making connections here and the ones you have are shallow. For reference janitors in America were once sampled to have an IQ of 90 which means you're basically living in a country of janitors. If you're above average IQ it's going to be basically impossible to make deep connections with 99% of the population.

Just imagine what it would be like if 50% of the people in your country were less intelligent than your average janitor. It's devastating really but fortunately Thai's are friendly and easy going people so just try to enjoy the simple things in life and you'll at least feel welcomed.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I didn't disagree but stated the US is people from ALL countries, and from what I saw living there 62 years, the ones who were the least friendly were the Asians.

I've gone on the record before but the average person I met in Colorado (where I'm from) and especially from the mid-west region and miles above any Asian in terms of friendliness. How often do you see a Thai person have a casual conversion with a stranger in public? They usually don't even say thank you to cashiers, something which would be considered extremely rude in America. I could go on and on about the ways Thais are not courteous to each other in public but I bet most of you already know this.

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

This isn't reason to dislike anyone but consider this if you feel like you're not making connections here and the ones you have are shallow. For reference janitors in America were once sampled to have an IQ of 90 which means you're basically living in a country of janitors. If you're above average IQ it's going to be basically impossible to make deep connections with 99% of the population.

Just imagine what it would be like if 50% of the people in your country were less intelligent than your average janitor. It's devastating really but fortunately Thai's are friendly and easy going people so just try to enjoy the simple things in life and you'll at least feel welcomed.

My gf has a uni degree and her IQ would be ok. Those dating bargirls its like talking to a teddy bear.

Just now, bignok said:

My gf has a uni degree and her IQ would be ok. Those dating bargirls its like talking to a teddy bear.

In America I think the average university student is something like 110 IQ, so higher than average as a baseline. I think engineers, doctors etc.. are 130 and math majors 130+ then beyond that are philosophy majors.

You can dig around to find this information from the past but they've obviously stopped testing IQ now and in fact dropping requirements to meet diversity quotas. US is digging it's grave but that's for another thread.

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

My time here has had it ups and downs, but I imagine it would be the same wherever I lived. 

There was the 5 year pink cloud here, then reality hit home, things pissed me off, for the next 10-15 years. Over 20 years things get better and you learn to integrate. IMHO, it is racist to not want to adapt to a foreign culture. When in Rome.....

This is all true but it's also true that you should let the rotten parts of a culture dominate the good people who are doing things right. All the things that piss us off about Thailand do the same for many Thai people, i.e. dangerous driving, stray dogs, burning, noise etc... We should all be fighting back with the locals against these bad actors and it should never be seen as "Thai bashing".

17 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

This is all true but it's also true that you should let the rotten parts of a culture dominate the good people who are doing things right. All the things that piss us off about Thailand do the same for many Thai people, i.e. dangerous driving, stray dogs, burning, noise etc... We should all be fighting back with the locals against these bad actors and it should never be seen as "Thai bashing".

True. 

I think the op needs a trip back to his hometown. 

Every time I go back to rainy Scotland it puts things in perspective. 

Hard guys bumping into me when bealking down the main street at night, etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I think the op needs a trip back to his hometown. 

100% For me it really helps my mood to go back home during the summer and visit my parents while they're still alive.

It doesn't matter how much you like Thailand, if you have one of those bad days with the locals it can hurt on an emotional level and turn you against people in general. That's why I'm dedicated to controlling my living situation more and avoiding the bad neighbors that make your daily life miserable. We can't escape driving or burning in the north though so it's best to just get away once in a while.

36 minutes ago, bignok said:

A  degree from a Thai university doesn't count for much in Thailand, even less in other countries. There are graduates working in MacDonald's and KFC.

Some bar girls are very smart, how else would they take the life savings of a foreigner, or have half a dozen of them on a string?

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, bignok said:

LOL!  😂

Did you p!55 yourself when you typed that?

Perhaps she doesn't need a calculator to work out that there is 27 Baht change from 100 Baht if something costs 73 Baht.

My partner worked in a bar and can work out what treble 18 is as soon as the dart hits the board.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

In America I think the average university student is something like 110 IQ, so higher than average as a baseline. I think engineers, doctors etc.. are 130 and math majors 130+ then beyond that are philosophy majors.

You can dig around to find this information from the past but they've obviously stopped testing IQ now and in fact dropping requirements to meet diversity quotas. US is digging it's grave but that's for another thread.

IQ in Thailand is lower than average because the education system does not encourage independent thought.

OTOH, Thais are among the most social people on the planet. IMO they would compare favorably with us in terms of emotional intelligence.

Smartphones must have been like manna from heaven for them.

Just now, Lacessit said:

IQ in Thailand is lower than average because the education system does not encourage independent thought.

OTOH, Thais are among the most social people on the planet. IMO they would compare favorably with us in terms of emotional intelligence.

Lots of research on the heritability of IQ. I'm convinced it's at least 50% genetic and you can't educate yourself out of it. I know where my limits are and you can only get so far with the brain your parents gave you 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You think smartphones have made them more sociable...................really?

Alcohol is the main thing that makes them sociable - and their great sense of 'sanook'.  Put a group of Thais together with alcohol, food and music and you will see a good time.

14 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Lots of research on the heritability of IQ. I'm convinced it's at least 50% genetic and you can't educate yourself out of it. I know where my limits are and you can only get so far with the brain your parents gave you 🙂 

I disagree. IMO I was successful in my chosen field because I worked in a range of industries before my final gig, which gave me a considerable edge compared to the people who had worked solely in that industry.

Doesn't everybody say Thais who have been outside Thailand are smarter than the ones who stay home, where the education system is designed to promote conformity?

Just now, Lacessit said:

I disagree. IMO I was successful in my chosen field because I worked in a range of industries before my final gig, which gave me a considerable edge compared to the people who had worked solely in that industry.

I bet you had a good baseline to start from. As for Thai's abroad there could be a bias in favor of intelligent people that are more willing to take risks because they feel more confident or simply have the skills and ability to let them go abroad in the first place.

23 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You think smartphones have made them more sociable...................really?

Alcohol is the main thing that makes them sociable - and their great sense of 'sanook'.  Put a group of Thais together with alcohol, food and music and you will see a good time.

As a one-off example, my GF seems to have the ability to make friends with other Thais within a few minutes of meeting them. I am not sure I envy the talent, because I would have trouble keeping track of them all.

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I bet you had a good baseline to start from. As for Thai's abroad there could be a bias in favor of intelligent people that are more willing to take risks because they feel more confident or simply have the skills and ability to let them go abroad in the first place.

The baseline was good, although my parents did wonder where it came from.

50% genetic implies there is another 50% available for improving IQ if one is willing to work. Some are content to coast on what they have.

As Gary Player said, the more I practice, the luckier I get.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

11 hours ago, VinnieK said:

You could have saved a lot of time by simply calling them 'boring simpletons' 

Btw...I avoid most farangs here too.

Beer, prostitutes and ball-games on t.v

seem to be their lot in life. 😱

Stop the earth..I want to get off!

People are way more stupid than I ever thought possible.

While there are boring simpletons here, your statement tends to generalize as much as the original posters statement. I've met a lot of rather boring and lifeless drunks here, but I've also met a lot of very accomplished, interesting, colorful, fun, great foreign friends here who I love hanging out with. There's generally a mixture, unfortunately the the dregs tend to get more press and more attention.

But there are some very substantial foreigners living here, you just have to be fortunate enough to meet them, and befriend them. You will not meet them in the bars. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vangrop said:

i think it is very hard for a farang to conversate with them in Thai. The accents and intonations are so difficult for farangs to replicate

And Thais have a very difficult time replicating the accents and intonations of, say, Brummie and Geordie.

4 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

i think that's true. a lot of the irritation i get is from people acting kind of dumb or not "getting it".

sometimes it's so dumb that i think they are acting that way to irritate me or as some sort of passive-aggressive behavior, which makes things worse and irritates me even more. i'm getting much better at just walking away and laughing it off, but when it happens all the time it's annoying.

14 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Been progressively getting worse through the years. Narcissism , especially among world leaders, has lead to the downfall of society and many relationships. Alpha males are ruining the world daily, and some morons actually support these types, thinking they are somehow above others in their ways, when actually they are all inferior little boys needing power to control others around them.

Blimey I really thought I was going mad and was the only person thinking like this, Im sick to death of the narcissistic  world around me, where every  girls dream it to be an airhead "essex" type  bloaty  lipped ugly as  sin ,plucked eyebrowed cretin who thinks "theyre it" combined with a gob<deleted>e  mouth and phone welded to theiur  pathetic  heads.

Personally I stay away from everyone i dont pick and choose, friends are almost  impossible to find anywhere.

Your post above is  just about the same as  my experiences  ion Thailand (17years) even my Wife was assaulted as  young girl in her  village some family member trying to shag her, at a young  age, the Thai underbelly is pretty grim.

|But again I dont restrict it to Thai sam happy to slag off  the what I see as yobby Brits where thug  culture tattoo emblazoned steroided out kids  must spend all day working out because " its all that matters"  in their narcissistic  little  look at me  world. Decent people are the absolute exception these days. I know 2-3 worldwide.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Decent people are the absolute exception these days. I know 2-3 worldwide.

If your rants are evidence of the outgoing attitudes and image you present then they've perhaps been avoiding you !!!... 

There are plenty of decent people out there in Thailand, Thai and non-Thai..... BUT, people reap what they sew and if they are presenting a wholly negative outward attitude the response they receive will be less than favourable.  

Those very same folk will struggle wherever they are.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Interacting with them is then like practicing a learned skill. I count it as a victory that I managed to get a smile out of the Mayor when I got my yellow book at Pattaya City Hall.

I doubt that.

It was most likely,  wind.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Hard to believe people still believe and post this utter rubbish. 

IQ means nothing. If it did, I’d be regarded as a genius ☺️
Some people, perhaps like yourself, just like things over simplified/black & white, in so you can use it as a cudgel against ‘the others’. Obviously it makes you feel better about yourself. 

I would say my formative education gave me an advantage in IQ testing. In that I could sail through it effortlessly. In fact it was more irritating to me that I had to do it at all. 
So perhaps I share that trait. I don’t like to think too much, only when necessary. I use my brain for other things. As do the people who perhaps don’t score highly on a particular IQ scale. They perhaps excel in other ways. The truly intelligent can harness that. Join with it and increase their overall experience. So many who claim to have a high IQ are truly idiotic in other ways. I prefer to have balance. Harmony. 
So I disagree. If the OP were more intelligent he would be able to create a positive experience. Instead he fails and blames everything outside himself. But we know that he is the problem. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, quake said:

I doubt that.

It was most likely,  wind.

I actually have met these people and they were most courteous. Mayor and  his right hand man. 
Do you imagine that they were thugs running around bludgeoning people? They dealt with my concern personally. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Us? 🤭

Did you write this just after visiting immigration? The trick is this, pretend you are in severe headache pain and it digs deep into their compassion sensors and your treatment should improve. For the tough ones you may need to fall to the ground and fake a heart attack. 

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Doesn't everybody say Thais who have been outside Thailand are smarter than the ones who stay home, where the education system is designed to promote conformity?

IQ is mostly genetic, as much as 80% in some studies, and more than 50% in all studies. Why you got ahead isn't all about intelligence but drive. People have proven time and again that want is sometimes better than have. Thais that have been outside Thailand are exactly the same as those that have stayed, besides the fact they have found a partner to get them out, so are lucky in that respect. Those who visit for reasons other than spouses are usually students, who still might not be any smarter than their peers at home but just had more money to travel with. Those, like my school owner friend here, who have been educated in America, have nothing but good to say about the education system there, as opposed to what's here.