advice on purchasing a motorcycle

mavrik

"anything else I should know?"

You are definitely going to fall off.

The fall may involve another road use but you, a novice, one way or another, are definitely going to fall off.

The better the safety gear you wear the less it hurts

👍

The fall may involve another road user but you, a novice, one way or another, are definitely going to fall off.

👍

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JayClay said:
On 10/26/2023 at 6:51 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Buy a decent Scooter with ABS and and 'combo-breaking'...   If you still want a larger bike, evolve into it.

Ideal bike to start with: I'd recommend a Honda ADV 160 (opinions of others will vary of course

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

Some good advice there but I'd say even 160cc is overkill for Bangkok. You're never going to need that power.

When I was living there I had a Yamaha Aerox 155 but only because I was living and working on the outskirts of Bangkok and would occasionally use it to go on longer trips out of town on weekends. Therefore the compromise of a slightly bigger bike made sense to me at the time.

If I had been in central Bangkok, or if I wasn't planning on the longer journeys, I would have gotten a 125. And that's having already had 20 years of experience riding bikes (scooters).

The fact that the OP has apparently never even ridden a bike before only makes me want to double down on my suggestion: Get a 125!

I'm in full agreement with @richard_smith237 regarding ABS (see my earlier post about the day it saved me from a serious accident) and unless things have changed recently, it's still only the larger capacity scooters that are so equipped.

I don't think that 160cc is overkill at all @JayClay. The extra power in a larger scooter doesn't manifest so much as extra speed, rather it shows up as better acceleration (I have both a Click 125 and an Aerox 155 so I'm able to compare) and good acceleration in city traffic is a real godsend. Just as in a horse race, the steed that's out of the gate first has a distinct advantage over the field and is in the safest position. At lights I always maneuver myself to the front and I take off full throttle (when it's safe to do so of course). Whilst the rest of the herd is still jockeying for position I'm off down the road and well away from the scrum. It's by far the safest place to be.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I now understand that by feathering the clutch you mean using the clutch, and of course you must use the clutch on a non auto bike. To me the term “feathering the clutch” means to partially engage is so that it slips but still provides forward momentum, and that is something I virtually never do

It is possible but only if the clutch is so worn as to have required replacement some long time ago 😉 

There your analogy breaks down. When driving in slow to stop go traffic in a manual car you have zero option but to use the clutch. When driving in the same traffic on a bike you can filter through the majority of the traffic without stopping and little use of the clutch if you have the slow stable riding skills that come from doing it for hours daily, FWIW I would class the rider in the video I posted as not the most experienced, as while he may have just qualified at 10 seconds (it’s not easy to get an exact time) he was far less stable than he could have been and inconsistent in speed. As to being tedious the squishy automatic is significantly less responsive and requires much more use of brakes so it’s swings and roundabouts. Ride it as if you’re in a car the squishyness becomes irrelevant. Ride it faster through traffic and I am sure which transmission will get you there faster and more comfortably. 

This is turning into a ridiculous d!ck contest about who has better riding knowledge… when coming to a stop or slowing to a near stop you need to use your clutch… 

An auto is just easier in heavy traffic…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

The fall may involve another road user but you, a novice, one way or another, are definitely going to fall off.

👍

Daft comment…

I could fall off tomorrow, however, in well over a decade of riding here I haven’t… so, telling the op he’s definitely going to fall off is something that’s impossible to predict. 

Safety gear, yes.. that’s a solid point / ATGATT… 

Edited by richard_smith237

I know its fun and the hot weather makes riding pleasant ... BUT ... riding any bike anywhere in LOS is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

If you insist on going ahead make sure you have superb private health insurance cause sooner of later (if you don't get killed in the inevitable accident you WILL have, you're going to need that insurance). 

My advice don't do it! Buy a small car. 

On 10/27/2023 at 2:30 PM, richard_smith237 said:

One of the worst things about riding a motorcycle in Bangkok is the heat.

Sometimes the convenience of being able to 'split traffic' is offset by the heat, getting too hot and sweaty etc.

Using a TukTuk seems to combine both the inconvenience of getting stuck in heavy traffic and the discomfort of being exposed to the elements and heat !!... 

Although, obviously a TukTuk is safer than a bike as its 'harder to fall off'....  But, the same convenience can be achieved with a regular taxi and that comes with AC !!... 

Do you know, I can't remember ever being stuck in traffic when hiring a Tuk Tuk. The drivers know the short cuts in Bkk and don't get stuck very often.  I'm quite happy to brave the elements and don't need the creature comforts offered by thieving taxi drivers.

Well had to see what was the CBR 150, but it looks like a racer. Steering down low, you (can) will feel it when you are on bike longer. You are bend forwards, leaning on your hands, wrists.

For city rides , I would go with onemorefarang or vocalneal.

On those bikes you sit more straight up.

Once tried a Yamaha thundercat and I liked it, but bought a thunderace (higher cc's), but the ace was more lower sitting.

I thought they were about the same, but there was a difference in sitting position. Didnt try and bought.

Have regretted it and 2 years later changed to Suzuki bking. Sitting more straight up.

However those machines are more better for longer distances. A Bking is a 1300 ccc with 181 Hp, had to be really aware with that baby. Did once 220 km/h and still had gas to go, but I didnt. I believe it could go up to 300. So normally would do 150-180 km/h on very short tracks, as "my"country is filled with speed cams.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, delgarcon said:

Do you know, I can't remember ever being stuck in traffic when hiring a Tuk Tuk. The drivers know the short cuts in Bkk and don't get stuck very often.  I'm quite happy to brave the elements and don't need the creature comforts offered by thieving taxi drivers.

It seems you are suggesting that Tuk-Tuks don't get stuck in traffic which is quite wrong, they are subject to the same traffic as any other car.

Additionally, why would the TukTuk drivers know short cuts the taxi's don't ?

These 'short cuts' you talk of are known by most drivers so they too become gridlocked.

Also, TukTuk drivers are known for being more dishonest and rip off merchants than the taxi drivers.

If you prefer a TukTuk to a regular taxi thats perfectly fine of course, but the reasoning you present seems rather flawed. 

20 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

My advice don't do it! Buy a small car. 

Its certainly a safer option...  One of the 'good decisions' I made when I first arrived here was to get a car rather than a bike...  This helped me learn the complete unpredictability of traffic around me such that when I did get a bike I was instinctively aware that anything can and does unfold around you.... 

Having a car first, certainly made riding a motorbike safer a few years later. 

On 10/28/2023 at 11:52 AM, Moonlover said:

don't think that 160cc is overkill at all @JayClay. The extra power in a larger scooter doesn't manifest so much as extra speed, rather it shows up as better acceleration (I have both a Click 125 and an Aerox 155 so I'm able to compare) and good acceleration in city traffic is a real godsend

Agree to disagree, I guess.

In a big city, I'd say that the smaller size of a 125 far outweighs the advantages of faster acceleration. (I've had both a Click 125 and an Aerox 155 so I'm able to compare...)

Edited by JayClay

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Agree to disagree, I guess.

In a big city, I'd say that the smaller size of a 125 far outweighs the advantages of faster acceleration. (I've had both a Click 125 and an Aerox 155 so I'm able to compare...)

Physically they are just about about the same size and if the few centimeters difference is important to you I'd say your getting too close to other road users. I use the the extra power to get myself well clear of such situations.

One could of course buy a Click 160cc and add the extra safety of dual ABS. That would neutralize your 'size matters' argument. 😉

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Physically they are just about about the same size and if the few centimeters difference is important to you I'd say your getting too close to other road users. I use the the extra power to get myself well clear of such situations.

One could of course buy a Click 160cc and add the extra safety of dual ABS. That would neutralize your 'size matters' argument. 😉

Agreed.....   I've had the ABS surprise me by engaging a few times in Bangkok.

Of course, some will say I've 'grabbed to much brake'... or 'I need to increase my skill level'... Or 'skilled riders don't need ABS' etc etc...

Yes... they are amazing bike riders who've ridden the world yadda yadda yadda.....  For the rest of us normal people, ABS simply makes things so much safer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed.....   I've had the ABS surprise me by engaging a few times in Bangkok.

Of course, some will say I've 'grabbed to much brake'... or 'I need to increase my skill level'... Or 'skilled riders don't need ABS' etc etc...

Yes... they are amazing bike riders who've ridden the world yadda yadda yadda.....  For the rest of us normal people, ABS simply makes things so much safer. 

I've read and heard it many times throughout my riding years (many thereof) that you should regularly rehearse emergency stops so that you're prepared for them.

In my opinion it quite simply doesn't work. Why? Because there's no adrenaline and without adrenaline attempts at rehearsing them will never match the real thing. One simply doesn't have the guts to do it, because you knew that you were likely to be off the bike if you tried.

As I learned last year, In a full on emergency adrenaline does kick in and you grab the levers like a gorilla. There's no doubt in my mind that ABS saved me from a serious accident and I would say to anyone buying a motorcycle, if the funds allow, get ABS. It's a life saver.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I've read and heard it many times throughout my riding years (many thereof) that you should regularly rehearse emergency stops so that you're prepared for them.

In my opinion it quite simply doesn't work. Why? Because there's no adrenaline and without adrenaline attempts at rehearsing them will never match the real thing. One simply doesn't have the guts to do it, because you knew that you were likely to be off the bike if you tried.

As I learned last year, In a full on emergency adrenaline does kick in and you grab the levers like a gorilla. There's no doubt in my mind that ABS saved me from a serious accident and I would say to anyone buying a motorcycle, if the funds allow, get ABS. It's a life saver.

Absolutely agree....   Practicing 'hard braking' is of course a good thing...  

But...   it doesn't really help with a slippery surface, sandy surface, oily surface etc.. unless you are practicing all of those and then know exactly what surface you are on at all times - its simply not practical. 

My ABS has engaged over a drain cover I saw too late...  (sure I should have been riding more defensively to see such drain covers someone will say... but we're talking real world situations)...  Cars have slammed their brakes on for no reasons, rear wheel ABS comes on (not really an issue at all IMO, the rear wheel gets slightly skittish)... Front, no way I want that to skid or slip and the road surface here is so variable its simply unpredictable - its why I wont ride in the rain at all (until essential or caught out).

I do believe ABS has saved me from dropping the bike a couple of times, I'd never want to ride a bike without it (unless on a track etc - and lets face it, we don't ride on tracks and this is not about that).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

They are not the same size at all.

The Aerox was noticeably more difficult to weave through traffic, and to park in the tiny parking spaces found on the streets and in motorcycle sections of car parks. It was also significantly heavier, making it more awkward manoeuvring by hand in a tight spot.

I don't see how ABS helps with any of that, but good luck finding a Click 160 with abs right now, anyway. If you can find one, please let me know where!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

They are not the same size at all.

The Aerox was noticeably more difficult to weave through traffic, and to park in the tiny parking spaces found on the streets and in motorcycle sections of car parks. It was also significantly heavier, making it more awkward manoeuvring by hand in a tight spot.

I don't see how ABS helps with any of that, but good luck finding a Click 160 with abs right now, anyway. If you can find one, please let me know where!

Weaving through traffic? Tut tut! Back to my earlier comment. If the size of the bike matters, then your getting too close to other road users. But hey it's your neck not mine.

Take care. 

PS. Not knocking the Click at all. They're great little bike.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

There's no doubt in my mind that ABS saved me from a serious accident and I would say to anyone buying a motorcycle, if the funds allow, get ABS. It's a life saver.

Ok

Makes sense.

Will divest both my non-ABS bikes.

Tomorrow will buy bike w/ ABS.

😉

thx moon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, papa al said:

Sometimes when all the car traffic is stopped

and the lane split narrow too mut

best juke to the next slot over to cotinue;

repeat as appropriate.

I'm never in that much of a rush Papa. But I do agree, small machines do have the advantage in such situations.

1 hour ago, papa al said:

Ok

Makes sense.

Will divest both my non-ABS bikes.

Tomorrow will buy bike w/ ABS.

😉

thx moon.

There was a time when only racing cars and aeroplanes had ABS. Now it's a standard fit on every modern car. Maybe one day it will be true for all motorcycles as well. Be patient Papa. 😉

On 10/26/2023 at 4:06 PM, BE88 said:

"" I've never owned a motorcycle in my life""

The best advice I can give you is buy a car.

I have one already, thank you. I am your Louis Vuitton they clamor for but then try scam and con me all day. 

• Confused 1

On 10/26/2023 at 4:12 PM, KhunLA said:

Been riding motorcycles for over 40 yrs, all sizes, and I would not drive one in Bangkok...nuff said.

Buy a car or learn the bus routes.

wow.  I have have a car.  This would be supplementary just to get around town during busy rush hour. 

On 10/26/2023 at 4:21 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

When I arrived in Bangkok many years ago I thought I will never ride a bike here. Then I used motorcycle taxis for years. I learned a lot from them. How cars and trucks and bikes ride in general. Where they use legal shortcuts like some small alleys instead of the main roads. Where they use illegal shortcuts. On the junctions on my usual way: red lights which are ignored and any other crazy moves which are done by many riders all the time.

After years I bought a relative small and agile bike and I learned how to ride myself in this town.

I recommend you by a small bike like 150cc. I suggest one with gears and clutch so that you get used to that.

You will learn a lot with that little bike and if you have an accident or drop the bike, then the costs are not too high.

Something like this. Perfect for Bangkok. 100km/h is no problem. Fast enough for the city and small enough to wiggle between the cars.

1129.jpg

Hey Thank you kindly for understanding, these guys must think Im a dumbfock loser just because they are.  What a narrow minded POS's.  I am a go getter, I have vaccine, IF I DIE IF I DIE OK? I like to control my own destiny and not put in the hands of others, especially Thai. These losers sit home go pay for sex then complain about me hustling, working and having to pay for stuff and me not having to pay for sex. They get jealous when they see I don't have to pay for sex. Focking losers. Don't get a bike.

I think those are little too little.  I was thinking CBR 150R, MT 03, Ninja. I think they are all 150?  Any advice on these 3?

On 10/26/2023 at 4:46 PM, connda said:

Fair warning.  If you do.  Make sure you have and up-to-date health insurance policy that includes coverage for motorcycle accidents, life-insurance if you're married, and a last will and testament include how to dispose of your body if you are killed.

As far as bikes.  Honda Wave 125 is all you need for in city driving.  And if you total it or someone else totals it for you, your only out $1000 USD and change. And you can get it fixed virtually anywhere in Thailand. You need maneuverability in the city.  Not speed and power. 

But?  Unless you have a whole lot of MC experience before driving on Thai roads - It's still dangerous as hell. 
You've been warned.  Don't take it lightly.  Best of luck.

Thank you

10 minutes ago, mavrik said:

wow.  I have have a car.  This would be supplementary just to get around town during busy rush hour. 

For me, that would be the time I wouldn't want to be on the roads, let alone a MB, though do see the advantage when gridlock.

Be Safe