Forum upgrade in progress! ×

advice on purchasing a motorcycle

mavrik

On 10/27/2023 at 10:41 AM, Moonlover said:

You've had tons of advise here (and some very stupid comments) so I hope it has all been helpful and not too confusing @mavrik

Two points I'll pick up on. Firstly I do agree with @richard_smith237 regarding the advantage of (Auto) motor scooters over geared machines, at least when it comes to city riding. There really is a distinct advantage in not having to consider gear changing in the middle of heavy traffic. I wouldn't dismiss them without trying one out first.

Secondly, if at all possible, choose a machine with ABS. I 'ummed 'n' ahhed' about spending the extra 6k on my Aerox ABS until the day that a motorcycle/trailer swung a U turn on me in a narrow country road! Braking was my only option so I grabbed the levers like I was a gorilla and the bike came to a completely straight line halt under full control and without any drama. ABS definitely saved me from a serious accident that day.

India has now made ABS a mandatory requirement on all new bikes over 125 cc and for good reason.

There's an interesting article about ABS on motorcycles right here. ABS on motorcycles

Good luck and safe riding and remember, always wear your helmet.

🙂. Thank you so much. Now I am thinking about not getting one.  Dilemma, Dilemma.  I have a car already. I thought it would be just one or two person but every non thai person has told me not to get one but the problem is that I continue to have to ride the Grab Moto Taxi.  Thank you again, even the comments from the soi hooker sex payers.  

Hey guys,

I have been riding motobikes for 69 years here in Thailand all up and down the coast and mountains of Thailand.  I am bald and pot bellied and drink cheap beers all day and love to jump off balconies.  I am currently in need of a motobike to go soi hooker hopping from soi to soi to fulfill my one minute dream so I can get tired again.  I was thinking of Ninja 150/250, CBR 150R or Yamaha mt03.  Anyone know anything about these bikes?  

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2023 at 4:06 PM, BE88 said:

"" I've never owned a motorcycle in my life""

The best advice I can give you is buy a car.

We barely met, why do you love me so much? Because I am handsome?   Well hung?  Wife tell you?  How did you find out?

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2023 at 4:58 PM, CHdiver said:

I would go with a scooter. Automatic will be a best in the heavy traffic in Bangkok. Manual is murder in a city like Bangkok. Maybe a ADV 160? Now, before you go and buy one, go and rent different models, including the manual ones you mentioned. Then decide. If you don't drive like a maniac or drunk, then you are fairly safe. Good helmet is a must. 

I was thinking that but why not just get a small motobike that is cooler? I am a cool asss mofo so...straight up. I like style

On 10/26/2023 at 5:07 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Lots of “don’t buy one” I’ve ridden motorcycles in Thailand for years on my trips over here. The only reason I don’t ride now is I live in the countryside and have no need for short transport, if I do I use SWMBO’s bike. I have ridden from Bangkok to Singapore and back, Bangkok to Chang Mai but took the train back all on a 110cc bike, with the bike. Today it’s a 120km round trip to town and a car is better for me. If I lived in Bangkok I would have a motorcycle again.

Recommendations;

get an expensive good quality helmet,

don’t ride in flip flops wear bike boots, a friend didn’t he lost toes in an accident.

wear gloves.

wear a long sleeved jacket leather is best

wear long trousers 

If you can’t commit to wearing sensible clothes DO NOT GET A BIKE. Accidents happen good clothing like a leather jacket drastically reduce the damage you suffer. 

I don't know how to tell you this.  I am a different farang than most.  if you see me you will know.  I am a perfectionist. I am not like these loser farangs.  I have to wear suits for work.  I am very responsible very anal about everything.  Thai people hate me I don't care.

On 10/26/2023 at 10:12 PM, Middle Aged Grouch said:

If available I may push to further consider those light summer bike jackets padded with protective spine plate with shoulder and elbow shield inserts.

Excellent choice, I have the mesh jacket with armour.

On 10/28/2023 at 9:25 AM, JayClay said:

Some good advice there but I'd say even 160cc is overkill for Bangkok. You're never going to need that power.

When I was living there I had a Yamaha Aerox 155 but only because I was living and working on the outskirts of Bangkok and would occasionally use it to go on longer trips out of town on weekends. Therefore the compromise of a slightly bigger bike made sense to me at the time.

If I had been in central Bangkok, or if I wasn't planning on the longer journeys, I would have gotten a 125. And that's having already had 20 years of experience riding bikes (scooters).

The fact that the OP has apparently never even ridden a bike before only makes me want to double down on my suggestion: Get a 125!

I will probably buy a brand new CBR 150R.  I will be taking it very very slow you know like with a girl that you don't have to pay for? I will be test driving it not busy areas first, etc...If I don't feel safe, I will take the loss and just sell it.  I plan on renting a bike first as well to practice.  This all goes without saying for me but.

NEWSFLASH:  Did you know that freelancers in bangkok are actually hookers? Imagine that

On 10/26/2023 at 10:45 PM, richard_smith237 said:

How to get to the Sky Train ????....  Take a Taxi ???... what about the gridlocked traffic ??... Take a Moto-taxi ???

Want to put your safety in the hands of an uneducated someone who hardly values their own safety ????

High 9 inches!

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2023 at 10:45 PM, richard_smith237 said:

How to get to the Sky Train ????....  Take a Taxi ???... what about the gridlocked traffic ??... Take a Moto-taxi ???

Want to put your safety in the hands of an uneducated someone who hardly values their own safety ????

i actually think that its easier to drive during rush hour.  I will just be following others.  Im not going to be popping wheelies nor will I be the first off the line Im not black. But I will be the tallest andthe  best looking person for sure.

On 10/26/2023 at 10:47 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Absolutely agree.....    I have the Rev'it Airwave (with back protector - it also has shoulder and elbow pads)... and use in Bangkok... Its still too damn hot though. 

Boots also.... though I must admit to using boots less on a scooter, I used them every time with a 'real motorcycle'.

A good protective 'AC Jacket' would be an amazing invention !!!... 

Could contain:

Could contain:

I would wear helmet and jacket for sure 100% of the time.  I have to stay super Pasty white you know.

22 minutes ago, mavrik said:

You give me headache

It's definitely the inexperience, never owned part that we highly recommend not learning to drive a MB in Krung Thep.   Not saying you couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't, but so many fail miserably when first riding a MB.  You don't want to have an oops in traffic, especially fast moving.

Even myself, first time, totally ignorant, and I hit a damn house .. at speed,  Knocked my A$$ out, and thankfully the owner, made me wear a helmet, or I might not be here today.

OK, you guys can stop clapping, wishful thinking is too late.

A good, skilled, confident driver, should have no problem, especially a bit more mature than I was, in learning to drive a scooter here.   But learn on the back sois, before putting yourself in an 'emergency situation' as bikes don't handle like cars.  So many things to watch out for.  Loose  traction on 1 wheel, you're going down.   Car, all four, and you're still protected.

First week driving a MC, 750cc, I was constantly thinking about what I was doing, as never drove one before buying (except that one oops), and took it on a country road to teach myself.   Lots of mistakes that day/week before reacting was 2nd nature.  I crossed the 'center line' more than a few times on curves.  Leaning with the bike, paying attention to everything on the road, wet/shiny spots (water or oil), sand, gravel, know when not to use front brake.   Takes a while to master, so in an emergency, there's no thought involved, you just react.

Why so many inexperience tourist, end up in hospital here, and many, just themselves losing control, and no other vehicles involved.  

IF hell bent on getting one, then take a peek at electric, if not needing to go far or top end fast.   Quick of the line, and almost full automatic, just a selector button to allow more juice at higher speeds.

DECO line of scooters, start at <30k baht.   I have the SUSU model, and love it.

If you like style:

image.png.fa91f5ff4740612186b33d066c407e34.png

Edited by KhunLA

On 10/28/2023 at 8:45 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

Well had to see what was the CBR 150, but it looks like a racer. Steering down low, you (can) will feel it when you are on bike longer. You are bend forwards, leaning on your hands, wrists.

For city rides , I would go with onemorefarang or vocalneal.

On those bikes you sit more straight up.

Once tried a Yamaha thundercat and I liked it, but bought a thunderace (higher cc's), but the ace was more lower sitting.

I thought they were about the same, but there was a difference in sitting position. Didnt try and bought.

Have regretted it and 2 years later changed to Suzuki bking. Sitting more straight up.

However those machines are more better for longer distances. A Bking is a 1300 ccc with 181 Hp, had to be really aware with that baby. Did once 220 km/h and still had gas to go, but I didnt. I believe it could go up to 300. So normally would do 150-180 km/h on very short tracks, as "my"country is filled with speed cams.

My intent is to only drive it when Im going to use the Grab Moto.  I have my car, then I use grab car when I go out to my orgies.  Probably only drive it when I plan on using the grab moto.  because it is frigging easier to get around.  I read before coming here NONONONONONO motobike but then my friend showed me in Asoke I had no choice.  I got stuck for 1hour couldn't get a grab. He was already there for hour.  So I started on my Grab Moto Trek WITH NO HELMET. When you are here long enough, you lower your standards and become a loser and start wearing shorts, flip flops, get fat, bald, I mean you start not wearing condoms and helmets. 

On 10/26/2023 at 5:07 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

don’t ride in flip flops wear bike boots, a friend didn’t he lost toes in an accident.

wear gloves.

wear a long sleeved jacket leather is best

wear long trousers 

If an accident doesn't kill the lad, the hear from this gear surely will.    :post-4641-1156694005:

On 10/28/2023 at 7:54 AM, KhunLA said:

Yep ... that's how I read it, as an experienced, confident driver wouldn't ever post the query with that little tidbit.  Why I suggest 'take he bus'

Thailand, especially a congested city with everyone in a hurry, is not the place to learn.  Fine for the back sois, local neighborhoods, but any commute in rush hour is risky.   Only plus is, sometimes the gridlock is safer, due to low speeds.  With that, comes a lot of unexpected lane changes, and not everyone is using their mirrors beforehand.

As the tourist oops make the news, it's obvious, one needs to be an experienced rider in TH.

How do you guys live?  How do you breathe? Soi dogs are more brave than you.  I would never be caught dead in a MG BTW so we definitely are not alike but thank you.  Do you ever cross the street without holding mommys hands?

• Sad 1

On 10/28/2023 at 8:37 AM, brianthainess said:

Sorry have not read all posts, by the sound of that you don't have a license to even drive one. A car license will not be sufficient.

I have my international drivers license.....bro if you know Thailand, I can get my soi dog a  license kidding me?  I ve seen 9 year olds driing around.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, mavrik said:

I have my international drivers license

For a motor bike? as I said if you have an accident you will not be covered by any insurance if you don't, and if you kill someone you'll be up for millions+ their hospital bills. what the Thais do has nothing to do with YOU. You'll just be another go-fund me merchant.

16 hours ago, mavrik said:

i actually think that its easier to drive during rush hour.  I will just be following others.  Im not going to be popping wheelies nor will I be the first off the line Im not black. But I will be the tallest andthe  best looking person for sure.

i admire your modesty ser.

Odd that Thais hate you.

2 hours ago, JayClay said:
On 11/1/2023 at 6:54 AM, Moonlover said:

Weaving through traffic? Tut tut! Back to my earlier comment. 

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

I used the wrong terminology. My bad. @papa al knew what I meant... Filtering.

Filtering is fine. Weaving through moving traffic is a dangerous practice and I'm glad to read that you don't do it. 

I agree, the Click is a lighter and more maneuverable than the Aerox and I really appreciated its talents when I lived in Udon Thani, but now I live rurally and well away from busy city traffic, so it's the Aerox for me.

It's interesting to note that I mainly ride the Aerox, but when I have occasion to use the Click, (usually when I have need of the floor space) at first I find it quite wobbly and unstable to ride. It takes 2 or 3 kms to adjust to the different dynamics of the Click. 

I guess we acquire 'muscle memory' when we ride a motorcycle and switching to another bike confuses the mind/body coordination for a while.

Safe riding, take care and have fun. 😃

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Filtering is fine. Weaving through moving traffic is a dangerous practice and I'm glad to read that you don't do it. 

I agree, the Click is a lighter and more maneuverable than the Aerox and I really appreciated its talents when I lived in Udon Thani, but now I live rurally and well away from busy city traffic, so it's the Aerox for me.

I absolutely agree. If I didn't live in a city then the Aerox or Click 160 would be an ideal choice.

The OP, however, lives in Bangkok. I've ridden an Aerox through central bkk and there wasn't a single journey of significant length where the extra girth of the frame didn't cause some minor or major inconvenience. I put up the inconvenience it as I liked to take it for a long trip on the odd weekend. But if it was exclusively for city riding, or the longer trips were few and far between, I'd choose a smaller frame all the time.*

*well, to a point. 125 is a bare minimum in this country.

22 hours ago, mavrik said:

I have my international drivers license.....bro if you know Thailand, I can get my soi dog a  license kidding me?  I ve seen 9 year olds driing around.

There's no such thing as an International Drivers License. You either have motorcycle license or you don't. You started off on this thread by saying:

On 10/26/2023 at 3:50 PM, mavrik said:

if I could get your advice on below?  I've never owned a motorcycle in my life

Now you're talking as if you know it all. Time waster in my opinion. One that's joining my 'ignore user' list, so don't bother wasting your time in replying.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the OP has never owned a bike, does he/she even have a licence?

THe Thai test is actually reasonably good these days but the problem of any test/training is it only prepares you to start motorcycling.

You then need to build up the right kind of experience - as opposed to bad habits - and this comes with time.

So Although a small m/cin BKK is useful, I can't see how the OP expects to go from never having ridden a bike to mastering BKK traffic in a matter of weeks.

Maybe begin by learning to ride outside BKK? ...or in a quiet suburb?

Between 73 and 80% of all peopoe KILLEd on Thai roads are riders (including passengers) of 2-wheeled vehicles - this is around 10 times more likely to happen than in a private 4-wheeled vehicle. That's just the deaths it doesn't include minor , serious or life-changing injuries.

• 2 months later...

Wow this thread just keeps going and going... and I'll add my 5 cents worth. 

Riding bikes is fun.  I still enjoy them although lately I've moved from big cc bikes to mid range wheels. 

Having just returned from NZ (Went back there for 5 years) I did a few bike courses which ironed out a few bad habits I had. 

I sold my KTM 690 SMCR,  which was a real fun bike but damn uncomfortable to be honest.  Lots of power and oh so nimble. 

Next to go was my Yamaha tmax 500.  I think they call them a maxi scooter nowadays. Very comfortable although quite heavy. It handled well and had enough get up and go when needed. 

I however retained the BMW C600 sport, which again is a maxi scooter.  It's actually a 650 twin.  Comfortable as heck and handles like a super bike.  It's a bike I'd love to have here actually. 

So what's all this to do with the original post?  Well if your keen on getting a bike I suggest that you rent one to start.  Then you will feel what's right for you.  

Not all bikes are the same.  Go and get some lessons too,  they will help to keep you safer.  Buy the best helmet you can afford.... and wear it! 

When you ride, you need to concentrate on what your doing and your surroundings more so than when you're driving a car.  Use your mirrors even when stationary. 

I very nearly got taken out by a pickup in Chiang Mai about 7 years ago.  I stopped at red light but he had other ideas.  If I hadn't been checking my mirrors he would have driven over me.  

I was on a Honda CRF250 and heard him coming as well. Had to put the bike into gear and run the light.  Luckily no other vehicle was in the intersection.  Always try and plan an escape route. 

I agree with what many have said about ABS.... get a bike that has it.  Its a life saver.

In NZ you can no longer register a bike without ABS (Apart from vintage bikes).  Studies have shown it saves lives. 

Now with all that in mind.... go and enjoy! 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 4:12 PM, KhunLA said:

Been riding motorcycles for over 40 yrs, all sizes, and I would not drive one in Bangkok...nuff said.

Buy a car or learn the bus routes.

No car either esp. in BKK