Colonoscopy Tests Costs In Thailand

Mitkof Island

I had it done about 8 years ago at Bangkok Hospital in Korat, cost just over 10,000 baht. No medication only a sedative, awake all the time, no pain whatsoever and watched it on a big tv screen with the doctor explaining to me the infected areas of my colon. No waiting around only to empty my bowels after having to drink a litre of liquid they gave me, never saw another patient and was in and out the hospital in less than 4 hours.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 6:30 AM, Mike Lister said:

Perhaps this a regional difference or perhaps it varies by hospital size, I'm unsure. In Chiang Mai, where I live, I did explore having a 10 year colonoscopy and endoscopy at a government hospital. My local Amphur  hospital (quite large and fairly new) said I would need to go to the District hospital where my (Thai) wife and I discussed things with the gastroenterology department who said the things I posted above. I understand that the Amphur hospital doesn't have a the facilities, which is why I was referred up the chain. This is also why I was surprised when the earlier poster said he was able to get one on request, from the Koh Samui government hospital.

It depends on whether the hospital has both the necessary equipment and doctors trained in the procedure.

Even my 800+ bed regional hospital does not, and has to refer to a university hospital in a neighboring province.

But it will vary.

The poster who said he got on at Koh Samui told the doctor he has unexplained weight loss i.e. it was not done as routine screening but for specific symptoms. And evidentally (and surprisingly) the hospital had the equipment. Most Thai government hospitals in the provinces will nto understand, let alone respond to,  a request for a colonoscopy for routine screening purposes but again, this can vary.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Will B Good said:

It came as a serious shock.....I assumed you had one and you were done and finished.....555

Never had an enema for colonoscopy or any other procedure, only the ghastly chemicals to turn your guts inside out.

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2023 at 10:44 PM, KhunLA said:

And if just unlucky enough, and you don't die, well, who doesn't want to sh!t in a bag the rest of their life.

I know of at least one friend in Thailand whose doctor found colon cancer in a scope. She proceeded to surgery at same Bangkok hospital. I think around 30 cm of colon were removed, but it didn't result in a bag (I think that is for rectal cancer outcomes - but could be wrong).

36 minutes ago, arick said:

Where is the camera pill that you just swallow??? 

Bangkok Hospital and Suan Dok have it. But you have to wear a camera backpack for eight hours whilst the pill is on its journey, plus, you need to be x-rayed 90 minutes after you swallow the pill to make sure it has left the stomach and entered the small bowel. Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it bounces around and has to be helped on its way with an endoscope. Finally, you need to be x-rayed some hours after its all over to make sure the camera has exited as planned.

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2023 at 2:33 PM, Mr Derek said:

We argued about this for five minutes but they wouldn't have it.

Maybe you should accept what the dr says in the future. No doubt you were highly anxious bc of your argument and increased pain reaction?

When you go to the dentist do you also tell them what to do?

On 11/1/2023 at 6:30 AM, Mike Lister said:

Perhaps this a regional difference or perhaps it varies by hospital size, I'm unsure. In Chiang Mai, where I live, I did explore having a 10 year colonoscopy and endoscopy at a government hospital. My local Amphur  hospital (quite large and fairly new) said I would need to go to the District hospital where my (Thai) wife and I discussed things with the gastroenterology department who said the things I posted above. I understand that the Amphur hospital doesn't have a the facilities, which is why I was referred up the chain. This is also why I was surprised when the earlier poster said he was able to get one on request, from the Koh Samui government hospital.

It does vary by hospital (level and location).  

Most government hospitals not affiliated with a university do not have the capacity to do endoscopy e.g. even the >800 bed Regional Hospital near me does not. 

And even the hospitals with the capacity usually will not do it for routine screening. The situation reported in Samui is most unusual.

A major exception in Bangkok is Chulabhorn Hospital cancer center which does do endoscopies for cancer screening and is comparatively easy to deal with (though have to go in person to book).

18 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Hi, Under what circumstances do patients opt to have the colonoscopy and an Endoscopy  at the same time? I read some comments above where some guys had both done. 

thanks

I have done both of them many years ago at the same time. You need anaesthetic only once, I believe that's the main reason. It is way cheaper in the west with only one hospital admission.

20 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Hi, Under what circumstances do patients opt to have the colonoscopy and an Endoscopy  at the same time? I read some comments above where some guys had both done. 

thanks

A colonoscopy is a type  endoscopy.

Do you mean a colonoscopy and gastroscopy at the same time?   The reason for having both done at same tiem would be a need for both. While colonoscopy is often done just for routine screening, gastroscopy is not and would be indicated  only if there were specific issues e.g. pain in gastric or epigastric area, reflux etc.

• 1 month later...

The Red Cross Queen Vadhana Memorial hospital in Sriracha has to be the most beautiful hospital in Thailand. https://maps.app.goo.gl/a39SWip4wvgNKTYc9

They offer selected services in the evenings at higher fees.

I was there on  Feb 9. Registration was 50B, 4pm doctor consultation plus NIFLEC 1350B.

EGD ( EsophagoGastroDuodenoscopy) plus colonoscopy on Feb 14 was 20392B, of which 350B was for removing one benign polyp.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 053621.png

Edited by Thailand J
  • Thanks 1