High electric bill

for the last 2 months, the electric bills seem to come down much to normal price, not like the 3rd previous when it went crazy high,

I live in a house with full use of everything, have 3 A/C, 2 are running 24/7, washer, dryer, etc., and my bill came out around 5k,

your 7k bill seems to be on the high side, is your A/C super old which can cause a high electric bill too.

from what you said with that price maybe somebody is siphoning your electricity, it shouldn't be that high 

Edited by vinci

7 minutes ago, Nemises said:

You have 2(!) air conditioners running all night every night and also during the day sometimes. Your bill sounds correct especially if using older AC units. Time to pay the piper. 

I doubt they are old AC units as the condo is only a few years old. 

We paid the piper but still damn confused ! 

16 minutes ago, Nemises said:

You have 2(!) air conditioners running all night every night and also during the day sometimes. Your bill sounds correct especially if using older AC units. Time to pay the piper. 

I missed that 2ACs running almost 24/7 (damn speed reading, today, 2X 🙄)

Yea, that 7k is looking about right now.  Especially in needing to run, means not very good, or major sun exposure and mediocre construction, if bldg that hot.

Edited by KhunLA

13 minutes ago, rwill said:

First thing you should have done is check the meter reading with what the bill shows.  It's a shame they keep your meter locked up.

If they let you in , see if you can attach some magnets nearby to that spinning disc inside the electricity meter. It will slow it down , thus a cheaper bill. Totally illegal, but who follows laws these days. Unfortunately my condo swapped over to new smart meters. So I'm planning on somehow throwing a wire out my balcony window . I'm sure to catch onto some messy street hanging power wire somewhere.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Didn't I read somewhere that the Thai authorities were going to stop that?  I rented in Bangkok many years ago but when I saw the landlord's charges for water and electricity (almost double), I almost backed out of the deal. Fortunately the landlord really wanted to let the property and backed down - allowing me to pay the actual cost.

I would guess that a lot of newcomers to Thailand aren't aware of this situation until after they've signed a lease agreement. Leases usually specify what you will be charged but don't show how much above the actual cost that is.

laws or regulations were changed, but there are criteria, i think like having more than 5 units in a bldg or something like that, plus, TIT,many rules and regs are routinely ignored.  and often the utility rates, for water and electric are something, when renting a condo/apt, are assumed the cost is the real cost.  few check until after signing the lease.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Condos usually give you the actual bill so you only pay for what you use. 

Apartment buildings are the ones that don't show the real bill and charge an extra 'service charge' .  There are limits to how much extra they can charge however.

And its the MEA in Bangkok.  The PEA is for people living outside of the Metropolitan area.

PEA in Chiang Mai--and other places, I don't know--but, here--condos are also often charging double--the condo i lived in years ago in Pattatya, not Chiang Mai--didn't deliver the direct bill from the govt electrical provider, but a slip with your electric bill on created by the condo management, and, guess what--cost was near double.

Get the PEA app.  You can quickly review a year worth of activity, pay your bill and submit outages online.among many other useful tools. Very helpful and should immediately show the increase disparity as a starting point.  If your habits have not changed something shady is going on.  

Could contain:

• Thumbs Up 1