Jail's in Asia ,whose been jailed?

georgegeorgia

Just reading some interesting facts today

It seems Australians now rank higher as prisoners  in Philippines jail's than Thai jail's 

But my question to you is have you ever been jailed in any Asian countries or visited anyone

I went to Pattaya jail to visit a Thai guy before covid ,I had to shout through what looked like a large birdcage with everyone standing next to him 

I immediately asked to see the manager of the jail,this was like 2019 and I saw a farang in prisoner clothes mowing the lawn outside the jail

Just reading a very very sad story today ,a Australian guy Troy Birthisel has been jailed for life in the Philippines today after only going there for a week holiday , only went for a week and he got life , not even drug related 

https://fundrazr.com/71BmI8?ref=ab_AIS3znnFEVGAIS3znnFEVG

Sad and corrupt the Philippines it seems,it's now off my list 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

he claims he needs money to purchase food and "water". Seriously, who needs money for water?

In reality, no one needs any money for food nor water in prison. They do not let their prisoners die. Especially not foreign prisoners, as that would make too bad international press. However, he might want to have a better status than regular prisoners, and then it is up to you to deem if he deserves that and if you wish to contribute.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Jail's in Asia ,whose been jailed?"

I'm very familiar with someone who's been jailed here.   I was also a prison visitor for a number of years.

I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested to hear of your experiences, both as a detainee (I seem to recall that you have personal experience of being imprisoned here in Thailand) and/or a prison visitor.

Perhaps you could post in this topic, or start a new topic.

Or, if already posted, link to some previous topic(s).

• Thumbs Up 1

No. Closest I got was a potential assault charge, giving a neighborhood kid a kick up the bum. The kid's father wanted me charged.

After I described what the kid was doing to warrant the kick, the policeman interrogating me declined to proceed, just told me not to do it again.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested to hear of your experiences, both as a detainee (I seem to recall that you have personal experience of being imprisoned here in Thailand) and/or a prison visitor.

Perhaps you could post in this topic, or start a new topic.

Or, if already posted, link to some previous topic(s).

It's been touched on many times already in my comments and I'm not about to give much more detail for fear of losing my anonymity here.  I may answer specific questions, even though so many members here have sneered and doubted the veracity and accuracy of my comments...as AN posters are wont to do.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

It's been touched on many times already in my comments and I'm not about to give much more detail for fear of losing my anonymity here.  I may answer specific questions, even though so many members here have sneered and doubted the veracity and accuracy of my comments...as AN posters are wont to do.

Okay, I respect your reasoning. 

• Thanks 1

I went to Klong Prem prison a few times to visit foreigners banged up and give them a few bits and bobs to help. Toiletries, cigarettes  and books etc. The prison staff were helpful and I spoke to a few Brits and Americans. Most in on drug charges except a young Brit caught with stolen credit cards. Interesting  experience and convinced me not to break Thai laws.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to visit my ex-wife in prison, 

first in Udon Thani, 6000 women in a prison built for 2000, It was hot and nasty in the visiting area, she said it was much much worse inside.

She said they take dead bodies out every morning.

Also visited in Sawang Daen Din, where after sentencing she spent the rest of her time, rural prison, prisoners are more local so she knew people inside

Stopped visiting after our divorce, and she was released last year after 10 years in the monkey house.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I had a friend in Immigration Detention Centre (IDC) Bangkok. The standard cell has about 400-500 men standing shoulder to shoulder in a room about the size of baseball court. There is a gang of Myanmar enforcers in the cell. Must pay money to use your own cell phone to the guards. A h*ll hole for sure.

Edited by Banana7

There are many versions of Troy's imprisonment. Troy has a family and is a mining executive. Here is another story about him:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/troy-birthisel-australian-languishing-for-years-inside-filipino-prison-swears-he-is-innocent-man/e42cac77-e78e-4284-accf-c019267fa581

Knowing Filippinos this is what probably happened:

Mr Birthisel said one of the officers that arrested him had tried to extort money from him at the airport and that six of the females traveling with him had been intimidated and "coerced" into making damning allegations against him.

He said the six other women were never arrested and had given sworn affidavits that support his innocence.

The charges have been changed to illegal recruitment involving sabotage.

Edited by Banana7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I spent a long day in the holding cells under the Pattaya Courthouse.  I only went there to do some paperwork, but they decided to arrest me. Took my shoes and belt off me, but gave me a chair to sit on.  No food or water allowed for 8 hours.

Seems I upset someone important 🙂

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kwonitoy said:

first in Udon Thani, 6000 women in a prison built for 2000, It was hot and nasty in the visiting area, she said it was much much worse inside.

Also visited in Sawang Daen Din, where after sentencing she spent the rest of her time, rural prison, prisoners are more local so she knew people inside

Stopped visiting after our divorce, and she was released last year after 10 years in the monkey house.

6000 women? Not to hijack thread or make light of it, but bet there was some absolute stunners in there. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

Yeah I suspected as much. His only visited 1 week excuse is obviously bs. Sad to see people still paying money to a gofund me account for him without checking up on the story 

That was a Fiippino news outlet. There many versions of the matter. Google his name and find an Australian source like:

www.couriermail.com.au or www.9news.com.au These sources are more believable.

1 hour ago, kwonitoy said:

Omg 10 years !

I'm sorry to hear that , it obviously broke your marriage.

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

Yeah I suspected as much. His only visited 1 week excuse is obviously bs. Sad to see people still paying money to a gofund me account for him without checking up on the story 

Hardly needed a life sentence though !

There are thousands of Filipino housekeeping staff in Australia