New challenges facing Thai workers evacuated from Israel

snoop1130

แรงงงานไทย-หนี้-เว็บ.png

Hundreds of Thai workers have made it back home safely from Israel and more than 8,000 more have registered for evacuation. Being back home for many of them is, however, only the beginning of a set of new challenges.

In interviews with Thai PBS World, many of those evacuated said they are relieved to be back in their home country. They also made it clear that, even when the situation calms down, they have no desire to go back to work in Israel.

“I’m not going back anymore. I mean, I would consider it, but I’m afraid the conflict might escalate again. I won’t survive if I go there again. The attacks were very close to where I was,” according to one Thai evacuee.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Love It 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Being back home for many of them is, however, only the beginning of a set of new challenges.

The headline also mentions "new challenges".

So what are these new challenges?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, loong said:

It's all in the linked article ...

The biggest challenge for many is now how to repay their debts, considering that their good wages in Israel were their only source of income when and until the war broke out.

“We borrowed money either from the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives or people in our community. For me, the debts are still outstanding, totaling around 800,000 baht. Coming back this time, I am not feeling relieved at all, as there are still a lot of money to repay,” he added.

Another Thai evacuated from Israel explained to Thai PBS World that choosing between facing the debts and becoming a casualty in Israel, he would rather face debts in exchange for being alive.

“I’m afraid of both war and debt. Nevertheless, I believe that, if we survive the war, we will still have the opportunity to earn money and pay off our debts. I borrowed from a lender, so I am committed to repaying him,” another Thai working in Israel said in the interview.

Debts aside, some of the Thai evacuees are concerned over the compensation promised to them by the overseas employment administration office.

“They (Ministry of Labour staff) told us at the evacuation centre that there would be 15,000 baht waiting for us when we arrived in Thailand but, when we made it back here, we were told that to get the money we will have to do the paperwork ourselves,” he said.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The Government is now offering the retunes a low Interest Loan of up to 150 K over 20 Years to aid there Debt burdens

But how does that resolve their problems 

At 6% a year, the loan works out to a monthly payment of 1k a month 

Seems reasonable until you add in everything else that they have to pay to live.

Also what happens when the ear is over and these same Thais decide that the money is too good to pass up?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

But how does that resolve their problems 

At 6% a year, the loan works out to a monthly payment of 1k a month 

Seems reasonable until you add in everything else that they have to pay to live.

Also what happens when the ear is over and these same Thais decide that the money is too good to pass up?

The interest rate is 3%

The Govt is fronting 2% of thar so they pay 1 %

9 hours ago, loong said:

NOT having a job in Thailand to pay off their debts.

NOT being able to provide for their family which is why they went in the first place.

I did read in the other EL newspaper that the government is trying to arrange loans from the GSB or the BAAC for some of them to repay their debts. All that will achieve is swapping one debt for another.

The only good thing that has come from it, is that they are safe and as well as can be expected.

quote from the OP.

"

In interviews with Thai PBS World, many of those evacuated said they are relieved to be back in their home country. They also made it clear that, even when the situation calms down, they have no desire to go back to work in Israel.

“I’m not going back anymore. I mean, I would consider it, but I’m afraid the conflict might escalate again. I won’t survive if I go there again. The attacks were very close to where I was,” according to one Thai evacuee.

I don't blame them in the slightest. They were caught up in something that was not of their doing and unable to defend themselves or do anything about it.

THOSE are their new challenges.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The interest rate is 3%

And with no job and a family to support, they cannot even repay that amount.

They left Thailand to get a good job and more money than they could earn in Thailand.

Just now, billd766 said:

And with no job and a family to support, they cannot even repay that amount.

They left Thailand to get a good job and more money than they could earn in Thailand.

I think things are probably not as dire for all. Depends on how long they were in Israel and how the money sent home was managed.

Maybe harsher on newer arrivals, and those with an financially irresponsible wife/family.

21 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The interest rate is 3%

OK but what re they going to use it for.  Most of them will not use it to pay debts for going to Israel I am willing to bet unless the government forces them