Women’s rights advocates exchange views on sexual harassment

snoop1130

newsexual.jpg

Sexual harassment occurs in educational institutions and private and public sector work places. It is often treated as “normal” and an “insignificant” problem, according to the opinions shared by women’s and children’s rights advocates at a recent forum on “Sexual Harassment, Politicians and Power.”

Thararat Panya, a veteran campaigner for gender equality, said that it is a well-known fact that sexual harassment has been widespread in Thai society for a long time, the problem has not been taken seriously by the authorities and, in most cases, has been settled through compromise, with most victims not being treated fairly.

As such, most victims are reluctant to disclose what happened or do not tell the police the whole truth about how they were sexually harassed, resulting in their cases being weak and their tormentors escaping unpunished, she claimed.

Caption: Sexual Harassment, Politicians and Power Forum

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-11-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thararat Panya, a veteran campaigner for gender equality, said that it is a well-known fact that sexual harassment has been widespread in Thai society for a long time, the problem has not been taken seriously by the authorities and, in most cases, has been settled through compromise, with most victims not being treated fairly

So if I pass a female on the street who say's "Hello handsome man" can I press charges for compensation..?

You want equality lets have it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

So if I pass a female on the street who say's "Hello handsome man" can I press charges for compensation..?

You want equality lets have it.

They are always harassing me for drinks when I go out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Usual horse doo-doo from the west creeping in here. I grew up on a council estate and knew several kids who were badly abused by their parents. Admirably they dealt with it and didn't grow up screwed in the head like today. Some girls got a thrill out of being wolf whistled. There is a big difference between violence toward women, and passing an unwanted compliment. Violence should be punished and bullies and repeat offenders should be punished extra hard, but asking a girl out on a date who doesn't want to go? Wolf whistling? My mother had very large boobs and was constantly walk whistled and ogled....it made her feel uncomfortable because she was a bit prudish, but her large breasts gave her severe cack pain. She had breast reduction surgery which solved the back and whistling problems completely, but she then complained that she felt unattractive and ignored by men because she go no attention any more (absolutely true)

• Sad 1

I have a dear friend, who told me a great story. He said his mom was in Times Square during the celebrations after WWII ended. The soldiers were returning home, to a heroes welcome, which they deserved. She told her son that she was standing around, greeting the soldiers as they paraded by. She said she was kissed, hugged, and fondled by hundreds of soldiers. She said she probably had 800 guys put their tongues in her mouth that day. She told her son it was the best day of her life, and possibly the highlight of her life. Nearly all of the women in the crowd were kissing hundreds of complete strangers. Nobody thought it was the slightest bit inappropriate. How things have changed! Due to this whole movement, relationships, and friendships between men and women have been changed. I know very few guys in the US who are getting any action since this movement started. They are finding it hard to even date a gal, in a normal manner, as things have gone dangerously out of control.

Here, I do not see that happening. The cultural differences allow the women here to be a greater version of themselves. They are not afraid to manifest the dignity within femininity. I think most Thai women have looked at Me Too, and have thoroughly rejected it, as they realize that their power comes from their femininity unlike women in the West, and they embrace their femininity and use it to great effect. 

I realize if you are a Western woman, it is not easy reading this stuff. And certainly this does not apply to everyone, either here or there. Some in the West are just exceptional, and capable to rising against the tide. But, it does apply to most, from my point of view.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1