How Long Has Thailand Been Your Home?

Sir Burr

How long has Thailand been your home?  

452 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First visited 16 years ago, travelled in and out of Asia since then with work and visisting University friends. Now, been living here since September 27th 2005, so still quite new. For all it's faults, it's still a great place to live.

First visited 16 years ago, travelled in and out of Asia since then with work and visisting University friends. Now, been living here since September 27th 2005, so still quite new. For all it's faults, it's still a great place to live.

almost 14 years ,came for 1 month never left and 99.9% sure never will ,and been with my wife from day one :o

almost 14 years ,came for 1 month never left and 99.9% sure never will ,and been with my wife from day one :o

Why the looking over your shoulder icon lazee? Somebody watching? :D

Edited by soundman

1980-1984

Summer 1990

1992-1993

1995-2000

2002-Present

That German lady in Kanchanaburi who runs a riding school has us all beat. She arrived here as a little girl in the early 1920s. She's lived here longer than most Thais!

Edited by qualtrough

Been here since 1969 straight through. Never left Thailand until 3 years ago when I went to the Philippines with the Thai Lawn Bowls team. Sure caused quite a stir at immigration at the airport! Was supposed to fly business class for the first time in my life and was looking forward to using the Thai Airways lounge. That didn't happen since I had to be greeted by the immigration general on duty that day and also give an interview to the BKK Post for having stayed that long without going out. They did hold the plane a few minutes until I was aboard and was driven to the gate by the immigration big shot and given red carpet treatment, but, I sure would liked to have seen what it was like inside the business lounge. :o

Been here since 1969 straight through. Never left Thailand until 3 years ago when I went to the Philippines with the Thai Lawn Bowls team. Sure caused quite a stir at immigration at the airport! Was supposed to fly business class for the first time in my life and was looking forward to using the Thai Airways lounge. That didn't happen since I had to be greeted by the immigration general on duty that day and also give an interview to the BKK Post for having stayed that long without going out. They did hold the plane a few minutes until I was aboard and was driven to the gate by the immigration big shot and given red carpet treatment, but, I sure would liked to have seen what it was like inside the business lounge. :o

fresh coffee instead of instant ,and enough papers for everyone :D

I first came in 1964 (overland from the UK) and returned here for good in 1966.

I've seen no reason to leave for any lengthy period since. Still don't.

Been a few changes since I first got here (cue violins).

:o Nice one, Burr Bear.

Came and stayed in the spring of 1995. A few scursions back home and to work in Singapore. Left in 2006 to become a non-alien in a country where I feel more like an alien than ever before. Just had a lychee and it tastes like bitter kaka. :D

Edited by Jet Gorgon

I first came to Thailand in 1964, compliments of the USAF, and was fascinated by the country. Came back for the first time in 1983, and have been in and out, many times since. Usually for two or three months at a time.

Moved here full time five years ago and am still fascinated by the place. :o

• 7 months later...
I have lived in Phuket for 22 years now, Just interested in how long other BMs have been here.

Excuse my ignorance but I have problems with these initialised references, not being one of the in-crowd, without the meaning being stated beforehand. What the f***k is a 'BM"? Black Man? Boy Molestor? Brainwashed Monkey? Bullshitting Moron?...

This kind of post shouldn't really be becessary, but this is a geniuine enquiry.

Can anyone point me towards a dictionary for all the occurences of similarly vague references in these forums? Or do I need to be an 'advanced member' :o to qualify?

Nice thread but.. Wasnt the question supposed to be "How long has Thailand been your home ?" It wasnt "how many times have u been", "when was your 1st visit ", or "when do u plan for it to be your home" .... Maybe someone could define the meaning of "living" ?..

Thailand isn't my home.

I have lived here for almost a decade though.

One wonders: why?

They'd steal the sugar out of your tea.
Far more confidence in the UK to deal with its social and economic problems than this tinpot nation.
Thailand is the most dangerous destination for Britons by a significant margin.

Had a bad day? Bad decade? :o