NON IMM O - Retirement

I really need to ask you guys who knows about this.... I have been told that if I come to Thailand holding a non immigrant O 90 days based on retirement, I can not extend this 1 month in Thailand. I can only extend 1 month if it is being based on marriage to a thai national..

is this really true?? I thought same rules would apply for both types of Non Imm O ???

thanks for any input...

A non O based on marriage or retirement cannot be extended by ONE month.

In fact visas cannot be extended.

You can obtain a 12 month extension to your permission of stay.

The only other alternative re extension is 60 day extension to visit wife 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

A non O based on marriage cannot be extended by ONE month.

In fact visas cannot be extended.

You can obtain a 12 month extension to your permission of stay.

The only other alternative re extension is 60 day extension to visit wife 

Tourist-VISA 60 days can be extended by 1 month...

Edited by glegolo18
  • Haha 1

When entering Thailand on a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (be it for reason of Retirement or for reason of Marriage to a Thai national) there is no option to extend it only for 1 month.  You can however apply for the 1-year extension of such Visa at your local Imm Ofice. 

When you entered Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa, you have the option to first apply for a 30-day extension of stay before applying at your local Imm Office for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (for reason of Retirement or for reason of Marriage to a Thai national).

You also have the option when being married to a Thai national, to apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife, and this can be done before or after you applied for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

When entering Thailand on a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (be it for reason of Retirement or for reason of Marriage to a Thai national) there is no option to extend it only for 1 month. 

When you entered Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa, you have the option to first apply for a 30-day extension of stay before applying at your local Imm Office for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (for reason of Retirement or for reason of Marriage to a Thai national).

You also have the option when being married to a Thai national, to apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife, and this can be done before or after you applied for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.

Thnks for a great answer...  and also everybody else... appreciate your help..

3 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

Tourist-VIUSA 60 days can be extended by 1 month...

No.

A SETV would give you a temporary permission of stay. 60 day stamp.

The VISA is then USED (done).

Subsequently you can obtain a 30 day extension to that permission of stay.

The visa is NOT extended. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Although the OP only wants to extend his stay for another 30 days, that is not possible. As mentioned, the OP can extend his permission to stay for one year from the end of the 90 day permission to stay granted when he entered using the Non-Immigrant "O" Visa.

To receive the one year extension, he will need to pay the 1,900 baht fee and show he meets the financial requirement for extending his stay based on retirement, e.g. 800k baht in Thai bank.

Although one year may be longer than the OP currently needs, if his plans are to return within the one year extension period, he can get a Re-Entry Permit before he departs which will allow him to return without the need to get a new Visa (or enter Visa Exempt).

Edited by soisanuk
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

When entering Thailand on a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (be it for reason of Retirement or for reason of Marriage to a Thai national) there is no option to extend it only for 1 month.  You can however apply for the 1-year extension of such Visa at your local Imm Ofice. 

Glad to see you back in the fray!

Good advice , as usual.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

I must confess I’m confused because on the Thaivisa.go.th website, which facilitates the online application process, there is no mention of a 90 day non imm O visa for retired people, only visiting family & friends plus a number of other categories (medical, voluntary work etc.). 
Pre-covid I had always travelled on a non imm O visa but that doesn’t appear to be an option either by omission (probable, Thai websites aren’t the most user friendly

)or has policy changed?

41 minutes ago, retayl said:

I must confess I’m confused because on the Thaivisa.go.th website, which facilitates the online application process, there is no mention of a 90 day non imm O visa for retired people, only visiting family & friends plus a number of other categories (medical, voluntary work etc.). 
Pre-covid I had always travelled on a non imm O visa but that doesn’t appear to be an option either by omission (probable, Thai websites aren’t the most user friendly

)or has policy changed?

The site is https://www.thaievisa.go.th/ and the retirement option should be there.

Here's a screenshot for a UK passport:

Could contain:

2 hours ago, retayl said:

But as I posted it is not shown as one of the options.

As @Lemsta69 implied, it is very possible that the available options depend on your nationality, and the embassy/consulate that will process your application. Many years ago, the UK was a special case when it came to those in receipt of a UK state pension. I think that it still is For a long time, some embassies/consulates allowed you to apply for a Non O (retirement) while others only had the Non O-A (long stay) visa as an option.