Poppy

eezergood

7 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

Another mindless attack by yobs or others on a Edinburgh war memorial, disturbing times we are living through.🥴

_127630889_mediaitem127628884.jpg.webp

Assh_les doing this kinda stuff are quite common now in 2023..........:coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

Er.. OK

I was never in the forces, but I recognise the freedoms that many individuals died for.  My father spent 12 years in the army in Africa (albeit not in a frontline role).  Why would you not wear a poppy outside if you have one?

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

Confusion junction. I was referring to your T-shirt.
I will be wearing a poppy on Saturday at Kanchanaburi.

Ah sorry, my mistake.  I certainly would not wear that t-shirt in Myanmar, because I would be deported rather quickly!  I am living in Laos now because the military junta decided to exclude me anyway from that country.  I have no problems to wear this t-shirt in public in Laos.

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Ah sorry, my mistake.  I certainly would not wear that t-shirt in Myanmar, because I would be deported rather quickly!  I am living in Laos now because the military junta decided to exclude me anyway from that country.  I have no problems to wear this t-shirt in public in Laos.

No probs. Carry on.

On 11/7/2023 at 11:44 AM, goldenbrwn1 said:

I’m in Bristol UK , already had some guy In Palestinian garb sat on the cenotaph here playing Islamic prayer on a loud speaker . Considering how many deluded students doing degrees in useless subjects live centrally ,I’m pretty sure it’s a matter of time before this one is vandalised .  

The ironic part is that those young men & women gave their lives so that this F@@K W!T can do as such! 

15 hours ago, eezergood said:
On 11/7/2023 at 11:44 AM, goldenbrwn1 said:

I’m in Bristol UK , already had some guy In Palestinian garb sat on the cenotaph here playing Islamic prayer on a loud speaker . Considering how many deluded students doing degrees in useless subjects live centrally ,I’m pretty sure it’s a matter of time before this one is vandalised .  

The ironic part is that those young men & women gave their lives so that this F@@K W!T can do as such! 

What's the chances of it being an Islamic peace prayer?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 9:25 AM, Pouatchee said:

i think it is more of a commonwealth thing... if memory serves me right the americans [i am canadian] dont really follow this tradition. 

"Can I wear a poppy in the US?

In the United States, Americans don't typically wear poppies on November 11 (Veterans Day), which honors all living veterans. Instead, they wear the symbolic red flower on Memorial Day—the last Monday in May—to commemorate the sacrifice of so many men and women who have given their lives fighting for their country."

It is also not a tradition in Germany...

4 hours ago, eezergood said:

in other news, the rain makes things wet..........

I merely referred to the fact, that not everybody globally -- or even in this thread -- knows what a 'poppy' is, which was countered, that this is a common custom to honor dead soldiers. While in fact this seems to be a custom quite limited to the UK and the (white?) remnants of their empire.

Why of all flowers a poppy was chosen is quite unclear to me; a reference to the Opium wars of Britain against China, maybe?

So next time, prefacing some exotic custom with an explanation, would be a lot more helpful. People would like to understand.

Of course, I think it important to commemorate the horrors of war -- not just the soldiers, but also with especially much thought given to the civilian victims of imperialist politics.

On 11/28/2023 at 3:39 PM, jts-khorat said:

I merely referred to the fact, that not everybody globally -- or even in this thread -- knows what a 'poppy' is, which was countered, that this is a common custom to honor dead soldiers. While in fact this seems to be a custom quite limited to the UK and the (white?) remnants of their empire.

Why of all flowers a poppy was chosen is quite unclear to me; a reference to the Opium wars of Britain against China, maybe?

So next time, prefacing some exotic custom with an explanation, would be a lot more helpful. People would like to understand.

Of course, I think it important to commemorate the horrors of war -- not just the soldiers, but also with especially much thought given to the civilian victims of imperialist politics.

Given that the second and third commentors gave the requisite answer, it was obviously NOT so exotic nor was any preface needed. The fact that the Germans do not mark this occasion, is hardly revelatory nor expected given the very well known outcome. 

The poppy is a visual reminder that we remember the fallen members of the armed forces on remembrance day.

Yet you seem to wish to make this about white imperialists - horrors have been committed for centuries, this is without dispute. The poppy (for me) is to say you are not forgotten and thank you, with the hopes that a few quid goes to the legion for these old lads and lasses. Put the soap box away!

• Agree 2