Is Solar Electricity only about Cheap Energy?

In Thailand many installed solar systems are there for the savings. And why not too.

Return on investment (ROI) is frequently referred to as the desired end result and, to that end, many anticipate a positive outcome.

Here in Thailand, that (ROI) is not a difficult target to hit. We get loads of wonderful sunshine which gives us all the energy we need and more.

Depending on the complexities of our system, whether we incorporate the local grid or become totally isolated from it ROI can be quicker or it can be slower.

In Europe however, things are not quite the same.

Researchers report that 53% of European freestanding homes could have supplied all their own energy needs in 2020 using only local rooftop solar radiation, and this technical feasibility could increase to 75% in 2050. The study shows that there is no economic advantage for individual households to be fully self-sufficient under current or future conditions, though in some cases the costs are on par with remaining on-grid. The researchers estimate that self-sufficiency will be economically feasible for 5% (two million) of Europe's 41 million freestanding single-family homes in 2050, if households are willing to pay up to 50% more than the cost of remaining fully grid dependent.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/11/231102135037.htm

I personally feel that this investigation is a bit lacking in terms of technical comparisons and component costs. 

One point raised regarding extra burden on less well off if only the rich go "solar" is, in my opinion only marginally valid.

I see no reference to the industrial consumption nor do I see reference to the consumption of grid power by commercial business.

Question is:

Is this a fair report or not?

• Like 1

It does also reduce CO2 emissions, although the manufacture of the panels has to be offset in calculating that.

As one of the first people in Australia to install panels on my house, I can say the cost savings with the feed-in tariff I had were substantial.

My quarterly power bill went from $300 to a couple of dollars, the capital cost was recovered in two and a half years.

Capital recovery now is probably not as good, due to power companies reducing the feed-in tariff.

It was a purely commercial decision, virtue signalling was not on my mind.

The next evolution, happening now, is powerwall batteries that can store solar energy, making a household completely independent of the grid.

That really has companies who gold-plated their assets very worried. They can only hike prices so far.

• Thumbs Up 1