Alteration tailor in Jomtien? (Simple tasks.)

henrik2000

Hello, do you recommend an alteration tailor in _Jomtien_ for a few fixing jobs? It's only about

1.       putting patches on threadbare parts of sports shorts (cotton only)

2.       fixing a slightly torn seam around a jeans zipper

3.       replacing the zipper on another jeans (ok, joke away)

Apart from job 3, one could almost give the task to one's cleaning lady or laundry lady. Still if you do recommend a tailor in Jomtien I'd like to know (good if near Police Box on the Beach).

Google Maps does show a few tailors in Jomtien, including Oslo Tailor, Tailor Shop Khun Ram, Next Fashion – but I guess they sell bespoke suits and shirts to tourists as is typical for Thai tourist ghettos (am not on the ground this week).

I do speak basic Thai and managed to negotiate tasks, prices and timings with Thai tailors before. I won't give them time-critical jobs.

Thanks!

• Haha 1

I don't know about Jomtien, but here on the Darkside just about every big soi has at least 1-2 ladies with sewing machines set-up to handle minor jobs just like the ones the OP mentioned.  Why not walk around and ask/see if you can find one.  IMO going to an actual tailor shop is going to cost more.

Soi 18 between Second and Third Road(Soi Arab) has a least one tailor(on the left hand side, coming from the Third Road end). By that I mean a local tailor. No fancy shopfront. In fact he interrupted his work to do a repair for me and refused to charge me anything. I of course insisted. So expect reasonable prices, as opposed to going into one of those shopfronts who might simply deliver to the same tailor in the first place. Support honest local business. 

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks for some good tips i didn't know about!

Thoengthaied, thanks, i might visit that lady on soi 7.

The others are a bit further away. While i would expect competitive quality and prices if there's a bunch of tailors behind tukcom, it is just a bit inconvenient if you have nothing else to do in the area and the fixing job is a simple one. Same maybe for soi 18 (soi Arab).

From my wonderings around Jomtien in recent years i don't remember a tailor. And yes, of course i want a whole-in-wall (or table-on-the-pavement) business, not a fancy shopfront.

I also had nice experiences with helpful tailors upcountry.

3 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

In Jomtien...there's a lady with sewing machine on soi 7 next to a pharmacy. This is about 3/4 way up soi 7 from Beach Road on lhs.

Thanks again for the detailed description. The "Knowing Pharmacy" is exactly where you say on Gmaps, so i just hope to actually meet her on my first foray. Anyway there's even other useful business nearby.

6 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

Hi all, thanks for some good tips i didn't know about!

Thoengthaied, thanks, i might visit that lady on soi 7.

The others are a bit further away. While i would expect competitive quality and prices if there's a bunch of tailors behind tukcom, it is just a bit inconvenient if you have nothing else to do in the area and the fixing job is a simple one. Same maybe for soi 18 (soi Arab).

From my wonderings around Jomtien in recent years i don't remember a tailor. And yes, of course i want a whole-in-wall (or table-on-the-pavement) business, not a fancy shopfront.

I also had nice experiences with helpful tailors upcountry.

It’s less tailors and more workshops for tailors back there. Though there are tailors there too. You’ll see couriers for some of the tailors taking clothes back and forth. 

• Like 1

Mona Fashion. Not in Jomtien but conveniently located at the crossing 2nd road Central Road. He made all kinds of items for me from full suit until special belt.

They are both Indian so if you want a favourable price mention the cost factor at the very beginning.