Thai hostages likely first to be released amid Gaza conflict

webfact

image.jpeg

Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister, Parnpree Bahiddha-Nukara, announced that Thai workers held captive by Hamas are likely to be among the first released.

This update came as the Israeli military amplified its assault on Hamas in the Gaza Strip, with the majority of Thai workers still in Israel now situated in safe zones.

Around 30,000 Thai workers were in Israel before the cross-border raids by Hamas on October 7. Since then, some 8,000 have been repatriated on 35 flights, Parnpree reported. However, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs disclosed on Monday that over 20,000 Thai workers have opted to remain in Israel despite the escalating conflict.

“We are waiting for good news [regarding the release of the Thai hostages].”

Parnpree further revealed that during his recent diplomatic visits to Qatar and Egypt, he received information suggesting that the Thai hostages would be among the first set free.

by Mitch Connor

Picture courtesy of ThaiPost

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Hopefully this happens sooner, rather than later, so those hostages don't have to be dug out from under the rubble before repatriation.

That 20,000 have decided to remain in a war zone says everything we need to know about the economic prospects for working class people here in Thailand. 

Edited by Bobthegimp
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Makes sense.....pretty sure Hamas know how little Thai lives mean to the authorities here....and how little leverage they offer.

How much leverage have the Israeli hostages provided?  

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always wondered what made Hamas hate the Thais so much that they bothered to kill 21 and kidnap another 14-30.  They were just farm laborers.

Were they jealous because the Thais took jobs that Palestinians used to work?

I suppose they eventually figured-out that Thai laborers don't have much clout in the eyes of international negotiators.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Piyabutr Saengkanokkul said:

Terrorists are so strange. I can totally understand why they hate and want to kill Israelis and Jews. But why in the world did they want to murder and kidnap Thai people? 

I think at 'ground level' you are not dealing with people with an ideology.....they just enjoy the power to murder, rape, torture and rob knowing there will be no comeback.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Piyabutr Saengkanokkul said:

Terrorists are so strange. I can totally understand why they hate and want to kill Israelis and Jews. But why in the world did they want to murder and kidnap Thai people? 

They probably believe that anyone working for a Jew is even worse than the Jew. That the worker has so debased themself that they are beneath contempt and deserve whatever happens.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Piyabutr Saengkanokkul said:

It's very simple...smite the neck of the kufr. If you are not Ummah then you are fair game, to be killed or enslaved in the name of <expletive deleted>.

5 hours ago, Piyabutr Saengkanokkul said:

I don't think they were targeting Thais in particular. When they went into Israel they were intent on killing or kidnapping anyone they came across. To them the nationality was immaterial. If they were in those farms and villages to them, in their wholly distorted world view, they were the enemy.