Lost in Translation: Your Funniest Misunderstandings with Thai Language

Chris Daley

20 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Misprounouced  ''I want to eat shellfish  a few times  and seen a look of either horror or a smile  on waitress's face ,, say Phom  Dongan Kin Hoi  correct tone and thats I want to eat shellfish like , mussels ,etc    say it with wrong inflection  on ''Hoi'' and it means I want to eat your pussy!!!!!!!!!!!    got me a couple of nice  girlfriends  ha ha

say it with wrong inflection  on ''Hoi'' and it means I want to eat your pussy!!!!!!!!!!!  

Close.But you said you just wanted to eat pussy, not her's. Her = khong kuhn.

Close enough to generate concern though since I'm sure it wasn't on the menu. 😁😅

Once  in a hotel i wanted to order some room service but there was 2 phone numbers, so i called the first one and said "i want to order" but they hung up on me.

So i called the other number and ordered some food.

Only a minute later there was a knock on the door and i thought well that was quick! When i opened the door there was someone there with 2 bottles of water and he said to me "you want two water?'

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2023 at 7:50 AM, animalmagic said:

I was in a taxi in Hong Kong with my Chinese girlfriend and a colleague with his Thai wife.  He explained to his wife where we going in Thai and used the phrase 'gai-gai'.  Apparently, it means something like close to in Thai; in Chinese it is a slang word for pu**y.  My girlfriend was horrified then amused.

If your Thai friend/wife is named Tiew, never call her name out in public in Hongkong too