Local Picallili

lexxy

On 11/9/2023 at 10:40 AM, lexxy said:

Does anyone know what the local alternative to picalilli is here? Used to love it on my sangas.  Does the thai do something similar such as this?

https://shorturl.at/jqBO2

or

https://shorturl.at/zDIJ0

Depending on where you live, you can buy Picalilli from Nookies Delights . 160 baht for a 710g jar.

• Love It 1

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I make my own mango chutney, which is a similar sort of thing on a cheese butty.

Huh?  That's like saying that "I make my own strawberry jam, which is similar to tomato ketchup in a butty".  Mango chutney is nothing at all like piccalilli...unless you're making piccalilli and calling it mango chutney!  

Edited by Liverpool Lou

It is possible that a local alternative to picalilli in Thailand could be pickled papaya or pickled shallots. These can be found in some supermarkets or local markets. Alternatively, there are many spicy and tangy condiments in Thai cuisine, such as nam prik pao or nam pla prik, which could be used as a substitute.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jamessmith0901 said:

It is possible that a local alternative to picalilli in Thailand could be pickled papaya or pickled shallots. These can be found in some supermarkets or local markets. Alternatively, there are many spicy and tangy condiments in Thai cuisine, such as nam prik pao or nam pla prik, which could be used as a substitute.

actually i tried the links above for the mustard greens but they are too cruncy, where i want the texture of the cauliflower.. i will test the villa market one and try to contact the guy in buriram too.

20 hours ago, lexxy said:

actually i tried the links above for the mustard greens but they are too cruncy, where i want the texture of the cauliflower.. i will test the villa market one and try to contact the guy in buriram too.

You can try boiling or blanching those mustard greens to make them less crunchy. But trying different spices and flavors can also make a huge difference! Let us know how it goes, cheers! 

• Thumbs Up 1