Family Gems

duratanium

Think out loud about needing work doing and the family are there to help out or push me out of the way and do the work themselves.

When the kitchen needed new brickwork and tiling, cupboards etc, the family didn't bat an eyelid and on production of the materials they got on and did the work. The finish is very professional too.

Same goes for putting concrete around the house. I supplied the sand, gravel, cement and steel rods. The family borrowed a cement mixer and within two days the work was done.

The cost? a few beers!!

If I buy lemon trees, mango trees etc to be planted on the 1/4 rai of land, the family beam from ear to ear and the tree are planted in quick time.

Mosquito screens? The family found someone to fix new ones including steel framed doors front and back at very little cost above the raw materials.

Back ache from working with the family lifting bags of cement etc? Mama is always there and happy to give a full Thai Massage and laughs when I tell her I have an elephant walking on my back.

If I have a few beers in the fridge I can almost guarantee some family will soon be there to help me drink them. The chairs are brought from all corners of the houses, a table or two appears, food is brought over, the music goes on and we all have a good time.

When I forget to get any beers in for a few days there will be a shout and they produce the beers, the food etc and we have a good time.

After they have had a good week working and the various family children have a few Bhat in their pockets from working music or whatever, it is only a matter of time before one says 'Buffet'. We all pile into the pick-up and head off to town where they can gorge themselves to their hearts content for 75 Baht each. I buy the beers for the adults and we wait for the very sexy Beer Chang girl to serve us and the topic is usually who will have her as a 'mia noi' LOL.

I had contemplated for a while about keeping fish. When I saw a drainage pipe 6 foot dia and 16 inches deep the family came along talked for ages about it - as Thais do - then we all got stuck in, put it on the wagon, back to the house and now, complete with spotlights, plants, fish and fountain we have a focal point for the family gatherings.... and beers :o

I know a lot is said and discussed about Thais and Thailand and a lot of it not always good, but here I find the family as a whole can be brilliant. Makes life in general worthwhile and life in Thailand a whole lot better :D

Surely no one can be this gullible - how long have you been in Thailand, 1 month?

He does have another thread today complaning about how little his Thai partner does for him?????

Its titled, "Selfish Thai's"

Edited by Prakanong

Surely no one can be this gullible - how long have you been in Thailand, 1 month?

Gullible? If you knew the family then you would understand how sad that reply is. I was rightly pointing out that the family help a lot - as I help them in return.

A few beers is all it costs so where is the gullibility? I live in the house so it seems perfectly sensible to want to walk around it on concrete than on mud. I use the kitchen etc so same applies.

The cost of raw maerial is a lot less than renting a condo, flat etc. So, again, where is the gullibility? Yes she gets her houe improved, but I also get my environment improved too.

He does have another thread today complaning about how little his Thai partner does for him?????

Its titled, "Selfish Thai's"

Not so much how much she does as to attitude SBK :o

Perhaps he's been so spoiled by the family, his gf seems lacking in comparison???

Maybe LOL

That is a close description of my own Thai part of the family.

Except for the beers, as i not drink.

It is great as things get done quickly. Sharing the work and the fun is great.

Not all members of the family of course but most.

Great to read a good feeling report. Good stuff!

Beer can be a wonderful motivation tool. :o:D

Cheers,

Soundman.

That was the general idea. Reminds me in many ways of what family life used to be like in the U.K. many years ago. And it was meant as being positive.

I'm wondering what their reaction would be if I bought a bottle of 100 pipers whiskey + soda and ice of course. LOL.

Great to read a good feeling report. Good stuff!

Beer can be a wonderful motivation tool. :o:D

Cheers,

Soundman.

That was the general idea. Reminds me in many ways of what family life used to be like in the U.K. many years ago. And it was meant as being positive.

I'm wondering what their reaction would be if I bought a bottle of 100 pipers whiskey + soda and ice of course. LOL.

that story sounds just like mine ,my wifes family can do almost anything i need doing ,if not they know a man , sure i pay them ,'d have to pay somebody else and as there family i can go out sure no one is going to steal from me ,this is not gullible it just makes sense ,and i've been in thailand 13 years ,some of the family were children when i came ,now they are adults and know me well and respect me as part of there family :D

ofcourse they are very helpful . Ofcourse they are nice , they really are .

Until they have a small problem and all the eyes will look at you !

I would think twice to make a home near the family compounds ..........

Why , well people staying long enough will understand , culture customs etc etc ,

In the end you will get very tired , but yeah they are all still very nice , they don't think to much forgive and forget

and in a while they come and ask you again about their small problem .........TIT .