Pcie X16 issues

BenStark

26 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Getting really pi**ed off now.

Windows 10 was running, so I download the drivers for my VGA from the Asus website.

After download I try to install, and after a while the installation program tells me, can not find compatible hardware.

So I install the VGA but keep the monitor connected to the MB HDMI slot. Get 5 short beeps on boot and no screen.

Remove VGA again and now I get the below screen with monitor connected to MB,

Tried different cables and monitor, same result. Have reset CMOS and removed HD, no improvement.

I can hear from the fans that the PC frequently restarts, and after several restarts I start to get a long beep with a similar long pause, but the beeps never end. I stopped counting at 25.

Could contain:

Check your hdmi cable is connected properly on either end or change the hdmi cable.

Which version of windows did you install 32 bit or x64?

You should have installed windows x64 and the version of the graphics card driver should be x64.

Get the correct 32 bit or x64 driver insync with the version of windows installed.

Continuous long beep is memory error. If the pc start beep, better to shut down and investigate where and why.

Edited by freeworld

43 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Getting really pi**ed off now.

Windows 10 was running, so I download the drivers for my VGA from the Asus website.

After download I try to install, and after a while the installation program tells me, can not find compatible hardware.

So I install the VGA but keep the monitor connected to the MB HDMI slot. Get 5 short beeps on boot and no screen.

Remove VGA again and now I get the below screen with monitor connected to MB,

Tried different cables and monitor, same result. Have reset CMOS and removed HD, no improvement.

I can hear from the fans that the PC frequently restarts, and after several restarts I start to get a long beep with a similar long pause, but the beeps never end. I stopped counting at 25.

Could contain:

The graphics card must be installed when you install the driver.

12 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Check your hdmi cable is connected properly on either end or change the hdmi cable.

Did all that, different cables, different port and different monitors.

Somehow I got it sorted after much playing around, no idea how, as a bit stressed out by now. :-)

What I remember is I reinstalled the VGA and connected the HDMI to it, and then managed to get in the BIOS.

I set display output to IGFX and internal graphics to enable and also enabled CSM support.

Then reinstalled SSD and rebooted with HDMI connected to the MB. I then was able to boot and install the VGA drivers.

Rebooted again and now set Display to PCI and internal graphics to auto.

Now the PC boots from both HDMI ports, and I need a beer.

Everything is X64

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Just checked activation and it says Windows 10 is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account.

Never paid for a Microsoft licence in my life, so how this can be?

If you had a genuine license windows 7 and input that then it will be auto activated by microsoft. My windows 7 and windows 8.1 license is like that without pay extra and I have updated to win 10 and then win 11.

Or perhaps the previous owner of the motherboard license is still associated with that motherboard.

Edited by freeworld

18 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Did all that, different cables, different port and different monitors.

Somehow I got it sorted after much playing around, no idea how, as a bit stressed out by now. :-)

What I remember is I reinstalled the VGA and connected the HDMI to it, and then managed to get in the BIOS.

I set display output to IGFX and internal graphics to enable and also enabled CSM support.

Then reinstalled SSD and rebooted with HDMI connected to the MB. I then was able to boot and install the VGA drivers.

Rebooted again and now set Display to PCI and internal graphics to auto.

Now the PC boots from both HDMI ports, and I need a beer.

Everything is X64

This is very good news so all is working with win 10.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freeworld said:

If you had a genuine license windows 7 ans input that then it will be auto activated by microsoft.

Or perhaps the previous owner of the motherboard license is still associated with that motherboard.

The licence for Windows 7 I obtained through a BIOS upgrade. I created a Microsoft account much later.

It also says linked to my microsoft account, obviously the previous owner had a different account.

About 6 months ago I bought a second hand Fujitsu Arrows with a legit Windows 10, and my MS account is installed on that laptop, but not associated with the validation since it came with a validated Windows.

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

The licence for Windows 7 I obtained through a BIOS upgrade. I created a Microsoft account much later.

It also says linked to my microsoft account, obviously the previous owner had a different account.

About 6 months ago I bought a second hand Fujitsu Arrows with a legit Windows 10, and my MS account is installed on that laptop, but not associated with the validation since it came with a validated Windows.

Yeah I would not worry too much about that, if it is activated by microsoft then use it.

On 11/13/2023 at 4:06 PM, BenStark said:

If you created a Microsoft account on the device with the Gigabyte(Royalty activation) you must have linked that genuine activation to the Microsoft account you created. 

Next debacle.

In BIOS IO ports Display is set to PCIe and internal graphics to : enabled.

When I connect monitor to VGA, I get the single beep then BIOS logo for ~20 seconds then Windows log in screen.

Connected to the MB HDMI I get the single beep, then black screen for ~20 seconds and next Windows login screen.

If I set internal graphics to AUTO, i get the single beep, then no signal on my screen.

Connected to the graphics card, everything normal.

Any setting I should change?

34 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Next debacle.

In BIOS IO ports Display is set to PCIe and internal graphics to : enabled.

When I connect monitor to VGA, I get the single beep then BIOS logo for ~20 seconds then Windows log in screen.

Connected to the MB HDMI I get the single beep, then black screen for ~20 seconds and next Windows login screen.

If I set internal graphics to AUTO, i get the single beep, then no signal on my screen.

Connected to the graphics card, everything normal.

Any setting I should change?

Check in device manager, are all the device drivers installed?

Did you update the drivers with the motherboard drivers from Gigabyte website.

VGA card drivers

Chipset drivers

First download and install those if they are not.

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

Check in device manager, are all the device drivers installed?

Did you update the drivers with the motherboard drivers from Gigabyte website.

VGA card drivers

Chipset drivers

First download and install those if they are not.

All drivers installed from CD and updated through website.

In case something was lost in translation, monitor connected to internal graphics and internal graphics set to : enabled.

PC boots up, get single beep that it start normal, but it skips the screen with the Gigabyte logo, and after about 20 seconds it gives me Windows log in screen.

With internal graphics set to : auto.

I get the single beep that PC start normal, then get the no signal screen, and that's where it stays

You normally want to use your graphics card, but now you're getting your kickers in a twist about the internal graphics setting and port that you aren't going to use anyway.

The BIOS doesn't much like the internal graphics being enabled while you have that card in its slot. Set it to disabled and use your computer for whatever. If you want to use the internal graphics, take out the card, and reset the parameter.

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You normally want to use your graphics card, but now you're getting your kickers in a twist about the internal graphics setting and port that you aren't going to use anyway.

The BIOS doesn't much like the internal graphics being enabled while you have that card in its slot. Set it to disabled and use your computer for whatever. If you want to use the internal graphics, take out the card, and reset the parameter.

My understanding with that is, that if the graphics card fails in the future, I will not be able to enter the bios to change the parameters

7 minutes ago, BenStark said:

My understanding with that is, that if the graphics card fails in the future, I will not be able to enter the bios to change the parameters

Your BIOS should then default to internal graphics. You can always just clear CMOS. Sorted.

This is what you wrote before. Everything was working.

"Rebooted again and now set Display to PCI and internal graphics to auto.

Now the PC boots from both HDMI ports, and I need a beer"

When you mention VGA what does that mean? you are connecting from hdmi at the pc to VGA on the monitor?

"When I connect monitor to VGA, I get the single beep then BIOS logo for ~20 seconds then Windows log in screen. " Where is this VGA? on the PC or monitor?

Edited by freeworld

19 minutes ago, BenStark said:

If the internal graphics fails then the motherboard will be kaput of course, atm there is no such problem.

6 minutes ago, freeworld said:

When you mention VGA what does that mean? you are connecting from hdmi at the pc to VGA on the monitor?

With VGA I mean the external card.

7 minutes ago, freeworld said:

This is what you wrote before. Everything was working.

"Rebooted again and now set Display to PCI and internal graphics to auto.

Now the PC boots from both HDMI ports, and I need a beer"

Yes I con't know if I made an error there or if it has to do with a different monitor.

When I posted that I had moved the PC to my 65" LG TV, and now have moved it back to my default monitor.

On second thought I think i might have been confused and internal graphics was actually set to enable at the time of the post.

Take note I was messing around for a few hours already and didn't know my face from my arse anymore :-)

32 minutes ago, BenStark said:

With VGA I mean the external card.

Yes I con't know if I made an error there or if it has to do with a different monitor.

When I posted that I had moved the PC to my 65" LG TV, and now have moved it back to my default monitor.

On second thought I think i might have been confused and internal graphics was actually set to enable at the time of the post.

Take note I was messing around for a few hours already and didn't know my face from my arse anymore :-)

This is what the user manual states

(IO Ports
& Initial Display Output
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI Express graphics card or the onboard
graphics.
IGFX (Note) Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
PCIe 1 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (Default)
This item is configurable only when CSM Support is set to Enabled.
& Internal Graphics
Enables or disables the onboard graphics function. (Default: Auto))

So if you set everything to default ie Graphics card is the default priority and internal graphics are default set to auto everything should work.

You say you are missing the Gigabyte logo at boot, you can turn it on or off in the BIOS (Full screen Logo show)

Edited by freeworld

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I get the logo with the external card, but not with the internal

Connect to MB HDMI, boot PC and check in BIOS when connected to internal graphics is that function enabled or disabled?

BTW how do you get in BIOS via software or through boot?

1 minute ago, freeworld said:

Connect to MB HDMI, boot PC and check in BIOS when connected to internal graphics is that function enabled or disabled?

I can not get into the BIOS when connected to the MB HDMI as I get a pitch black screen.

I normally get in the BIOS by pressing the delete button as soon as the logo appears

Check in Device manager of windows for graphics drivers installed, is both the intel and nvidia drivers there?

16 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I can not get into the BIOS when connected to the MB HDMI as I get a pitch black screen.

I normally get in the BIOS by pressing the delete button as soon as the logo appears

Connect to the Ext graphics card, Get into bios, set the setting how you want, then disable CSM.

Can the PC boot then to windows screen on both igfx and Ext graphics?

Edited by freeworld

5 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Check in Device manager of windows for graphics drivers installed

Connect to the Ext graphics card, Get into bios, set the setting how you want, then disable CSM.

Can the PC boot then to windows screen on both igfx and Ext graphics?

When disable CSM I get 5 beeps if external card is plugged in, regardless of where the HDMI is connected.

I also found this earlier on Reddit

And this

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-e&q=gigabyte+csm+reddit#ip=1

Edited by BenStark

13 minutes ago, BenStark said:

When disable CSM I get 5 beeps if external card is plugged in, regardless of where the HDMI is connected.

So which are the settings when everything works?

Does it work when you are connected to another monitor? I see some people have problems like that with gigabyte bios and MB it does not recognize some monitors.

39 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I also found this earlier on Reddit

And this

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-e&q=gigabyte+csm+reddit#ip=1

There are various reasons and temporary solutions.

Seems Gigabyte BIOS is problematic.

Did you try some of their solutions ie monitor off, boot pc then switch on the monitor, see if that works. What brand is the monitor, is the monitor connection by HDMI?

You might have to open a ticket on Gigabyte warranty site, explain the problem with their bios and they might issue a bios update.

Edited by freeworld

25 minutes ago, freeworld said:

So which are the settings when everything works?

CMS enabled

IO ports : PCIe

internal graphics enabled

Then I can boot into Windows with both internal and external graphics, but I don't get a BIOS start up screen when connected to internal graphics.

I don't use monitors. My office screen is a 50" Sharp LED TV, the other one is a 65" LG Smart TV 4K LED.

Thanks for your help mate, it is much appreciated, but I'm gonna give it a rest for now as I have a lot more on my head.

I'm sure many more people already have opened a ticket with Gigabyte, so i'm not gonna bother with that.

When I was sourcing the components for the new PC i started a thread, and when I posted about the MB was told Gigabyte was the best, and I actually was of the same opinion because my previous PC is also Gigabyte.

Wish now I had done more research on this particular board.

Thanks again

Can you check which partition style your harddisk is in (GPT or MBR)?

From Gigabyte website

CSM

CSM Support can be situationally important. You’ll need to enable this compatibility feature to boot from a legacy MBR-partitioned drive. On the other hand, if you want modern UEFI features like Secure Boot, you must disable this.

2 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Can you check which partition style your harddisk is in (GPT or MBR)?

From Gigabyte website

CSM

CSM Support can be situationally important. You’ll need to enable this compatibility feature to boot from a legacy MBR-partitioned drive. On the other hand, if you want modern UEFI features like Secure Boot, you must disable this.

it's UEFI

Just now, BenStark said:

it's UEFI

Yes but what partition style is the disk in GPT or MBR.

Check in the disk management-right click on your disk-select properties and you will see MBR or GPT.

or

Open a cmd terminal and type

diskpart (enter)

list disk (enter)

you can see gpt or mbr next to the disks listed