Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

3 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

It would be interesting to see just what percentage of members actually live in Thailand / Asean

This forum isn't even able to attract a fair chunk of the expat community.

Every time I mention this forum in a conversation, nobody knows about it.

People here are all connected to Thailand/Asean in a way or another.

Most of the time it probably all started with beer and a girl :)

Anyways...

Edited by MrPancake

1 minute ago, MrPancake said:

Rewriting a moronic forum rule has nothing to do whatsoever with avoid fossil fuel as a source of energy.

"everyone has an opinion about everything and has a medium for pressing that their preferred version is adopted."

Yeah... Freedom and democratic debate. Terrible !

Society doesn't function well when everyone has a say about everything, as we see today.

There's nothing mornonic about forums or anywhere else having rules, everyone needs structure and rules whether they care to admit it or not. If I own a shop, I have rules, if somebody doesn't like them they are free to shop elsewhere. If ultimately that leads to me having no customers, I may change my rules but up until now, most of my customers are reasonable and sensible people and business is brisk.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

As their joining dates reveal, many come here just to engage in talk on US / UK politics, Covid, Israel vs Hamas etc.  It would be interesting to see just what percentage of members actually live in Thailand / Asean - not that not doing so is a bad thing, but purely as an academic exercise, though the use of VPNs would make that difficult.

I'm not too sure about that. My joining date is last month but I've been here and a forum member since 2006 hence the date is not reliable. There is however a poll in another thread that attempts to uncover exactly what you describe, if the results are accurate, the number of resident expat members is very high.

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

but of course we should all listen to your opinions though shouldn't we.

Well I've stopped listening to most of yours so there's no reason why you should listen to any of mine, if you don't want to! 

That said, you do raise a useful point,  Opinion – a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. Advice – guidance or recommendations offered with regard to prudent future action. Mr Pancake is recommending something which in my opinion is not a good thing....are you getting there yet!

• Like 1

Off topic, I know, but perhaps this can be squeezed in under just 'managing forum'.  Having just cleared my 'Notifications', I'm wondering why it takes 3 clicks when it used to be just 1.  First you click on 'delete notifications'.  A box comes up, asking 'are you sure?', with 'no' already checked as the default.  So, another click to move it to 'yes', which should be the default since you originally clicked on 'delete notifications, with the intention to delete them.  Then, a final third click to 'confirm' your choice.  In between all that, an ad will also pop up that also has to be clicked on to remove it.  Maybe, if possible, change it back to the easy way it worked before--we're not dealing with some earthshaking, momentous decision here.

7 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

It would be much simpler and better if people wouldn't troll by emoticon in the first place and instead, tried to articulate their thoughts rather than posting silly  childish faces! If this were a kindergarten and all the posters under age 8, I might see things differently. But one minute there are intelligent and in depth discussions about taxation, economics or politics and the next we're faced with a wall of sad emojis, posted by people who presumably don't understand the subject matter or can't be bothered to join in.

Sometimes the comments made aren't worthy of the energy, sometimes they are obviously troll posts which would only generate further trolling if replied to, sometimes the posters use the 'ignore' and wouldn't see a reaction anyway - and so on. Many reasons to use emoticons, then. What I don't get is why some people take them so seriously, or even notice them much.

There's also a limited range of options, so not always easy to convey what was supposed to be meant by them, or to figure out why someone posted one. No use in trying to overthink it too much, IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

On a different forum I was stalked by a certain poster, who even PM'd me as a mod, so I was able to have him banned on that basis, but he kept coming back on under new usernames. I was easily able to identify him from his style, which was unique, so I was able to get him banned again by contacting the mods. Everyone has a unique style, and I'm certain I'd be picked up fast if I came back under a new username.

As an aside, he was also posting on this forum under his original username, and he continued stalking me till he vanished for some unknown reason.

BTW have any you done a google search of your username? It can be quite interesting. In my case, the stalker used to impersonate me on other forums asking stupid questions, like "what sort of birthday present can I buy my Thai GF for under 100 baht" which elicited the expected responses. He also went on hotel sites and gave them phoney reviews.

I suspect he may have died of hatred for me, when he disappeared from TVF.

@thaibeachlovers

So what birthday present did you get her, then?

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I just wish moderation was consistent and, more importantly, politically neutral. I am a paid moderator on an international forum of many thousands and so I do understand the challenges and difficulties of the role.

Very amusing, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1