Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

19 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

People "hate" you because you and others of your ilk post nonsense 24/7. You invite ridicule because most of your posts are ridiculous and irrelevant.

Eg. joining a thread about Parmesan cheese to proclaim that's it not real cheese and smells like vomit.

That's trolling pure and simple. So much for being an adult eh?

When challenged you resort to childish tactics like calling people ladyboys etc and then the mods have to come along and clean up the thread.

Earlier in this thread you were complaining about how people make up stories about you but you do the same.

Eg. you accused me of living in Pattaya and spending all my time in bars. I don't, I live in Bangkok and don't spend very much time in bars.

You also falsely accused me of never having travelled anywhere in Thailand. I have. Travelled up and down the country many times and I sure as hell have learned more than you have despite your protestations to the contrary.

You denigrate other members for their high post count, eg. transam who has 81k posts since 2007. Yet your post count is 10k and you only joined recently, or should I say rejoined as bignok instead of sparktrader. By your own measure you are a troll yet you loudly protest that you're being trolled and mistreated by all the nasty old men.

You are what you accuse others of being.

The only thing you've got going is that because your posts are so inane you generate a lot of clicks so I'm sure our Dan is very pleased with you.

PS. don't bother replying as I won't read it. This post is for others' benefit, not yours.

Can i ask how you know a poster changed their name.

I asked the question on name changes months a go in a topic and was told only mods know.

20 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Well things have changed around here. I was suspended for using the term " drama queen" a few years ago. Guess who were behind that? 

Hopefully the fact that this thread has been 'published' signals that the people who run and moderate this site are looking at all aspects where improvements can be made.  I've been a member of sites where this would never have been posted and making a complaint about a moderator would result in an instant ban without any consideration given to whether the complaint was valid.

I wouldn't like to do a moderator's job but if I did, the first thing I'd put a stop to is petty sniping and name calling such as the term above that you mention.  Its not at all difficult to simply say you don't agree without resorting to cheap snipes and obvious attempts at point scoring, its just childish. Surely that's not what this forum is about?

I've met quite a few people who used to be members here and when you ask them why they don't visit anymore, without exception they point to the behaviour of some members and how the seem to get away with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Well things have changed around here. I was suspended for using the term " drama queen" a few years ago. Guess who were behind that? 

I was suspended for laughing at a moderator, you can give hearts but not a chuckle.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I was suspended for laughing at a moderator, you can give hearts but not a chuckle.

Nor can you use a sad emoji when one of your well researched posts disappears for political reasons.  The next day the subject of my post appeared as a topic posted by the news editor.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, if the new policy of just constantly 'hiding' posts, endless warnings, and the occasional short suspension (wash, rinse, repeat) is on - this forum will probably need a larger moderator team. Not complaining about how they do their tasks, mind. Just that seems like on some topics 'disruptions' can go on for a quite a while until addressed.

• Agree 2

The challenge here is no different than any other forum. X Twitter is the better example.

People can hide behind nicknames.

The true solution is to.have users use their REAL names.

Look at how much trouble it would save people would be responsible for what they posted 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The challenge here is no different than any other forum. X Twitter is the better example.

Look at how much trouble it would save people would be responsible for what they posted 

Lead by example....

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Okay, I'll be Clint Easwood 

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I got a suspension for agreeing with a mod on the footy forum. On the Spurs thread, and I put a sad mojo in the post. Think that brought me up to 12 suspensions. Most of those were total nonsense. Been on egg-shells ever since.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Shop mak said:

How long is a string?

How many # of hidden posts can a member have, before receiving a formal warning, or posting holiday of 7-14 days?

Not easy to decide, because members will always complain, whatever Mods do.

Moderation is a major headache and very exhausting. Mods do this on their free time. Unpaid.

Mods has to read posts and watch certain members on their 'to monitor' list.

Admins have to watch mods action, they also has 1000 more important things to do, always need more advertising, staff, forum software, servers.

Was a mod long time ago (another site). We received 300+ reports per day, + high number of PM's to mods. Can you imagine the workload moderators do?

Many of those who complained, had mostly started the issue at hand!

Self awareness, are lacking in many people.

Selective memory, is another.

Some members always disagree because they didn't have the same experience. Therefore in their own mind, the other member is lying.

Some members don't spend much time outdoors daily, therefore their experience are very limited - still they post strong opinions against other members.

Some members are very aggressive in their replies, they don't see how they come across to other readers.

Some members seldom create a new thread, only baiting trolling  and attack other members. Often I think a majority of members are immature teenagers.

Some longtime members are clearly 'burned out', only attacking other members.

I suspect many members are still outside Thailand due to high airfares. And some who haven't had their 'Thai Fix' for years, are angry and aggressive in their posts, trolling baiting away. 

A small group of wannabe comedians currently post all about nothing, nonsense. Still they have a small fan group. Go figure.

Whatever Mods do, some members will always be unhappy.

Bet you were teachers pet too.

4 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I've seen plenty of your posts being deleted because they were for example misinformation or conspiracy theorist content.

Have you indeed E.

Can't recall any of my posts that you suggest had ';misinformation or conspiracy theorist' info.

Perhaps there was one. When I stated that in my opinion 'no one has been to the moon.' But that was a legitimate claim for the thread it was posted on.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Hopefully the fact that this thread has been 'published' signals that the people who run and moderate this site are looking at all aspects where improvements can be made.  I've been a member of sites where this would never have been posted and making a complaint about a moderator would result in an instant ban without any consideration given to whether the complaint was valid.

I wouldn't like to do a moderator's job but if I did, the first thing I'd put a stop to is petty sniping and name calling such as the term above that you mention.  Its not at all difficult to simply say you don't agree without resorting to cheap snipes and obvious attempts at point scoring, its just childish. Surely that's not what this forum is about?

I've met quite a few people who used to be members here and when you ask them why they don't visit anymore, without exception they point to the behaviour of some members and how the seem to get away with it.

Honestly maybe the term drama queen does apply to you after that post. You simply can't have a forum LIKE THIS ONE. Not the one you have not mentioned. Without  some name calling the entire forum would have closed down!! If you really are offended by the term " drama queen " said at a moment when SEVERAL other actually rude terms could or should have been  used then the problems you or others have is quite internal and have to be dealt with perhaps professionally. This is NOT the place for deep serious people at any level. There are certainly forums for that elsewhere. One other thing that I will point out is that people yes actually teenagers to 90 + post on here. Language has changed my friend from generation to generation and for example Americans may say something that they feel is extremely light and funny that an old British guy will take offense to. On the other hand another old British ( dude) will think it's funny because he has been exposed to the term many times already and not be uptight. 

Edited by alex8912

7 minutes ago, Morch said:

No, that is indeed something you engage in often. Several times on a recent topic, even.

Can't agree with you there Mr Morch.

Sounds as though you are trying to tarnish my posting reputation. If you are then I'll take you off my Xmas ecard list.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Honestly maybe the term drama queen does apply to you after that post. You simply can't have a forum LIKE THIS ONE. Not the one you have not mentioned. Without  some name calling the entire forum would have closed down!! If you really are offended by the term " drama queen " said at a moment when SEVERAL other actually rude terms could or should have been  used the the problems you or others have is quite internal and have to be dealt with perhaps professionally. This is NOT the place for deep serious people at any level. There are certainly forums for that elsewhere. One other thing that I will point out is that people yes actually teenagers to 90 + post on here. Language has changed my friend from generation to generation and for example Americans may say something that they feel is extremely light and funny that an old British guy will take offense to. On the other hand another old British ( dude) will think it's funny because he has been exposed to the term many times already and not be uptight. 

Nowhere did I say I was offended. I just don't see the point of name calling, its totally unnecessary.  That is especially true when someone is doing it to simply 'score points' or in an attempt to appear funny.  No matter what your opinion, members post on here, often asking questions here to get information - that is serious and there is no need for it to descend into a slanging match - which is often started by pointless name calling. 

I couldn't give a toss about someone calling me a 'drama queen' to be honest - its the point behind it and the argument that follows that ires me. You might note that much of it is carried out by the same people - their sole purpose in life seems to be being controversial - one way of dealing with such people is to remove their platform or the content of it.

As I've said previously, I've seen bad behaviour reduce membership of forums to such a point that they are no longer viable.  I know quite a few that have left this site because they were sick of bad behaviour - I'd hate to see this place become unviable.

I am fully aware that language changes over the generations - thank you.

I have a perfect right to my views, as do you

Edited by MangoKorat

13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Can't agree with you there Mr Morch.

Sounds as though you are trying to tarnish my posting reputation. If you are then I'll take you off my Xmas ecard list.

I agree with @Morch numerous times actually but you admitted yourself you've been suspended 12 times 

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I've seen plenty of your posts being deleted because they were for example misinformation or conspiracy theorist content.

Misinformation, conspiracy. It’s an ambiguous phenomenon these days. There has been misinformation disseminated on this site and reinforced as truth by the mods. The idea of censoring opinions is the epitome of fascism. Just because a “reputable news source” states something as true doesn’t necessarily make it so, especially anything that is remotely political. So tell me, who is the author of truth?! Unfiltered history, and as for the current era it’s going to be a few years, maybe a generation or two.

14 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Nowhere did I say I was offended. I just don't see the point of name calling, its totally unnecessary.  That is especially true when someone is doing it to simply 'score points' or in an attempt to appear funny.  No matter what your opinion, members post on here, often asking questions here to get information - that is serious and there is no need for it to descend into a slanging match - which is often started by pointless name calling. 

I couldn't give a toss about someone calling me a 'drama queen' to be honest - its the point behind it and the argument that follows that ires me. You might note that much of it is carried out by the same people - their sole purpose in life seems to be being controversial - one way of dealing with such people is to remove their platform or the content of it.

As I've said previously, I've seen bad behaviour reduce membership of forums to such a point that they are no longer viable.  I know quite a few that have left this site because they were sick of bad behaviour - I'd hate to see this place become unviable.

I am fully aware that language changes over the generations - thank you.

I have a perfect right to my views, as do you

You seem to not mention that many good posters are gone now. Not just the ones who are offended by "bad behavior of others" Many of them were pushed out by moderators and extreme over posters who seemed to control the whole forum. I can think of one poster still on here who must have made hundreds leave because of his complete nonsense and posting freedoms. Also what you may consider is name calling another poster may not. How can you not understand that? I think you do need to be more aware of language changes over the years. You really are not there yet. You have referred to someone " scoring points " in two posts now. Why do you equate name calling with " scoring points"? You seem to contradict yourself. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Agree 1