Using dollars in Cambodia is stupid

MrPancake

It's a bank money spinner.  Happens often in the third world.  I once took Baht to the Philippines and got a good exchange in Manila.  Then, when I got to Boracay the Baht exchange value decreased by over 50%.  Once I got to Clark/Angeles the Baht exchange was back to normal.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It's not a money spinner, the cambodians even use dollars themselves. It always been like this. The riels are just not useful and require a lot of dirty notes compared to dollars. Just for small change they always use riels. Most pricing is even default in dollars. 

Outside of cities like PP nobody uses dollars on a regular basis.

In Phnom Penh every cambodian I've seen is paying in riels.

Change always comes in riel as well unless you ask for dollars.

They ain't stupid.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

No because outside of the bigger cities they are extremely poor. So then the small domination notes are perfectly fine.

Might be true for 100 and 500 riels notes but starting from 1000 onwards, they use their local notes everywhere.

Have you ever been to Cambodia, bro ?

Because it surely feels like you've no idea how things work here.

And don't tell me it's the other way around because I'm in PP as we speak ;)

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MrPancake said:

By the look of it, it's already dead.

Some  might argue that it  has never been really alive  so existing on life support offers promise of possible  wealth  or bliss in succumbing to death. Asia  demonstrates stark reality of the circumstance most of the worlds populace relatively  exists in.

No mention of  what the depreciated eventual cash in hand buys for the savvy in Cambodia.

• Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, swerve said:

It's a bank money spinner.  Happens often in the third world. 

Not just in the third world. Spent some time in Australia; while some tour companies and hotels charged a fair rate, a few used the opportunity to overcharge by using a rate more reminiscent of a cash currency exchange rate (for online bookings that is)...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 2

56 minutes ago, RanongCat said:

Some  might argue that it  has never been really alive  so existing on life support offers promise of possible  wealth  or bliss in succumbing to death. Asia  demonstrates stark reality of the circumstance most of the worlds populace relatively  exists in.

No mention of  what the depreciated eventual cash in hand buys for the savvy in Cambodia.

Good point. It was probably a bit better prior to covid though.

I've been talking with a guide selling stuff near the Tonlé Sap.

He told me things didn't really picked up of the pandemic.

Riel holding on good on the Forex compared to the Lao kip though...

3 hours ago, MrPancake said:

Then you'll pay in dollars and get riels back at the unofficial rate of 1dollar = 4000 riels.

That's a 123 riels loss on each dollar based on the current official rate - roughly 3%.

So another 3$ down the drain for each 100$ bill you have.

Why would you do that?

Shirley, you'd take your big, handsome, crisp $100 bills to the local market and exchange whatever you estimate you'll need for your visit.  Then all your purchases will be with riel, no dollars.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Why would you do that?

Shirley, you'd take your big, handsome, crisp $100 bills to the local market and exchange whatever you estimate you'll need for your visit.  Then all your purchases will be with riel, no dollars.

Whoever you use to exchange your dollars in riels will take a commission (which is normal).

The best way to do things is just to not bother with dollars in the first place and withdraw riels.

It also avoid some people taking advantage of you when giving you riels back. Some try to give you less counting on the fact that you won't be able to calculate the right amount of change in riels. Happens to me twice already. Thanks god I'm not too at mental calculation so I kindly reminded my interlocutors to please stop f'ing around.

Anyways. That's Cambodia.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Moneyhonour said:

Then I don't understand your joke. Cambodia is a beautiful country with lots to do.

Siem Reap nightlife, Ankor Wat and surroundings 

PP nightlife in street 51 with two famous nightclubs and the RLD in street 136 up, also very good restaurants trough out the city.

Kep/Kampot for deliciousness Black Pepper Crab and of course their famous pepper plantations. The former French/Indochina Riviera with very good resorts.

Sihanoukville and the Islands.

What's not to like? 

The country is going with the flow of quality tourists, Backpackers on a budget can better go to Laos.

Ok so essentially you don't understand yourself and why you thought this post was a joke in the first place.

So let me clarify because you're obviously struggling.

The way I presented things was kind of a joke. You know ?

Like the gif saying I'm laughing not to cry, etc...

Over-dramatization if you will.

What is not a joke is the fact that the entire system is design to get as much of your money as possible in exchange of nothing. I'm a capitalist and I like to get stuff for my bucks.

I didn't say Cambodia wasn't a beautiful country. I said PP sucks.

Restaurants might be good. They're also horrendously overpriced.

Everything is far more expensive than in Thailand and Vietnam.

And there is no credible justification for that.

You can say whatever you want, the fact remains that the entire city riverside is in the business of ripping off tourists.

PP is just terrible value for money.

Cambodian ATMs are a rip-off.

Dollars are useless.

And, as demonstrated in my OP, in the best case scenario (that is if you use a wise card), you'll need to pay a 5% fee on whatever you want to spend in order to be able to spend it.

If you ain't using Wise, It's probably more like 8-10% depending on how f$cked up your bank is.

This is BS. Period.

Edited by MrPancake
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1