Using dollars in Cambodia is stupid

MrPancake

29 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

It's not an issue. Just a fact.

$2,50 for a small cap of coffee is what it is...

WOW!    ....and that broke the bank - and left you all bitter about PP?

I have had dozens of meals in PP, all good quality and a very fair price. In 10 visits there not once did I say "Jeez that was expensive"....maybe one restaurant, but that was in the top 10 and, whilst expensive, was fair value from what we had.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

PP is a joke. Why go there if you can go to BKK? I have only gone there when I was forced to

I'm forced to 😄

Used my 2 thai exemptions for 2023 and I'm boycotting the tourist visa coz the process to get it is just too much of a joke.

So I went to Laos and then Vietnam and I thought yolo let's try Cambodia. I knew reviews were mixed but I saw a couple of youtubers (Paddy, etc...) raving about it so...

Anyways. It is what it is.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Moneyhonour said:

If you don't pay the 220thb ATM fee this will be absolute the best deal. Are you using Thai cards? As I stated in an earlier post I use Wise to send money to my Thai bank account at lowest fee and the best possible rate. That also give me the opportunity avoiding the ATM fee. Another good alternative is Revolut.

No ATM fee. I’m not using Thai cards. Revolut is absolutely not a good alternative. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, MrPancake said:

Yeah I know. My bank is offering me the same deal and I compared with Wise. Even with the Wise rate above 200€, Wise is more attractive. Can't remember how much difference there was but something like 10€.

The interbank rate can't be higher than the Mastercard rate. Mastercard is exchanging money on your behalf at the interbank rate + their fee.

Try reading again. Do you imagine that I have made a mistake?

Your bank is not my bank. How should I know what your bank charges without even knowing your bank?
I am referring to my cards and have indicated an example above, which is accurate. I deliberately did not include the 220 baht ATM fee in the illustration, as it would seem unfair to you. But since I don’t pay an ATM fee in such a transaction, the figures would have been 3,271 for you and 3,542 for me. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MrPancake said:

Yeah but we're talking Cambodia here. Would you get the same deal with your Thai card in Cambodia ?

Not the same deal. The point being is that I would get a better deal than you, with your WISE card. It’s ‘beatable’. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JimTripper said:

i tried to take out rent all at once at a cambodian atm. the $100 bills were ok since it was for rent. the atm did not dispense the money, gave the card back and a message said 'out of order'. i checked and the money was deducted from my bank account. i talked to the bank manager, saying maybe the money was stuck in the atm slot 🤣. they did a bank to bank investigation with my bank in the usa, even called them on the phone, but my money was never refunded.

i think what happened is the atm ran out of money and shut down but had already sent the message that the bills were dispensed 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nope. As a reconciliation would have confirmed US$400 too much in the ATM. You were scammed. 

On 11/10/2023 at 5:59 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

I thought this was a joke post but the OP is actually serious, get a life. If you are that cheap you could have gotten your dollars upfront outside of the country too, and once you have dollars, you can just pay in dollars anywhere too, no need to change it. Whining over 120 riels, 0,029 USD cents lol.

Even you would lose 20 dollars on your exchanged money, you get cheap beers that earn it back already after 10.

Agreed,I spent a month in PP earlier this year.I bought USD with THB in LOS before I left.

It was easy from there on in.No hassles with changing money and painless as things were mostly less expensive in some places.

Arrive with USD cash is my advice. To be honest I never tried an ATM withdrawal so I can't speak about fees.

• Thanks 1

So at the bottom line using dollars in Cambodia is not stupid. The OP had various examples of how to obtain them at the lowest rates and fees. Another line in all the conversations is that the OP finds Cambodia an expensive and dirty country, well that's the homework he had to do before traveling to the country.

26 minutes ago, Moneyhonour said:

So at the bottom line using dollars in Cambodia is not stupid. The OP had various examples of how to obtain them at the lowest rates and fees. Another line in all the conversations is that the OP finds Cambodia an expensive and dirty country, well that's the homework he had to do before traveling to the country.

My god you really ain't too bright, are you...

Using dollars here is unnecessary and almost always ends up costing you more compared to riels, regardless of where you get your dollars. As for my opinion about PP - and not Cambodia as a whole how many times will I have to tell you that - it is shared by enough people to be considered perfectly valid.

Now which part don't you understand ?

giphy.gif

Edited by MrPancake

20 hours ago, MrPancake said:

Yeah I know. My bank is offering me the same deal and I compared with Wise. Even with the Wise rate above 200€, Wise is more attractive. Can't remember how much difference there was but something like 10€.

The interbank rate can't be higher than the Mastercard rate. Mastercard is exchanging money on your behalf at the interbank rate + their fee.

Do you understand what ‘higher’ means?

2 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

No you didn't.

Starting with no explanation about why your mastercard rate is inferior to the interbank rate.

I think you are confusing yourself. Take a few deep breaths and then re-read what you have written. You are contradicting yourself. 
You have already explained why the MasterCard rate is ‘inferior’, so why do you need an explanation, from me?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

I think you are confusing yourself. Take a few deep breaths and then re-read what you have written. You are contradicting yourself. 
You have already explained why the MasterCard rate is ‘inferior’, so why do you need an explanation, from me?

You bore me to death with your childish nonsense.

If at some point you care to explain yourself properly, go ahead.

Otherwise run along.

You're off-topic anyway.

Edited by MrPancake

2 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

You bore me to death with your childish nonsense.

If at some point you care to explain yourself properly, go ahead.

Otherwise run along.

You're off-topic anyway.

You are showing yourself up. I’m not joking. Re-read what you have written. None of it makes any sense. I have explained it quite clearly. Everyone else here understands what I have posted. So instead of arguing stupidly and making yourself look a fool, look again at everything written until you understand it. It’s quite clearly explained. 

Just now, NextG said:

You are showing yourself up. I’m not joking. Re-read what you have written. None of it makes any sense. I have explained it quite clearly. Everyone else here understands what I have posted. So instead of arguing stupidly and making yourself look a fool, look again at everything written until you understand it. It’s quite clearly explained. 

Yeah right.

Just now, MrPancake said:

Yeah right.

Don’t make yourself look a fool on your own thread. It’s not an issue if maths is not your strong point and I’m trying to help you. But you are stupidly trying to bite the hand that is feeding you. If I am telling you what you are writing makes no sense at all, then instead of just reacting defensively, think about the possibility that what I am writing might be true. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NextG said:

Don’t make yourself look a fool on your own thread. It’s not an issue if maths is not your strong point and I’m trying to help you. But you are stupidly trying to bite the hand that is feeding you. If I am telling you what you are writing makes no sense at all, then instead of just reacting defensively, think about the possibility that what I am writing might be true. 

giphy.gif

Just now, NextG said:

Mr. Pancake is probably derived from the nickname "Banana Pancake" The name we give to the lowlife travellers that have not enough money to enjoy fully SE Asia. Renting an $11 room says it all. In my native language pancake is translated "Pannenkoek" it's also a name we give to extreme and utterly dumb persons.

Just now, Moneyhonour said:

Mr. Pancake is probably derived from the nickname "Banana Pancake" The name we give to the lowlife travellers that have not enough money to enjoy fully SE Asia. Renting an $11 room says it all. In my native language pancake is translated "Pannenkoek" it's also a name we give to extreme and utterly dumb persons.

It’s actually a bit sad…

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Moneyhonour said:

At least I have enough education to be roughly understandable when writing in english.

Now shush and go back to school.

Edited by MrPancake

17 minutes ago, NextG said:

Do you understand what ‘higher’ means?

You are mixing terms up in so they don’t make sense at all. You write ‘higher’ when you might mean ‘lower’. You write ‘inferior’ when you might mean ‘superior’. So nothing you are writing makes any sense at all. I don’t have any history with you, so why would you imagine that I am trying to harm you in some way? Believe me when I tell you that what you have written makes no sense at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, NextG said:

You are mixing terms up in so they don’t make sense at all. You write ‘higher’ when you might mean ‘lower’. You write ‘inferior’ when you might mean ‘superior’. So nothing you are writing makes any sense at all. I don’t have any history with you, so why would you imagine that I am trying to harm you in some way? Believe me when I tell you that what you have written makes no sense at all. 

If you're able to identify my mistakes, you're also able to take them into account to figure out what my point really is. My point is your numbers are incorrect which in turn means your results are incorrect. Can't understand that? Too bad.

Edited by MrPancake

1 minute ago, MrPancake said:

If you're able to identify my mistakes, you're also able to take them into account to figure out what my point really is. My point is your numbers are incorrect which in turn means your results are incorrect. Can't understand that? Don't care.

No, your ‘point’ is wrong whichever way you look at it. My figures are correct. You can run them for yourself on any chosen day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

At least I have enough education to be roughly understandable when writting in english.

Now shush and go back to school.

So you don't understand what I am writing? Then you have to go back to school for learning reading comprehension, Pannenkoek.