Ere that's my backyard

dick turpin

Very nice.  My first thought was it would ne cool if there was a sustainable population of deer to harvest one or two from your vantage point.   

Edited by Elkski
Amd a cool fall breeze in your face and no mozzys
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

Very nice.  My first thought was it would ne cool if there was a sustainable population of deer to harvest one or two from your vantage point.   

He could have some of the deer from here, Lower Bucks County, south eastern Pennsylvania, U.S. of A..  I have nearly hit two of them in this suburban housing area in about the last two weeks.   

I went to the shooting range last week at 9 PM and there was a small herd of deer frolicking in the parking lot.  They must have known I don't hunt animals.   

I have counted close to 10 dead deer on the roadside, hit by vehicles.  

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

Unless you're keen on shooting them, deer meat is pretty easy to get in Thailand.

Just now, Morch said:

Unless you're keen on shooting them, deer meat is pretty easy to get in Thailand.

Since Vietnam, the only time I shoot an animal is if I have no money for food and it hasn't been like that since 1987 when I was hired by the 'gubmint.   I always have money and there is always something to eat. 

1 minute ago, radiochaser said:

Since Vietnam, the only time I shoot an animal is if I have no money for food and it hasn't been like that since 1987 when I was hired by the 'gubmint.   I always have money and there is always something to eat. 

That's good. I don't hunt, and the couple of times I joined a hunt, didn't like it much. Seemed way unfair, and unnecessary. I do have a friend in the USA who hunts with bow, crossbow, knife and spear, but only when he needs to, and not always successful.

2 hours ago, radiochaser said:

He could have some of the deer from here, Lower Bucks County, south eastern Pennsylvania, U.S. of A..  I have nearly hit two of them in this suburban housing area in about the last two weeks.   

I went to the shooting range last week at 9 PM and there was a small herd of deer frolicking in the parking lot.  They must have known I don't hunt animals.   

I have counted close to 10 dead deer on the roadside, hit by vehicles.  

I use to see at least 10, in the early morning mist at an apple orchard, when going to work at Ridley State Park.

And along the highway, when I did a 3 ish am drive to Rehoboth Beach, DE, from Delaware County for early sunrise brekkie.  Damn scary at times, as riding a motorcycle.

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I use to see at least 10, in the early morning mist at an apple orchard, when going to work at Ridley State Park.

And along the highway, when I did a 3 ish am drive to Rehoboth Beach, DE, from Delaware County for early sunrise brekkie.  Damn scary at times, as riding a motorcycle.

I had frequent after hours calls for urgent assistance from police departments, usually in New Jersey.  This usually resulted in me driving the New Jersey Turnpike or Garden State Parkway at high speeds in the night upwards of 85 mph.   There were herds of deer right off the shoulders of the highways, mostly the Garden State Parkway, that were from about 5 to (a guess>>->) 50!   I was always concerned that one or more deer would bolt across the highway in front of me.   The evidence that deer had done just that, littered the sides of the highways!

36 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I had frequent after hours calls for urgent assistance from police departments, usually in New Jersey.  This usually resulted in me driving the New Jersey Turnpike or Garden State Parkway at high speeds in the night upwards of 85 mph.   There were herds of deer right off the shoulders of the highways, mostly the Garden State Parkway, that were from about 5 to (a guess>>->) 50!   I was always concerned that one or more deer would bolt across the highway in front of me.   The evidence that deer had done just that, littered the sides of the highways!

I used to also drive the NJ turnpike when I worked at Newark airport, from Bethel, Pa (hwy 322/near Chester, PA), and a 2.5 hr commute to work (one way).  Non yanks have no idea how dangerous the deer population is in USA.

On topic:  Wouldn't mind 1 or 3 in the backyard here though, as long as 'tick free'.

Anyone wanting to see a bunch of 'free roaming' deer, Chumphon the place to go:

image.png.2c94fe9fad57c79cf0f7c854cf1b367d.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Non yanks have no idea how dangerous the deer population is in USA.

Believe it or not there are deer in many other countries.

Yanks probably have no idea how dangerous Australian roads can be with kangaroos, emus, cattle, sheep, camels, buffalo and more, likely to jump in front of vehicles at any time in vast unfenced areas of that country.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Yanks probably have no idea how dangerous Australian roads can be with kangaroos, emus, cattle, sheep, camels, buffalo and more, likely to jump in front of vehicles at any time in vast unfenced areas of that country.

Camels?

27 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Roos I know about, as get plenty of press.  "Roo guards" for your vehicles ... nuff said

Both quite the nuisance ... 

"About 1.5 million deer-car accidents happen every year. More than $1 billion in annual insured losses are due to damages caused by deer-car accidents. Deer-car accidents cause about 175 to 200 fatalities and 10,000 injuries annually. Feb 13, 2023"

My home state of PA making top 5 list for accidents with:

image.png.b308a69a714e12741deed3d0058aa909.png

Edited by KhunLA

31 minutes ago, Morch said:

Live and learn. Thought it was more a Middle East, North Africa, Central Asia thing.

Thanks.

Australia has sold camels to Arab countries. Apparently, they have better, purer breeding closer to the original.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I used to also drive the NJ turnpike when I worked at Newark airport, from Bethel, Pa (hwy 322/near Chester, PA), and a 2.5 hr commute to work (one way).  Non yanks have no idea how dangerous the deer population is in USA.

On topic:  Wouldn't mind 1 or 3 in the backyard here though, as long as 'tick free'.

Anyone wanting to see a bunch of 'free roaming' deer, Chumphon the place to go:

image.png.2c94fe9fad57c79cf0f7c854cf1b367d.png

I have some panoramic pictures I made from the Newark Airport.   From the top of the control tower, which is 400 or 450 foot tall. 

How big are those deer.   The only deer I have seen in south east asia was a Mouse Deer in Vietnam between Phu Cat and Quy Nhon.   A Vietnamese man had his own menagerie of animals in Vietnam.   He told me that many Vietnamese had never seen a Mouse Deer as it was nocturnal.   His English was really good.  Almost fluent. 

42 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Roos I know about, as get plenty of press.  "Roo guards" for your vehicles ... nuff said

Both quite the nuisance ... 

"About 1.5 million deer-car accidents happen every year. More than $1 billion in annual insured losses are due to damages caused by deer-car accidents. Deer-car accidents cause about 175 to 200 fatalities and 10,000 injuries annually. Feb 13, 2023"

My home state of PA making top 5 list for accidents with:

image.png.b308a69a714e12741deed3d0058aa909.png

I read about a man that hit a deer.  It flipped and went through his windshield feet first.  The deer then kicked the man to death!

• Like 1

Just now, radiochaser said:

I read about a man that hit a deer.  It flipped and went through his windshield feet first.  The deer then kicked the man to death!

Can happen, I know of someone who ended up with a wedge tailed eagle in the back seat, still very much alive and angry after coming through the windscreen. I had one almost enter my car the same way, but it veered away at the last split second. You learn to slow right down when you see eagles on roadkill ahead. They're slow to take off.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Morch said:

That's good. I don't hunt, and the couple of times I joined a hunt, didn't like it much. Seemed way unfair, and unnecessary.

Not many deers left in Upstate NY.

Me and my Lucky Stripes smoking , beer drinking and lout talking an joking, used to go out in the woods looking for deer to hunt.   We never even saw one.

We did get one on route6 with his chevy Cavalier though. . 

Edited by sirineou