Family friendly resort?

sambum

14 minutes ago, newnative said:

No. It's a dated description, more appropriate to small towns.  Pattaya has grown into a big city; Google just hasn't caught up.  Las Vegas also caters to tourists but I doubt anyone would call it a 'resort'.  Ditto for Orlando, nobody would refer to it as a resort.   Las Vegas is a big city.  And, like Pattaya with its nightlife, it has different areas beyond The Strip.

Pattaya: 100,000 population

Orlando: 2,000,000

Lost Wages:  3,000,000

Pattaya is a small town.  A small, family friendly resort town.  Just don't go out after 2:00 AM.  Most families know better.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, champers said:

It has lots of activities especially tailored for children. Your idea what it is is completely made up balderdash.

Agreed.  I already mentioned Centara and Centre Point Space.  Amari has built a whole new wing catering to families.

5 hours ago, newnative said:

Once again, as stated already by another member, Pattaya is not a 'resort'   When I saw your thread title, I thought it would be for resort recommendations.  You weren't asking, but I would recommend Centara in Wong Amat if you want a resort.  Very nice, and 'family friendly'.  Centre Point Space recently opened in North Pattaya and it is also geared toward families.  Pattaya is a big city.  Jomtien, Cosy Beach, South Pattaya, Wong Amat, Pratamnak, Naklua, The Darkside, etc., are all part of greater Pattaya. 

The bar/go-go adult entertainment areas are mainly in certain areas of center city Pattaya, which, again, is just another area of greater Pattaya.  Soi 6, for example, is just one block, easily avoided.  I, by the way, am a Pattaya resident, living on The Darkside with my spouse.  We are often in the center city area to shop, eat, or see a movie at one of the big malls.  At spots all over Pattaya, we can use one of the hospital choices, or find somethng we need at the good selection of big box retail avaiable in Pattaya, such as Index, Boonthavorn, Home Pro, Mega, Chic Republic, Big C Extra, etc..

As a big city, yes, there will be some crime.  I feel safer here than I did in the large American town I lived in.  As noted, a lot of the Pattaya crime seems to take place in the wee hours of the morning.  Each incident, and I don't think there have been that many for a big city, seems to be played up by Asean Now as a big news event.  Someone mugged and their cell phone stolen or gold chain snatched would likely not get even a mention by the news in any American city of similar size.  Here, it's always the headline on AN, which leaves the false mpression that crime is a big problem in Pattaya.  It's not. 

If you ever get to Pattaya again, maybe venture out a bit--there's a lot more to Pattaya than just the small areas you visited. You'll likely find out why your pal, who lives in the Jomtien area of Pattaya, in your words, 'loves it'.  He's just one of many.

"Pattaya is not a 'resort" 'Once again - another pedantic one! From Google:- 

"Pattaya is a popular Beach resort on the Gulf of Thailand, just 150 km southeast of Bangkok –a mere two-hour drive. Pattaya's pulsating NIGHTLIFE is well known, but  Local authorities have, in recent years, improved the quality of the beaches and reinvented the resort as a more family-friendly destination."

P.S.  "..... just the small areas you visited" You don't know which areas I visited!

21 hours ago, sambum said:

Why do the authorities persist in promoting Pattaya as a "Family Friendly" resort when it appears that 90% of all crimes against visitors to Thailand appear to be committed in this world renowned "Hub of Entertainment"?

Come on man before spitting the usual BS, give us at least some stats to support your theory

• Like 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Pattaya is a small town.  A small, family friendly resort town.  Just don't go out after 2:00 AM.  Most families know better.

According to Wikipedia, the municipality has a population of 119,000, while the city, what it calls Greater Pattaya, has a population of 329,000.  Not as big as the two US cities, but not a 'small town', either.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bbko said:

Beaches, movies, shopping malls, parks, water parks, Million stone park, crocodile farm, elephant parks, Noong Nuch garden, islands, those monthly events like firework shows/concerts/festivals, 1000's of restaurants, etc.

Beaches, are you joking? i wouldn't dare to put my little toe in the beach water at walking street. You know next to the wastewater discharge

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Good research, you of course googled that one. One thing your pseudo scientific approach doesn't consider is that residents in Pattaya are a multiplicator of your 100.000. Let us name tourists, the 50000 rfds etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vangrop said:

So one has to be intelligent to get your point. Shouldn't we call this pedantic?

The reply to my post came across as being rather pompous:- " Pattaya is a city not a resort." so I merely replied in kind. 

21 minutes ago, newnative said:

According to Wikipedia, the municipality has a population of 119,000, while the city, what it calls Greater Pattaya, has a population of 329,000.  Not as big as the two US cities, but not a 'small town', either.

8 minutes ago, vangrop said:

Good research, you of course googled that one. One thing your pseudo scientific approach doesn't consider is that residents in Pattaya are a multiplicator of your 100.000. Let us name tourists, the 50000 rfds etc.

I Bing searched all 3 cities, the same way.  And yea, I rounded... 

Disney World gets 150,000 visitors a day, and it's a "resort".  Yea, I rounded there, too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

I Bing searched all 3 cities, the same way.  And yea, I rounded... 

Disney World gets 150,000 visitors a day, and it's a "resort".  Yea, I rounded there, too.

You again miss the point. Most tourists here are not one day and the external workers are long term residents

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vangrop said:

You again miss the point. Most tourists here are not one day and the external workers are long term residents

I didn't miss the point, we just have a difference of opinion. 

To me, 100K (or 120K) population is a small town.  I also refer to it as a "resort" because the vast majority of the money that flows into Pattaya is made in the hospitality industry.  Hospitality dwarfs every other industry in Pattaya.

So I refer to it as a small resort town.

I don't like Pattaya generally and think it is a turd hole, but there are lots of great things for kids and some great resorts for kids.  Centara Grand Mirage is superb, the new Space hotel looks superb, Hard Rock as previously mentioned is great for families, the Amari is great for kids. The water parks - Ramayana and Aquaverse - are superb. 

Beaches are horrible, Walking Street is horrible, but lots of great family resorts that you can spend a long weekend at and not need to leave.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Pattaya is not a 'resort" 'Once again - another pedantic one! From Google:- 

"Pattaya is a popular Beach resort on the Gulf of Thailand, just 150 km southeast of Bangkok –a mere two-hour drive. Pattaya's pulsating NIGHTLIFE is well known, but  Local authorities have, in recent years, improved the quality of the beaches and reinvented the resort as a more family-friendly destination."

P.S.  "..... just the small areas you visited" You don't know which areas I visited!

When a tourist destination becomes big enough to have its own resorts, that destination has outgrown the designation of being a resort, itself.  That's the case with Pattaya, with greater Pattaya having a population of 329,000, according to Wikipedia.  That's a city, not a resort.  But, I think enough on that.  The topic is whether Pattaya is family friendly, or not.  I think most people who actually know greater Pattaya would say that it is.

No, I don't know which areas you visited, feel free to enlighten us.  But from your post, you left the impression that it was confined mostly to the entertainment areas.  It didn't sound like you had even gotten to Jomtien, where your 'pal' lives, and, apparently, 'loves it'.  I think if you had seen a lot of greater Pattaya, you would not have wondered if it was a family friendly resort.  You'd know it was. 

Did you get to the Centara Mirage Resort in Wong Amat?  Or, the nearby  Cape Dara?  Both cater to families.  How about Centre Point Space?  Did you check it out?  The Amari Hotel family wing?  Nong Nooch Gardens?  Underwater World?  How about the fairly new waterpark, Ramayana, or the new Columbia Pictures Aquaverse theme park?  All built with families in mind.   Sanctuary of Truth?  Terminal 21?  Both kid friendly.  Did you do any snorkeling or take any boat trips?  Also fun for older kids.  Ripley's Believe It or Not, did you get there?  Pattaya Dolphinarium?   If you make a return visit, maybe check some of these out, if you missed them on your first visit.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sambum said:

No stats needed - just look at AseaNow every day!

Exactly the point I made in my earlier post, which, from your clueless post above, proves my point better than I ever could.  What I said:

As a big city, yes, there will be some crime.  I feel safer here than I did in the large American town I lived in.  As noted, a lot of the Pattaya crime seems to take place in the wee hours of the morning.  Each incident, and I don't think there have been that many for a big city, seems to be played up by Asean Now as a big news event.  Someone mugged and their cell phone stolen or gold chain snatched would likely not get even a mention by the news in any American city of similar size.  Here, it's always the headline on AN, which leaves the false mpression that crime is a big problem in Pattaya.  It's not. 

Forget Asean Now, give us the actual stats that back up your claim that 90% of Thailand's crime is in Pattaya, not false impressions from AN.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Let me put it like this, I dont consider it to be a family resort either. A family resort caters for families, Pattaya caters for debauched alcoholics; no offence to these people. If that is what you like then enjoy it.

Maybe parts of Pattaya do cater for families, but that was the point of the heading of my post.

Pattaya has a certain reputation amongst most tourists, and it is NOT as a "Family Friendly" destination - there are plenty of better choices for family holidays. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Obviously never been. It's a great resort for kids. They have lots of pool activities and games during the day for kids. They have a foam party for kids on a Saturday afternoon. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Once again, don't misquote me! What part of "IMPLIES" do you not understand?

23 minutes ago, newnative said:

When a tourist destination becomes big enough to have its own resorts, that destination has outgrown the designation of being a resort, itself.  That's the case with Pattaya, with greater Pattaya having a population of 329,000, according to Wikipedia.  That's a city, not a resort.  But, I think enough on that.  The topic is whether Pattaya is family friendly, or not.  I think most people who actually know greater Pattaya would say that it is.

No, I don't know which areas you visited, feel free to enlighten us.  But from your post, you left the impression that it was confined mostly to the entertainment areas.  It didn't sound like you had even gotten to Jomtien, where your 'pal' lives, and, apparently, 'loves it'.  I think if you had seen a lot of greater Pattaya, you would not have wondered if it was a family friendly resort.  You'd know it was. 

Did you get to the Centara Mirage Resort in Wong Amat?  Or, the nearby  Cape Dara?  Both cater to families.  How about Centre Point Space?  Did you check it out?  The Amari Hotel family wing?  Nong Nooch Gardens?  Underwater World?  How about the fairly new waterpark, Ramayana, or the new Columbia Pictures Aquaverse theme park?  All built with families in mind.   Sanctuary of Truth?  Terminal 21?  Both kid friendly.  Did you do any snorkeling or take any boat trips?  Also fun for older kids.  Ripley's Believe It or Not, did you get there?  Pattaya Dolphinarium?   If you make a return visit, maybe check some of these out, if you missed them on your first visit.

I doubt if I will be making a return visit, and as I'm not a kid, I doubt if the places you mention would appeal to me much anyway!  :stoner:

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Pattaya is quite a large city and offers a variety of attractions and things to do, the entertainment zones along the beach and on Walking Street constitute a very small portion of the city. So I think a family could have a pretty good time, as long as they avoid those zones. 

And it seems a lot of the crime in Pattaya, is perpetrated in the Beach Road and Walking Street areas, and it would appear by the recent news that a good portion of that crime is perpetrated by the ladyboy community. 

So for most families it's probably a good idea to stay from Walking Street. 

Top comment! 

Just now, impulse said:

Yeah, but if you've got the family out for the annual holiday in Bangkok and want to get away to a beach for a few days, Pattaya has plenty to do and it's so darn convenient.  Just tell the folks back home you went to Jomtien and it'll be good.  Nobody will know where that is.

Stay away from a few obvious locations and don't let the kids out after midnight.

I also think Pattaya's reputation is worse here on AN because so many of the posters avail themselves to the debauchery.

I don't think Bangkok is particularly suited for family holidays either!

• Love It 1

20 hours ago, KannikaP said:

One beach is very much like any other, you get sand everywhere if you can get to it,

Movies?.....millions available on line, and after 90 minutes in a cold cinema?....

Parks...555, water parks are good for kids if not safe for them, after you have seen Million Stone Park and Nong Nooch, for which you will pay way over the top,

Crocodiles and elehpants........cruelty to animals,

Fireworks about twice a year adding to air pollution,

Shows, concerts...mostly deafening, festivals ie Song Kran and Loy Kratong, OK if you are a water-loving Buddhist,

You can only eat in restaurants a maximum of 3 times a day but spend HOURS deciding on which one to eat in, only to be possibly disappointed.

Stay at home, cook yourself, watch telly, put some sand on your lawn, get a pet croc or elephant, 

Have I been here too long or speak the truth?

Most of the above list you'd find in a lot of beach cities in America.  Substitute crocodiles with alligators when you hit Florida.  Apparently, none is attractive to you, but they are to lots of vacationers who find their way to tourist spots on the ocean every year.  When you start forgetting what a big attraction the ocean can be to the many who don't live that close to an ocean, then, yes, perhaps, you have 'been here too long'.

• Agree 2