Family friendly resort?

sambum

3 minutes ago, newnative said:

Most of the above list you'd find in a lot of beach cities in America.  Substitute crocodiles with alligators when you hit Florida.  Apparently, none is attractive to you, but they are to lots of vacationers who find their way to tourist spots on the ocean every year.  When you start forgetting what a big attraction the ocean can be to the many who don't live that close to an ocean, then, yes, perhaps, you have 'been here too long'.

Possibly, I never liked the seaside.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Stay at home, cook yourself, watch telly, put some sand on your lawn, get a pet croc or elephant, 

Have I been here too long or speak the truth?

One of the things I loved about Thailand (Bangkok, Kanchanburi, Jomtien, Songkhla were my favorite stomping grounds) is that I lived out in the community and only came home to shower (lots of showers in the heat), sleep, recharge, eat my street food, and plan my next move.  Totally unlike back home where I almost grew roots stuck to the sofa.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, sambum said:

I don't think Bangkok is particularly suited for family holidays either!

I get that.  It wouldn't be my first choice, either.  But spend enough time at Swampy and you'll see thousands of families with kids in tow, then see them out and around in Bangkok, explaining what those funny rubber plug looking things are, for sale on Sukhumvit.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Most hotels are called resorts, and they are catering for families. 

The best resorts in Pattaya, Thailand (booking.com)

Yes they are 'called' resorts even though they are simply hotels. Family friendly means they will put a spare bed in a double room.  How do you define family friendly?

I want one which is OAP friendly!   555

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, sambum said:

I doubt if I will be making a return visit, and as I'm not a kid, I doubt if the places you mention would appeal to me much anyway!  :stoner:

Actually, a lot of the list would appeal to adults.  My spouse and I have enjoyed Sanctuary and Nong Nooch--we've been to both several times or more.  We also liked Underwater World--I love aquariums.  Terminal 21 is a fun place for all ages.  Centara, Cape Dara, and Centre Point Space are all nice resorts to stay at, with or without kids.  And, of course the ocean activities; we've had wonderful half-day boat trips with snorkeling in the morning followed by a delicious seafood lunch with lots of different selections, eating on the boat, before the fun boat ride back to the port in Sattahip.  Also, overnight trips to nearby islands.   I didn't mention it, but there are a number of nice golf courses for golfers. 

45 minutes ago, newnative said:

Actually, a lot of the list would appeal to adults.  My spouse and I have enjoyed Sanctuary and Nong Nooch--we've been to both several times or more.  We also liked Underwater World--I love aquariums.  Terminal 21 is a fun place for all ages.  Centara, Cape Dara, and Centre Point Space are all nice resorts to stay at, with or without kids.  And, of course the ocean activities; we've had wonderful half-day boat trips with snorkeling in the morning followed by a delicious seafood lunch with lots of different selections, eating on the boat, before the fun boat ride back to the port in Sattahip.  Also, overnight trips to nearby islands.   I didn't mention it, but there are a number of nice golf courses for golfers. 

You still haven't sold me - I'm kicking on 80!

(P.S. Love your choice of words:- ".... we've been to both several times or more." :cheesy:

Edited by sambum

27 minutes ago, sambum said:

Or even QUELLE surprise if you want to be correct(Or pedantic!) :tongue:

Thank you.  Good to know.  How are you doing with finding any statistics supporting your claim that Pattaya is responsible for 90% of the crime in Thailand?  Any luck?  Now that I've given it some more thought, I'm not even sure Pattaya could be found to be responsible for 90% of the crimes deemed newsworthy by Asean Now, let alone all of Thailand.  Every now and then other cities slip in.   But, happy to be corrected.  

3 hours ago, sambum said:

You still haven't sold me - I'm kicking on 80!

(P.S. Love your choice of words:- ".... we've been to both several times or more." :cheesy:

70 is the new 80.  Get out there and live--and feel free to stop looking for those pesky statistics.

I have my wife and 2 boys and there's never a shortage of places to visit or things to do here in Pattaya. I'm sure if I was some cranky old single guy I'd be hating life or nit picking and finding the negative in everyday situations, but I'm not.  Others are free to feel/say what they want about Pattaya being a family friendly place, I'll keep doing what I do and leave the complaining to others. 

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yes they are 'called' resorts even though they are simply hotels. Family friendly means they will put a spare bed in a double room.  How do you define family friendly?

I want one which is OAP friendly!   555

I think resorts like Centara in Wong Amat, Cape Dara, and Centre Point Space offer more than regular hotels and certainly do more than put a 'spare bed in a double room'.   Centara, for example, right on the beach, has lots of water activities, including a wonderful 'lazy river'.  Plus, a very nice gym, sauna, steam rooms, kids play room, several swimming pools, water slides, playground, spa, beautiful grounds, restaurants, etc., all on a large property with a jungle theme.  I've focused on Centara because my spouse and I are there several times a week so we see the tourists enjoying the resort.  Likely not for you but popular, especially with families, and much more than just a 'simple hotel'.  

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Thank you.  Good to know.  How are you doing with finding any statistics supporting your claim that Pattaya is responsible for 90% of the crime in Thailand?  Any luck?  Now that I've given it some more thought, I'm not even sure Pattaya could be found to be responsible for 90% of the crimes deemed newsworthy by Asean Now, let alone all of Thailand.  Every now and then other cities slip in.   But, happy to be corrected.  

"How are you doing with finding any statistics supporting your claim that Pattaya is responsible for 90% of the crime in Thailand?"

Slander! I never claimed that! I quote the excerpt from my post to which I presume you are referring :- 

".....it appears that 90% of all crimes against visitors to Thailand appear to be committed in this world renowned "Hub of Entertainment"?

What part of "appear to be" do you appear to be having trouble with?

And I never said I was going to find any statistics supporting my "claim", so an apology would appear to be in order - hmm?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, newnative said:

70 is the new 80.  Get out there and live--and feel free to stop looking for those pesky statistics.

I am "out there and living" already thank you - I am quite happy with enjoying a few drinks 2 or 3 times a week, and go out for a meal with my Thai wife quite regularly - in fact, she is the one who wants to stay in more - but I don't see that that is any concern of yours.

And where do you get the impression that I am looking for "those pesky statistics"?  I am merely making  my assumptions on the number of times that Pattaya crime figures in the headlines on AseaNow - and even you state that "even other cities creep in now and then" (Would that be about 10%?)

Anyway, enough of this bickering, I'm going to have a glass of wine - have a nice evening/morning with your person of choice!

I just don't get it I've been to Pattaya many times, 17 times from memory, I never been robbed never had any problems with ladyboys never been threatened never had bad experiences with hotels. But when I lived in Ratchaburi I have been threatened with a gun, had my homestay burned down got broken into my factory twice which never made the news. So why are you guys constantly complaining about Pattaya? I do realize the roads are not the best or the sidewalks but not only in Pattaya, and yes Pattaya does have many things for families to enjoy. Just don't go out late at night which I would not do in any city or resort in the world. Stop picking on just one city.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, newnative said:

Thank you.  Good to know.  How are you doing with finding any statistics supporting your claim that Pattaya is responsible for 90% of the crime in Thailand? 

Agreed, truly nonsense........

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/11/2023 at 8:41 PM, bignok said:

Pattaya is a city not a resort. 

14 hours ago, bignok said:

Some lazy journalists call Phuket a resort. It's an island with thousands of hotels and resorts.

What is the exact meaning of resort:

'a place designed to provide recreation, entertainment, and accommodation especially to vacationers; a community or establishment whose purpose or main industry is catering to vacationers'. 

Resort Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sambum said:

I am "out there and living" already thank you - I am quite happy with enjoying a few drinks 2 or 3 times a week, and go out for a meal with my Thai wife quite regularly - in fact, she is the one who wants to stay in more - but I don't see that that is any concern of yours.

And where do you get the impression that I am looking for "those pesky statistics"?  I am merely making  my assumptions on the number of times that Pattaya crime figures in the headlines on AseaNow - and even you state that "even other cities creep in now and then" (Would that be about 10%?)

Anyway, enough of this bickering, I'm going to have a glass of wine - have a nice evening/morning with your person of choice!

Well, in a later post I left you off the hook in locating those pesky statistics.  It would have been a futile search, as there would be no statistics to support such a ridiculous claim.   Also ridiculous, making your 'assumptions' in such a way as that--which you once again describe, hilariously, in your above post.  I read the Bangkok Post now and then and it doesn't mention crime in Pattaya very often at all.  Should I then make the 'assumption', pulling figures out of thin air like you, that crime in Pattaya is only, say, 1% of Thailand's crime, based on the Bangkok Post, and 99% happens elsewhere?  Enjoy your day.

8 hours ago, sambum said:

"How are you doing with finding any statistics supporting your claim that Pattaya is responsible for 90% of the crime in Thailand?"

Slander! I never claimed that! I quote the excerpt from my post to which I presume you are referring :- 

".....it appears that 90% of all crimes against visitors to Thailand appear to be committed in this world renowned "Hub of Entertainment"?

What part of "appear to be" do you appear to be having trouble with?

And I never said I was going to find any statistics supporting my "claim", so an apology would appear to be in order - hmm?

Wow!  It 'appears to be' that someone is doing some fancy backpedalling!  Nice try but it's not fooling anyone.  Your meaning was quite clear.  Of course, you didn't say you would find any statistics.  Who would?  It was me asking you to produce them.   If an apology is in order, it would be from you, to the residents of Pattaya.  There's the slander.  In any case, I think my previous post covers all I want to say.   

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Wow!  It 'appears to be' that someone is doing some fancy backpedalling!  Nice try but it's not fooling anyone.  Your meaning was quite clear.  Of course, you didn't say you would find any statistics.  Who would?  It was me asking you to produce them.   If an apology is in order, it would be from you, to the residents of Pattaya.  There's the slander.  In any case, I think my previous post covers all I want to say.   

Do you think I'm a mind reader? The first mention of statistics was you asking me how I was getting on with finding them! And then you say you "let me off the hook"? I am so grateful for that, really! :sleepy: 

As I said in my last post I am fed up of all this bickering, and I do so hope that your previous post covers all you want to say, because I have also heard enough of what you want to say - can this be the end of it?  

On 11/11/2023 at 8:50 PM, sambum said:

"Hard Rock" is not a name that implies a "family friendly" hotel to me!!! More like a "Hairy Bikers" meets "Hells Angels" meets "70's music aficionados" type of establishment!!!

You obviously haven't stayed there.  Hard Rock Hotel is fantastic for kids.  We'll be back there in January.

• Agree 2

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

You obviously haven't stayed there.  Hard Rock Hotel is fantastic for kids.  We'll be back there in January.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You are quite correct in assuming that I haven't stayed there! I merely said

that "Hard Rock" is not a name that implies a "family friendly" hotel to me!!! 

18 hours ago, impulse said:

One of the things I loved about Thailand (Bangkok, Kanchanburi, Jomtien, Songkhla were my favorite stomping grounds) is that I lived out in the community and only came home to shower (lots of showers in the heat), sleep, recharge, eat my street food, and plan my next move.  Totally unlike back home where I almost grew roots stuck to the sofa.

that gets expensive quickly if you do it every day. almost everywhere you go you need to buy something to hang out and relax, especially when i lived in bangkok.

that's why i spend a bit more for a nice living space so i don't need to leave so often. a lot of thailand you need to buy something even to just sit down.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1