CAn Foreigner get Tax number and do first ever return online , if not how please?

31 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Local tax offices should be your first port of call. Doubtful it can be done online.

Correct. From previous threads on simply obtaining a TIN (and not inspired by this tax panic), it appears that Revenue Department offices that are familiar with processing either foreign workers or those that are retired or married and only require one to satisfy their overseas bank, are easier to deal with. My experience a few months back in Udon Thani started well with everyone saying 'can' until I got passed to the woman-in-charge who decided I needed to file a Thai tax return FIRST with all the evidence needed to support it such as bank statements and only AFTER paying any tax owed, she would give me the TIN. Manwhile, threads have reported of it taking less than an hour at (say) a Pattaya RD office with no faff and no need to pay anything (yet).

On 11/13/2023 at 2:05 PM, The Cyclist said:

As of today, it is effective as of the 01 Jan 2024.

It is not legislation that is being changed, only the interpretation of the legislation. Whoch are 2 different things.

Sure, it might well be delayed, but the sensible thing would be to work on the 01 Jan 2024 and treat any delay as a bonus.

According to a post on one of the other threads this has now been deferred by 1 year. i.e. Funds earned in 2023 can now be brought into Thailand in 2024 without tax liability.

Can anyone else confirm this as I intend moving some cash from an off-shore investment into a bank a/c outside Thailand and then into Thailand in Jan 2024?

12 minutes ago, RupertIII said:

According to a post on one of the other threads this has now been deferred by 1 year.

Unless the post was made by the Thai Government or the head of the RD, I wouldn't place a lot of faith in that post.

If you are not a resident of Thailand for tax purposes, it will not ( or should not ) be liable for Thai tax anyway.

54 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

Unless the post was made by the Thai Government or the head of the RD, I wouldn't place a lot of faith in that post.

If you are not a resident of Thailand for tax purposes, it will not ( or should not ) be liable for Thai tax anyway.

Thanks Cyclist. There has been so much on different threads it is becoming difficult know what is fact and what is wishful thinking or fear mongering at times.

I have found the link to the other thread - https://aseannow.com/topic/1311285-change-in-the-tax-law-does-target-expats-living-in-thailand-and-extends-reporting-obligations/page/19/

which reads, at the start, An article in yesterday's Prachachart Thurakit suggests the RD is starting to walk this back a bit but not giving up on it https://www.prachachat.net/finance/news-1432180?fbclid=IwAR0FtCbDVifNc-atDT8uHGklrCLP5PNOva3VrsaHFX9W_kjEm-bKQBnqEKc .  It sounds like they are planning to exempt all foreign source income earned before 1 January 2024.

The link also provides a Google translation of the Prachachart Thurakit article which would appear to confirm as does the MS Word translation below and also My Thai wife's reading of it.  However, as you point out it is not directly from either the Government or the RD. My wife will be speaking to the accounts lady from our previous company but I rather suspect she is none the wiser!

readsStart charging from 2024

However, the latest A report from the Revenue Department has concluded that in the first phase, it will be relieved in the case of income generated abroad before 2024, which, if not imported within the same tax year as the year in which the income was generated, will not be subject to audits as it will be difficult to find evidence.

"   Income born before 2024  will use the old rule, that is, if it is not imported in the same tax year, the department will not collect it.

In the future, Section 41  of the Revenue Code will be amended to charge tax in the year in which income occurs abroad immediately. Whether or not the money is brought into the country. however It could take 1-2 years to amend the law."

Edited by RupertIII

2 hours ago, RupertIII said:

Thanks Cyclist. There has been so much on different threads it is becoming difficult know what is fact and what is wishful thinking or fear mongering at times.

I have found the link to the other thread

I would only trust what comes direct from the Thai Government or direct from the RD.

I would trust very little that is posted on internet forums, in the press or tax experts. They know no more ( at this stage ) than anyone else.

As an example

2 hours ago, RupertIII said:

however It could take 1-2 years to amend the law."

It is my understanding ( and I could be wrong ) that no laws need amending as the Law isn't changing, only the interpretation of the Law / Rule is changing.

What could possibly happen is that Thais with lots of money, and could be hit with mountains of tax, could mount a legal challenge, which could tie up the implementation for a few years as it goes through the legal process.

My opinion only and not based on any fact.

The only facts that I am working on right now are

1. Something is changing on the 01 Jan 2024 - How it will effect me, at this stage I do not know ( and neither does Nyone else.

2. On the 01 Jan I will have a hangover from hell.

Any other facts that surface between today and the 01 Jan 2024, I will have a look at them, and decide what I need to do in light of that new fact.