I Like The Friendship Store Because...

Weho

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG I cant believe we've lived here for so long without knowing about the basement at Friendship. What an incredible place. Far better prices than anywhere else I have tried, and I have tried everywhere.

I did wonder what all the fuss is about, having read this thread several times, well, now I know. Many places say they are the 'hidden jewel' of where ever, well Friendship really is.

I had to ask three people (employees) before actually finding the entrance. It is not marked at all. And no-one asked for ID, maybe because we are 'farang'.

That is it now, goodbye Carrefour, Foodland, Tesco, BigC, Boots and Fascino. Friendship truly is a one stop shop. And how nice to be given a free cool drink. I had no idea that they stayed open 24 hours, guess they are copying Foodland. It certainly worked with me.

I like Friendship (aka Fiendship!) and it is very close to my home. But I am pissed off with them at the moment as they have decided not to stock Cheers beer due (to quote one of the owners) to slow sales.

I heard that Chang is for 'cheap charlies'.

What's does cheap charlie mean?

Kee nok falang

I've been doing all my shopping at Foodland until I popped into Friendship last week. It was a nice change and I found some very nice "7-grain" bread there...and some other imported items I couldn't find at Foodland.

I didn't even know they had a second floor!

its an ok place to shop, just way paeng than bigc, i only get my coffee there (feta cheese now? :-)

im no longer eating thai food 3x a day due to health (salts) issue. so i am going to tops for my porridge and like bigc for cheap veggies.

whats so special about the basement, id never seen it?

btw: it has the cheapest whisky in town.

Just came back from another trip to the main floor of Friendship. 3 small bags of groceries and 14 baht short of a 3,000b total bill (lots of meat and cheeses).

Of course, soon as I got home I started remembering the various things I forgot and will have to return for. I did notice that their selection of salad dressings is a little depleted, but then remembered I prefer rabbits, not rabbit food, so no big deal.

Didn't have time to visit the other floors or the Member's Only annex at the rear, but there's always tomorrow (or later tonight if the mood is right). :o

• 2 years later...

UPDATE: December 17th 2009

Today, at Midday, Friendship opened their grand Christmas and New Year gift giveaway. (Held every year from Dec 17th while stocks last).

Simply present your receipt after purchase of goods at the gift table and receive your free gift(s).

100-300 baht: Free pens

300-500 baht: Free glasses (tumblers, not specs)

500 baht + a variety of gifts from, kitchenware, calendars, notebooks, plastic storage containers etc. etc.

What goes on in the bloody basement!##)$@|#+_)!!

Basement? What basement? I've been going in there every couple of days for 5 years and never noticed it :) ..............what's down there..........and where is it, (the entrance I mean before some wise guy tells me it's downstairs!! :D ) ???

I often shop at Friendship, and for sure it has some great stuff in it, but I loathe the shopping experience there and here's why:

1. I didn't like it when they enforced their parking charges and have seen many annoyed punters going back into the shop as they didn't understand that you need your ticket stamped in order to leave. I understand why they did this (mostly because of market day parking) but I viewed it as a hostile act, and I still don't like it or the upgraded and unfriendly security it engendered.

2. Outside there are enough security guards/parking guys to wage a small war with Belgium. I don't like their unfriendly attiude when they are "helping" you park.

3. I really object to being asked to hand over my small rucksack (which contains cash and cards and other stuff I am using during the day for business) every time I go in, only to have to refuse to do so unless they give ME a 10,000 baht deposit (which they haven't yet done).

4. Perhap it's just that I look like serial shoplifter, but I also object to being sureptitiously (but blatantly) followed around the aisles upstairs by a uniformed security guy. Dependng what mood i am in I do enjoy giving him the slip then sneaking up on him from behind as he frantically peers around for me. He sh*ts himself.

Friendship? Unfriendship more like. (Or is that just me?)

I often shop at Friendship, and for sure it has some great stuff in it, but I loathe the shopping experience there and here's why:

1. I didn't like it when they enforced their parking charges and have seen many annoyed punters going back into the shop as they didn't understand that you need your ticket stamped in order to leave. I understand why they did this (mostly because of market day parking) but I viewed it as a hostile act, and I still don't like it or the upgraded and unfriendly security it engendered.

2. Outside there are enough security guards/parking guys to wage a small war with Belgium. I don't like their unfriendly attiude when they are "helping" you park.

3. I really object to being asked to hand over my small rucksack (which contains cash and cards and other stuff I am using during the day for business) every time I go in, only to have to refuse to do so unless they give ME a 10,000 baht deposit (which they haven't yet done).

4. Perhap it's just that I look like serial shoplifter, but I also object to being sureptitiously (but blatantly) followed around the aisles upstairs by a uniformed security guy. Dependng what mood i am in I do enjoy giving him the slip then sneaking up on him from behind as he frantically peers around for me. He sh*ts himself.

Friendship? Unfriendship more like. (Or is that just me?)

Point 1, I cannot comment on. I don't drive there.

Point 2, That is nothing.

Point 3, I have never had a problem with theft from left bags in 9 years.

Point 4, I am baffled by that point, although I do see Security guards patrolling they don't seem interested at all, especially as you have handed your bags in?

I was once followed out of Friendship by a green snake slithering accross the carpark. The snake was the slitherer.

I now think the slight damp in the basement may encourage breeding.

While I am here - and please don't all rush at once - but they do have a fine collection of those golden glittery cats with the waving arm, upstairs in the just too wonderful gift department. :) .

i wish they would impose parking charges at Tops Pattaya Klang/2nd road for non shoppers

the car parks always full when Tops is empty.......

Well I decided to check out the basement this afternoon.. Wow, I can't believe I never knew about it.. Its really good.. Definately recommend checking it out... I wasnt asked for my passport, though..

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON IN FRIENDSHIP'S BASEMENT?? WHAT DO THEY SELL THERE?? AND, WHERE'S THE ENTRANCE??

But have you gone and LOOKED yourself? This "don't believe" or "haven't heard of it before" attitude means that you miss out on a whole lotta other things in life and maybe not just the FS basement either.

Agreed, but I remain skeptical. Of course I haven't looked. Never heard of it before this thread. Why would I seek hidden trap doors in retail establishments? I haven't been in the basement of my condo either. I have heard what is down there though, smell and insects, so I won't be going. Why the reluctance to desribe what is down there? I also haven't looked for the basement at Carrefour, have you?

Edited by Jingthing

But have you gone and LOOKED yourself? This "don't believe" or "haven't heard of it before" attitude means that you miss out on a whole lotta other things in life and maybe not just the FS basement either.

Agreed, but I remain skeptical. Of course I haven't looked. Never heard of it before this thread. Why would I seek hidden trap doors in retail establishments? I haven't been in the basement of my condo either. I have heard what is down there though, smell and insects, so I won't be going. Why the reluctance to desribe what is down there? I also haven't looked for the basement at Carrefour, have you?

It would be odd if Carrefour had a basement. It's on the second floor.

It would be odd if Carrefour had a basement. It's on the second floor.

The building. Duh.

Again, IF this is for real, what is so special about the basement at Friendship? What is this, some kind of secret society? Have you sworn to never tell? This is getting BIZARRE.

How do I know this isn't some kind of Jingthing trap? I ask about the basement and out pops the Glitterman and a pack of Brazilian paparazzi. Paranoid? You better believe it.

Edited by Jingthing