Crazy biker maneuvers or habits you see in Thailand

scubascuba3

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

Ive driven all over Thailand. Cutting people off without looking is stupid not culture.

But it is their culture, that's the thing. I'm not saying I agree with it but they wouldn't do it so often if it wasn't. As a driver I expect this to happen every day. My heart rate doesn't rise anymore for everyday occurrences like this. It's normal. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

If you are constantly being undertaken on the inside that suggests that it is you that is in the wrong lane... move over to the slower lane.

What? I was not talking about cars that undertake. I was talking about motorbike riders that do in the spillover lane. Was that so hard to imagine?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Last Friday out cycling I heard a siren in the distance while I was stopped at an intersection. Waited for the vehicle police or ambulance or fire to pass ... then the source appeared.

An aged Honda Wave motorbike sped past, helmetless rider carrying a fishing rod, rear tail light and registration plate replaced with a set of blue/red flashing lights, siren screaming.

Must  have heard the fishing was good below the dam west of here. A genuine emergency.

#2 a long time ago, when we lived in Sa Kaeo there was a trend to have both handlebar mirrors facing forward so at night they reflected oncoming traffic headlights back ... no idea why someone thought this was a good idea.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Simply out. They actually have no clue about traffic rules at all. Just check out the poor material and the little to no things you have to pass to be granted a driving license. It speaks volumes of stupidity. After that, they try to say they patrol the streets and set up checkpoints to make it safer. The only thing they do, is to put more people on the roads that can easily be wiped out.

Who,s they? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Cutting off cars

At an intersection the bike stops on the right side of your car and then cuts right in front of you to get in the left lane instead of stopping in the left lane and proceeding safely.  The fools who do this generally pull out at a snails pace.  I'm guilty of doing this myself, but he difference is that I can out-accelerate every stopped car, put distance between myself the them, and then drift to the left not cutting off anyone.

24 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No, not legal. They made people think that, by not doing anything about it.

Passing in the left lane is legal unless you have access to a statute that says it isn't. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

If you are constantly being undertaken on the inside that suggests that it is you that is in the wrong lane... move over to the slower lane.

Vehicle in the front has the right of way. Coming up behind a vehicle and expecting them to yield to you is not only erroneous but stupid. 

• Agree 1

I had a very heated argument  with   Bike rider & insurance who, like all of them, over take on the left of   moving cars, we had a collision, my insurance were called  and I was told I was to  blame as motorbike riders in Thailand are always told to keep to the left no exception as to overtaking, or not... An unanswered complaint stating the highway code was made to my insurance

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

This is turning into a thai bashing thread.

Thais are stupid, too easy to get a licence, police are useless etc etc.

But what about the farangs who come here, buy big bikes and endanger lives by speeding around at 280kpm?? 

How dangerous, selfish and reckless is that?

And brag about it on Facebook.

i have covered the name for privacy reasons but this is a Aseannow member's post on FB. Other photos reveal beer "pitstops" on his tours.

image.png.29b6e6e32b764242b782c8f8b5cb233b.png 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Goat said:

But what about the farangs who come here, buy big bikes and endanger lives by speeding around at 280kpm?? 

A little out of perspective and missing the point.

There have been several threads about the foreigners in South Pattaya causing havoc and at least one falang pulling wheelies etc. All condemed.

That doesn't take away from the fact that the vast majority of the locals are dangerous on 2 wheels.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Goat said:

How dangerous, selfish and reckless is that?

And brag about it on Facebook.

i have covered the name for privacy reasons but this is a Aseannow member's post on FB. Other photos reveal beer "pitstops" on his tours.

No, not turning into a Thai basing thread at all. You have found one example of a foreigner. I agree, that it a big moron and a really stupid thing to do. Of course there are foreigners that can´t behave as well and are dangerous drivers. However, that might be 1 or 2 per year that one might meet. Regarding Thai drivers, never mind motorbike nor car, there are almost more dangerous drivers in one way or another then people that actually can drive and are following traffic laws and rules.

48 minutes ago, Olmate said:

them Thais you mean! 

I don´t know what you are on about??? Yes, I mean mostly Thais in traffic as they are most common, but there are foreigners that are doing the same.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Passing in the left lane is legal unless you have access to a statute that says it isn't. 

You´re a funny guy! Actually, your comment is so stupid, that it would be you that needed proof for your statement. However, I will give you what you ask for.
Below, I have also attached the full translation of Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979)

What you should care about is Section 45. As your knowledge of the traffic laws in Thailand is so poor, I would suggest you read it all.

Section 45. No driver shall overtake other conveyance by the left side of the overtaken conveyance, except in the following cases: (1) the conveyance which is going to be overtaken is turning right, or gives right turning signal; (2) such road is divided into two or more lanes of the same direction. The overtaking by the left side of the overtaken conveyance under (1) or (2) may be done only when there is no other conveyance following behind.

So, how did it go now Neal? Are you going to be quiet or post a confirmation that you will read the full law? 

Road_Traffic_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Constantly undertake on the inside instead of overtake on the outside.

To be fair, have to be aware of that. If you are driving a motor car in the left hand lane within the speed limit moto's will overtake you using the hard shoulder/breakdown lane. Becomes most dangerous when you need to make a left hand turn.

9 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

To be fair, have to be aware of that. If you are driving a motor car in the left hand lane within the speed limit moto's will overtake you using the hard shoulder/breakdown lane. Becomes most dangerous when you need to make a left hand turn.

Yes, because of so many drivers are breaking Section 45 in the traffic law, it is unfortunately necessary to look for such idiots.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, bbko said:

This thread reminds me I need to install a dashcam on my motorbike, and install a rear view dash cam in my car.

So do you have a front view dash in your car? What I don't understand about my rearview one is why it shows a mirrored view. Can't find that now but the front one is fantastic. The driver of this car told me it was me over the line, :cheesy::cheesy: 

stevedashcam.jpg.fa8579a5e6930ae63b658af376765286.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, because of so many driver are breaking Section 45 in the traffic law, it is unfortunately necessary to look for such idiots.

Agree entirely. My Thai neice was making a left hand turn in her car when a moto undertook her. Although she was not responsible, police ordered her to pay for hospital treatment, compensation for injuries and repair of the moto. Plus, of course, she had to pay for repair of her car.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Agree entirely. My Thai neice was making a left hand turn in her car when a moto undertook her. Although she was not responsible, police ordered her to pay for hospital treatment, compensation for injuries and repair of the moto. Plus, of course, she had to pay for repair of her car.

That's why I pay 6k a year for #2 insurance. And now have dash cam front and rear.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I think he was referring to the slow lane all along.

They overtake you within that metre or two space to the left of you.

Doesn't happen every day but it does once in a while.

1 hour ago, actonion said:

I had a very heated argument  with   Bike rider & insurance who, like all of them, over take on the left of   moving cars, we had a collision, my insurance were called  and I was told I was to  blame as motorbike riders in Thailand are always told to keep to the left no exception as to overtaking, or not... An unanswered complaint stating the highway code was made to my insurance

I gather your insurance had to pay in the final reckoning? I understand that the hard shoulder/breakdown lane is regarded as a separate running lane for motos. To turn left in your car you have to cross a continuous white line. That seems to be the 'bone of contention'.

31 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Oh, sad to hear. The thing is, that the police can say what they want. I have done it too. And they tried with me as usual, as they have a kindness kind a used rule, not law, that if you hurt someone it a common gesture to pay for hospital and repair. I just said no, and said I take it to court, as I know the law. As I had the video, they just reversed and clutched in the backpedal. I got my repairs paid instead.