Complaint of Teacher Physically Punishing Second-Grader in Prachinburi, Thailand

webfact

1665834.jpg

In Prachinburi province, a widely-followed Facebook page published a post alleging that a teacher physically punished a second-grade student, causing swelling on the student's head. The incident reportedly occurred in the Nonthree area of Kabinburi district.

A recent incident garnered attention on social media on November 13th, involving allegations against a teacher for physically reprimanding a young student. Posts and images circulated online, showing a female student who allegedly suffered repeated blows to her head, inflicted with a hand adorned with a ring, reported 77kaoded.

710326.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

The severity of this particular episode, which led to the student experiencing significant discomfort, marked it as a catalyst for legal proceedings, backed by a doctor's certification.

Media personnel visited the young girl, identified as Khao Tang, at her residence in the Nonthree locality. Accompanied by her grandmother, Khao Tang recounted the incident that occurred when she failed to complete her homework. She alleged that her teacher not only hit her head but also forcefully shook it.

The family, deeply aggrieved, filed an official complaint at the local Kabinburi police department. They have since prohibited Khao Tang from attending school, intent on seeking justice.

Subsequently, educational authorities, including the school's principal and the implicated teacher, faced an inquiry led by the Prachinburi District Primary Education Office. The teacher confessed to a minor tap on the student's head, but vehemently denied any harsh intent. In a reconciliatory move, the teacher offered a financial contribution and gifts to the student at her home.

1665841.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Although the school initiated talks about monetary reparation with the family, these discussions have yet to yield a resolution.

The District Education Officer emphasized that an investigation was ongoing. Should the teacher be deemed culpable of professional misconduct, disciplinary measures would be enforced.

This case has brought to light the broader concern regarding corporal punishment in educational settings, underscoring the urgency for a detailed probe to ascertain the truth behind the allegations.

Top Picture: 77kaoded

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-11-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

teachers have no right to hit kids as a punishment. i have seen this many times in my career teaching here. however, much of the blame needs to be imparted on the administrators of the schools who offer NO support to the teachers. the headmasters are too busy finding ways to enrich themselves rather than do their jobs of taking care of the teachers and the kids. in canada their are clear discipline policies implemented in the schools.

first question i ask when applying for a job is ' do you have a discipline code?" answer: NO

second question 'do you support your teachers with problem students?' answer: of course

total BS system here

Edited by Pouatchee

3 hours ago, webfact said:

but vehemently denied any harsh intent. In a reconciliatory move, the teacher offered a financial contribution and gifts to the student at her home.

Being hit by some big teacher they don't realize the force on a small child, and she admits to punishing other kids and they improved Jeez, why not try to TEACH and help the child understand.

She should get criminal proceedings, but she'll pay her way out, the Thai way $$$$$$$$$$ 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, 2baht said:

Seems to be a regular occurence, cultural I guess!

It is. Two cases this week, and it's only Tuesday. And, as usual, no mention of the police. Didn't even report it to them it seems, knowing that would be a waste of time, so put it on FB instead to get a reaction.

• Agree 1

What kind of teacher hits a student on the head? And repeatedly, apparently? Madness.
Do the same to this teacher a few times (the parents of the girl involved would want to volunteer, I guess) and I’m sure the hitting will stop right away. Sometimes the age-old concept of ‘an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth’ works wonders. Teachers like this are usually cowards who need to be taken down a peg or two. 

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

What kind of teacher hits a student on the head? And repeatedly, apparently? Madness.
Do the same to this teacher a few times (the parents of the girl involved would want to volunteer, I guess) and I’m sure the hitting will stop right away. Sometimes the age-old concept of ‘an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth’ works wonders. Teachers like this are usually cowards who need to be taken down a peg or two. 

Yet they all demand "respect".

Not all teachers are the same, but there are a lot of rotten apples in a very big barrel.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Subsequently, educational authorities, including the school's principal and the implicated teacher, faced an inquiry led by the Prachinburi District Primary Education Office. The teacher confessed to a minor tap on the student's head, but vehemently denied any harsh intent. In a reconciliatory move, the teacher offered a financial contribution and gifts to the student at her home.

Whitewash.

20 hours ago, 2baht said:

Seems to be a regular occurence, cultural I guess!

Tin pot gods all sat around a table in god-awful uniforms covered in gold braid and badges..

says everything that is wrong with the teaching profession.

• Love It 1

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It is. Two cases this week, and it's only Tuesday. And, as usual, no mention of the police. Didn't even report it to them it seems, knowing that would be a waste of time, so put it on FB instead to get a reaction.

Try reading the op properly, a police report was filed by the parents.

• Thanks 2