Biden calls for protection of al-Shifa hospital

CharlieH

image.png

Hundreds of patients, including dozens of babies, remain trapped inside Gaza’s largest hospital as Israeli troops and Hamas militants take part in heavy fighting outside it. What is happening there and why?

Where is al-Shifa hospital and how important is it to healthcare in Gaza?

The Dar al-Shifa (House of Healing) hospital is a sprawling complex of medical facilities in Gaza City, in the north of Gaza. Located about 500 metres from the coast and a major north-south road, it comprises a group of six-storey buildings that dominate the skyline. With between 600 and 900 beds and thousands of staff, it was the mainstay of healthcare provision locally, with a range of services that few of the other hospitals in Gaza could offer. Since the beginning of the war in Gaza, it has become a shelter for those displaced by the fighting and continuing Israeli bombardment.

What are the competing claims about Hamas operations there?

Israel claims that Hamas has built its headquarters in bunkers and tunnels under the hospital, effectively using the building, patients and staff as a human shield. Security officials have also said that, after the surprise attacks into Israel by Hamas which killed 1,200 Israelis, mainly civilians in their homes or at a dance party, the senior Hamas leaders have been based in a “command complex” under the hospital.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

After all the evidence presented today that Rantisi Hospital was a base for terrorist operations, US President Joe Biden comes out with a statement demanding that Shifa Hospital be a “protected zone.”

Is he trying to protect Hamas?!

He also clearly doesn’t know the Geneva Conventions. The moment a protected facility is used for hostile activities, it loses protected status.

• Like 2

Biden must think everyone is a gullible fool to believe that!

If Biden actually wanted the attacks on the hospital to cease, he is probably the only man on that planet that can make the israelis stop attacking it, but all he does is make silly statements for the media to repeat.

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Biden must think everyone is a gullible fool to believe that!

If Biden actually wanted the attacks on the hospital to cease, he is probably the only man on that planet that can make the israelis stop attacking it, but all he does is make silly statements for the media to repeat.

Unlike @thaibeachlovers, Biden is not blinkered as to what Hamas is about, and what it does.

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Biden only cares about votes and oil in the Middle East.

Interesting post you quoted which claimed that I am blinkered about what Hamas is about, and what it does.

Somewhat surprising to myself given I don't recall making any declaration of what Hamas is about, and what it does, other than being the resistance to israeli illegal occupation and oppression.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently the israelis have installed facial recognition cameras in the hospital, no doubt to discover the non existent Hamas fighters that had a "command center" ( which took them several hours to find, despite having all that US intelligence to know where to look ) in the basement.

As far as the premature babies are concerned, seems they were left to continue dying, along with all the Palestinian wounded.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Apparently the israelis have installed facial recognition cameras in the hospital, no doubt to discover the non existent Hamas fighters that had a "command center" ( which took them several hours to find, despite having all that US intelligence to know where to look ) in the basement.

As far as the premature babies are concerned, seems they were left to continue dying, along with all the Palestinian wounded.

I avoid reading the news. It makes me sick to my stomach. 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

@thaibeachlovers

Apparently you have a wild imagination. They brought in a portable device, scanned all men over 16. There were arms found in the hospital.

As for the rest - the IDF did not search the entire hospital, and from the MO I think it's safe to say they were

(a) making sure the area was clear and securing it

(b) getting on the ground intel

(c) supplying medical stuff

(d) mapping the buildings etc.

I'm pretty sure they'll return soon, with more specialized tools and engineering equipment.

There were several links detailing how the IDF deals with underground facilities, tunnels - it's a slow process meant to avoid casualties:

(a) unearthing piers.

(b) checking for initial explosives, mines, traps.

(c) in goes a remote control robot.

(d) where applicable, a trained canine follows.

(e) tiny drones with cams do initial mapping.

(f) fighting troops clear and secure.

(g) specialized troops and units survey area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2023 at 2:46 PM, coolcarer said:

You are much more than blinkered, you are an active Hamas apologist. Your post here calling them a reisistance is testimony to that. They are a cowardly mini army of murderous terrorists.

and you are an active apologist for the israeli cowards that have shelled and bombed thousands of people, men women and children, to death while safe from any retaliation.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Seems netanyahu doesn't care what Biden says, given Al Shifa is devoid of patients bar the few that couldn't be moved, assuming they are still alive. Doesn't seem the israelis are providing any medical support. They did take some incubators in for the prem babies, but as there was no electricity or oxygen in the hospital it can only have been a publicity stunt.

As for the so called "proof" that the hospital was the "nerve center" of Hamas, it was IMO so pathetically faked that no serious person believes it.

Of course now that the Palestinians have been evicted to be bombed to death in southern Gaza, we may be seeing images of the "command center" that they couldn't find for days, despite looking everywhere. As usual, I doubt that any independent organisation will be allowed to inspect the "evidence".

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and you are an active apologist for the israeli cowards that have shelled and bombed thousands of people, men women and children, to death while safe from any retaliation.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems netanyahu doesn't care what Biden says, given Al Shifa is devoid of patients bar the few that couldn't be moved, assuming they are still alive. Doesn't seem the israelis are providing any medical support. They did take some incubators in for the prem babies, but as there was no electricity or oxygen in the hospital it can only have been a publicity stunt.

As for the so called "proof" that the hospital was the "nerve center" of Hamas, it was IMO so pathetically faked that no serious person believes it.

Of course now that the Palestinians have been evicted to be bombed to death in southern Gaza, we may be seeing images of the "command center" that they couldn't find for days, despite looking everywhere. As usual, I doubt that any independent organisation will be allowed to inspect the "evidence".

LOL you’ve been drinking too much Al Jizz cool aid the last week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

@thaibeachlovers

How do you mean 'no retaliation'? Rockets still launched from the Gaza Strip at Israel, over 60 IDF killed in the fighting so far.

I get it that you parrot AJ/Hamas propaganda on a loop, but I don't expect you actually believe none of the Gazans killed were Hamas men.

• Thanks 1

@thaibeachlovers

More of your fact light 'contributions'. Hard to tell if you just regurgitate AJ 'reports', or make things up as you go along.

Incubators were provided with fuel and portable generators, oxygen as well. Babies were already removed to hospitals in Egypt by now (after earlier claims that they could not be moved). You opinion that something was 'faked' carries very little weight - as expected, took a few days for underground facilities to be safely mapped and cleared for entrance. Given that Israel broadcasted its intentions for entering the hospital for weeks beforehand, no surprises that Hamas had ample time to clear out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have no idea of the point you were making in that post. Perhaps you have been drinking too much israeli propaganda cool aid the last week.

The point was fairly simple. Here it is again for you

On 11/16/2023 at 8:46 AM, coolcarer said:

You are much more than blinkered, you are an active Hamas apologist. Your post here calling them a reisistance is testimony to that. They are a cowardly mini army of murderous terrorists.

Let me repeat. You are calling Hamas a reisistance group. You are wrong, they are an evil mini army of terrorists. Only a Hamas apologist would come out with such trash. Your sickening disregard for what they did is shameful.

• Like 1

Misinformation on so many levels. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, coolcarer said:

The point was fairly simple. Here it is again for you

Let me repeat. You are calling Hamas a reisistance group. You are wrong, they are an evil mini army of terrorists. Only a Hamas apologist would come out with such trash. Your sickening disregard for what they did is shameful.

Bye

On 11/16/2023 at 2:34 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Biden looks weaker by the day as the israelis ignore whatever he says.

I saw him on tv trying to put together some relevant words on the conflict, but all he managed was confusing and barely comprehensible. He is looking very old and out of his depth recently, IMO.

he won't last the term

is unbelievable that some say they even vote for another term, beyond belieif