The Delicate Sound Of Thunder

duratanium

The big wind came and it got dark here at 6 p.m. as the black clouds rolled in. Lights were put on early.

The lighning started, soon followed by heavy rain and then thunder.

The g/f sister is terrified of thunder and it seems ironic in a country such as Thailand to have such a fear. I do sympathise with her as she heads for shelter - usually our house - with her arms covering her head and ears. She is usually shaking like a frightened child.

So, for months of the year she has to go through this. Often day after day.

The g/f is terrified of snakes and freezes with fear even when seeing them on television. That also poses problems living in a country like Thailand but nowhere near as much as the fear of thunder and lightning.

Any of you or your better halves share such fears / phobias and how do they affect you from day to day?

injury by fire.

i always make a point of familiarising myself with fire exits in buildings.

seeing the glasgow suicide bomber burning and his burnt body being dragged along the pavement by police made me break out in a cold sweat , (even though he deserved his pain).

my wife has a fear of centipedes and will actually cross the street if she sees one of those reddish brown centipede things.

"The delicate sound of thunder" good album.

On the other hand I'm not to fond of flying things that sting and the missus hates the sight of snakes.

used to be a topman burner in demolition ,saw a guy fall to his death ,since then cant go up a ladder ,didnt like the job anyway.........

My wife doesn’t seem to be afraid of anything except a night out with farang ladies.

Things that carry venom are usually relieved of their mortal coil when they try to enter my place. But since the two recent King Cobra sightings, I have decided to call a truce.

I am phobic about anything flying loose inside, such as birds or bats--especially bats. I get pretty much paralyzed with fear from them. If you open a window the bird will usually exit, but bats just swish, swoop and do so at a terrific speed.

My cat occasionally catches bats--unbelievable, jumps and gets them in mid-air and then brings them into my bedroom and releases them. That puts me out of the house in my underwear!

Absolutely stupid, I know, but I think I'd die if I were locked in the room with them!

Kids everywhere grow up being taught to fear things. Some of those things are sensible, but many are not. Thai kids have more than their fair share of phobia indoctrination. The list of hocus pocus to be feared is a long one here. Just on the subject of ghosts, there are dozens of variations. Recently, I asked my half-Thai niece if she would sweep some dust out from the bathroom - she said she couldn't because there might be ghosts in there. I can understand primitive cultures having thousands of taboos - but come on Thailand! go ahead and retain some myths and taboos, but get rid of some of the thousands of silly self-defeating duff that keeps Thais huddled in their fears. It's just not cute, particularly after puberty years. For westerners, the tooth fairy is fun for toddlers - but after a few years we move on.

Worms!!!! Slimy gooey disgusting worms!! Worms of any kind especially enmassed like maggots or live bait for fishing. All slithering together in a goey slimy mass. Makes my skin crawl and immeadiate gag reflexes.

Went diving in Trat and suddenly found myself swiming thru sea worms all swaying about in the currents, almost threw up in my mask, heart rate shot up and almost hyper ventilated. Got out of the water riao riao

Spiders - I am absolutely, insanely scared of them.

Last week we had a nice 5 inch hairy legged variety on my front door (inside). I called my wife and asked her to come home and deal with it. We have a standing agreement. I deal with lizards, she deals with spiders. Works out pretty well.

I think i have a Phobia of thunder/lightning being on the 2nd from top floor of the condo building doesn't help either.

In my brain i know it is absolutely foolish and it is totally impossible for me to be harmed while inside the building. But yet my body is telling me something else, i get very tense and jumpy; quite strange really.

The g/f sister is terrified of thunder and it seems ironic in a country such as Thailand to have such a fear. I do sympathise with her as she heads for shelter - usually our house - with her arms covering her head and ears. She is usually shaking like a frightened child.

Outwardly during a severe thunder storm i can appear quite normal but inside i do wish i could do as your g/fs sister does and hide in the corner with my hands over my ears :D

P.S. When the lightning actually hits the building (which it does from time to time) then i do get pretty freaked out :o

Edited by dave111223

People, just dont like em en masse!!

I dont mind that so much. But mine is people too. Boorish people, loudmouthed people, insensitive people, noisy people, ignorant people, argumentative people, clingy people, creepy people, ...ill stop there i think :o