Old Geezers getting tattoos

EVENKEEL

13 minutes ago, papa al said:

Thank you for your comments.

You are so wise.!

You're welcome. I'm sure your tatts have great personal meaning.

I do know there are several topics to avoid in polite company*, but since this Forum isn't polite company, one can tread into taboo territory. If people are truly honest, I don't think most tatted up to reach the Maslow hierarchy of self-actualization, but because they thought it would make them look 'bad' and 'different' (albeit like everyone else). The fact that tatts always existed, but suddenly became mainstream, screams fad....and fads pass. To each his or her own, but as humans we cannot help but have an opinion. I cannot help but think they look silly. Just my opinion, of course. SImilarly, I cannot train my mind and convince myself the "old geezer" with the fresh tatts got them because they have special meaning. I suspect, and would even bet, that when sitting in the chair getting inked, the guy was telling himself 'the babes are going to get weak in the knees when they see me with this; their loins are going to quiver'.

*politics, religion, smoking, circumcision, tatts

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

You're welcome. I'm sure your tatts have great personal meaning.

I do know there are several topics to avoid in polite company*, but since this Forum isn't polite company, one can tread into taboo territory. If people are truly honest, I don't think most tatted up to reach the Maslow hierarchy of self-actualization, but because they thought it would make them look 'bad' and 'different' (albeit like everyone else). The fact that tatts always existed, but suddenly became mainstream, screams fad....and fads pass. To each his or her own, but as humans we cannot help but have an opinion. I cannot help but think they look silly. Just my opinion, of course. SImilarly, I cannot train my mind and convince myself the "old geezer" with the fresh tatts got them because they have special meaning. I suspect, and would even bet, that when sitting in the chair getting inked, the guy was telling himself 'the babes are going to get weak in the knees when they see me with this; their loins are going to quiver'.

What a brilliant analysis;

papa stands in awe.

& your ability to know what other people are thinking...

a true talent.

41 minutes ago, newnative said:

I, personally can't stand tattoos, on men or women--but especially women.  So often, I will see someone  walking towards me, horribly disfigured on their arms and/or legs, and I'm thinking they must have been in a terrible motorcycle accident that left those awful scars.  Only to discover as they get closer that, no, those are just very ugly tattoos I am looking at.  If one must get tattoos, waiting until one is very old seems like the best course--by then nobody gives a toss what you look like.

Might I suggest an eye exam. You're welcome.

21 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Back in the 70's the place for tats for sailors was Hong Kong. I got both mine at Pinky's which is a very famous joint. Back then it was against the rules so Pinky's had a steel door that was locked when you were inside so Shore Patrol couldn't bust you.

Nowadays Subic is a place for tats as well.

just that so many old guys are getting ink that it's sort of meaningless. It's not so special and I want to feel special.

There is nothing wrong with being ordinary.

The idea that being ordinary is the equivalent of failure/un-success has only come into currency during the last 30-40 years.

It is a neurosis........one that is, sadly, still strengthening and growing worldwide.

It is a neurosis that you should deal with by acknowledging that you are nothing special (you wouldn't be posting on AN if you were), you are ordinary person, you won some, you lost some, you did your bit .......and it is absolutely, 100%, OK.

You are OK.

On 11/24/2023 at 3:39 PM, spidermike007 said:

I kind of like tattoos on some women. It can be very sexy. But, on guys it is just boring. Feels like a desperate sort of "paint by numbers pseudo hipness" thing. Some are amazing. Some are so dull and so lacking in originality.

As a poster said. 'It is a personal choice what one does to their own bodies.' For me, tattoos on women is a complete turn off. Why spoil a beautiful body with an inane tattoo? A Hummingbird on each tit will look like a couple vultures in old age. As for men's tattoos. I'm sure there are some that flocked like sheep to get one, are bearing tribal messages saying 'I'm a d******d' in the tribes lingo. But each to his own. But live to regret it, maybe.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

When you reach the level of perfection that I have , there is very little one can do to improve  his appearance. As such, I am afraid that tattoos will only detract from the magnificence that is me. 

Also I am too cheap to get one. 

Price is another thing.

I've never smoked a cigarette or got a tattoo, so the prices of these thing when I find out always shocks me.

One of the young pups at work came in last week sporting a freshly inked arm. He told me how much it cost, and it 'Holy Fu&^&king <deleted>' ....You paid how much!!!!

Never understood it, never will

23 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Price is another thing.

I've never smoked a cigarette or got a tattoo, so the prices of these thing when I find out always shocks me.

One of the young pups at work came in last week sporting a freshly inked arm. He told me how much it cost, and it 'Holy Fu&^&king <deleted>' ....You paid how much!!!!

No idea about here, but on a recent visit to the US, I noticed they were $9 a pack. Plus tax! That is insanity.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Price is another thing.

Same here

I never smoked and never had a tattoo , personally I don't find it attractive, but I understand why others might find it attractive. 

My Brother in law was a one pack a day smoker, we commuted to work together in the US , and one day he asked me to get him a pack of Marlboros red.   I was shocked to find out that at NYC they were , if I remember correctly $12 a pack, so I did the math. 12x30= 360. I said "Kevin do you realise that you spend over 360 a month for cigarettes ?  brother I said ' that could be the payment on a brand new F150!! (that was a few years ago ) god only knows how much it would cost  now days. Same for tattoos. I told my daughter " Honey I only want three things from you, 'Don't smoke cigarettes, stay away from drugs, and don't get  tattoos. because what you find important to write on your body now, might not be imported or desirable 40 years from now. So one day she shows up with tattoos on her ankles, smoking a cigarette :laugh: . I guess two out of three is not bad. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No idea about here, but on a recent visit to the US, I noticed they were $9 a pack. Plus tax! That is insanity.

I just checked after I responded to GinBoy on the subject , and a pack of Marlboro reds in NYC is now $16 a pack!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I can honestly say that all the girls I dated who had tats they were all mega crazy and f up. Like there was something seriously wrong with their brain.

Are you sure it was not all the girls you dated ? :tongue:

30 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Same here

I never smoked and never had a tattoo , personally I don't find it attractive, but I understand why others might find it attractive. 

My Brother in law was a one pack a day smoker, we commuted to work together in the US , and one day he asked me to get him a pack of Marlboros red.   I was shocked to find out that at NYC they were , if I remember correctly $12 a pack, so I did the math. 12x30= 360. I said "Kevin do you realise that you spend over 360 a month for cigarettes ?  brother I said ' that could be the payment on a brand new F150!! (that was a few years ago ) god only knows how much it would cost  now days. Same for tattoos. I told my daughter " Honey I only want three things from you, 'Don't smoke cigarettes, stay away from drugs, and don't get  tattoos. because what you find important to write on your body now, might not be imported or desirable 40 years from now. So one day she shows up with tattoos on her ankles, smoking a cigarette :laugh: . I guess two out of three is not bad. 

To be fair, your daughter is definatley NOT going to tell you if she is doing drugs...so I would not be so confident

1 minute ago, ThaiPauly said:

To be fair, your daughter is definatley NOT going to tell you if she is doing drugs...so I would not be so confident

Good point 

But I think I would know! She is now 28 and a  case manager for a very conservatives law firm , while working on her law degree. Don't think she be able to do that and do drugs.

But you are right she would never tell me, so there is  a chance. 

I had a dragon tattoo put on the base of my back 30 years ago in Spain when I was very drunk and my company staff persuaded me to have a tattoo....

I also have a recent tattoo on my upper arm in remembrance of my Thai niece who died in my arms last year from TB :(

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Y I suspect, and would even bet, that when sitting in the chair getting inked, the guy was telling himself 'the babes are going to get weak in the knees when they see me with this; their loins are going to quiver'.

What do you think the old ladies that get tattoos think?

I've seen ladies in the USA that are in their 70's getting a tattoo, are they thinking the young studs will chase them?

Tattoos have been around for thousands of years, dont think that is a fad.

On 11/24/2023 at 6:12 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Back in the 70's the place for tats for sailors was Hong Kong. I got both mine at Pinky's which is a very famous joint. Back then it was against the rules so Pinky's had a steel door that was locked when you were inside so Shore Patrol couldn't bust you.

Nowadays Subic is a place for tats as well.

just that so many old guys are getting ink that it's sort of meaningless. It's not so special and I want to feel special.

A good friend of mine got a full dragon on his back in Pinky's (done over several sessions). 

Thing is, not only was it on his back so he never saw it, but he was fat and NEVER went to the beach or took his shirt off, so none of his friends ever saw it....   he died a virgin from a heart attack at 34....  so he didn't even use it to impress the ladies. 

There was a photo of his back with the tattoo outside Pinky's.   That was the only way I ever saw it. 

I've always thought that was one of the saddest and most pathetic things anyone I've ever known could have done.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2023 at 5:21 PM, connda said:

I've got a blank canvass and it's going to stay that way.  I've never understood the allure unless you where three-sheets-to-the-wind in Subic and wake up screwed, blued, and tattooed.

Me too, i'm blessed with a lovely Irish white skin with a few touches of salmon pink here and there, and which the whole thing turns into a rather fetching fire engine red at the first touch of sunshine on it, and i would'nt dream of molesting it with tattoos of any sort, i'm just lucky i guess lol

Seriously though i don't like tattoos on young or old women at all, mostly not needed in my opimion.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1