Thai authors poised for breakthrough, Hollywood boost

snoop1130

pim.jpg

With a spate of critically lauded novels — one of them picked up by Netflix — a new wave of young Thai authors looks poised to break through on the world stage.

Thailand boasts a rich literary tradition, with the 1920s seen as a golden age when writers tackled entrenched social issues, but while modern Thai authors have kept up that legacy, they have struggled to make a splash abroad.

That could be about to change.

Caption: Thai author Pim Wangtechawat holds a copy of her debut novel “The Moon Represents My Heart”//AFP

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-11-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand boasts a rich literary tradition, with the 1920s seen as a golden age when writers tackled entrenched social issues, but while modern Thai authors have kept up that legacy, they have struggled to make a splash abroad

Understandable.

• Like 1

I suspect that Thailand needs a Chinese-style simplified writing revolution ...

One SIL (age 40) has 'been to university' (here in Surin - about school-leaving level, I should think). Is there a book in her little house? Not one. But the 2 small children - bright as a button - have a mobile phone each.

Another SIL (mid-40s and intelligent, hard-working in a BKK factory) told me she tried to read a book once but it was SO boring ...

On 11/24/2023 at 7:57 AM, mfd101 said:

I suspect that Thailand needs a Chinese-style simplified writing revolution ...

One SIL (age 40) has 'been to university' (here in Surin - about school-leaving level, I should think). Is there a book in her little house? Not one. But the 2 small children - bright as a button - have a mobile phone each.

Another SIL (mid-40s and intelligent, hard-working in a BKK factory) told me she tried to read a book once but it was SO boring ...

Thailand doesn't have a culture of reading (and increasingly neither does a lot of the rest of the world).  And it happens at both ends. Teachers and Thai university faculty don't read (or write articles) and the general population doesn't read or buy books. If you ever want some empty space to relax and breathe at the mall, go to Kinokuniya. 

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Thailand doesn't have a culture of reading (and increasingly neither does a lot of the rest of the world).  And it happens at both ends. Teachers and Thai university faculty don't read (or write articles) and the general population doesn't read or buy books. If you ever want some empty space to relax and breathe at the mall, go to Kinokuniya. 

I always visit Kinokuniya whenever I'm in BKK. Always struck by how few people are visiting, but there are always at least a few Thais.

6 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I always visit Kinokuniya whenever I'm in BKK. Always struck by how few people are visiting, but there are always at least a few Thais.

There are at least three Kinokuniya stores that I know of, all within walking distance of each other in central Bangkok. I don't know how they stay in business.