Phuket officials accused of extorting Thai women and their foreign husbands

snoop1130

On 11/23/2023 at 7:44 PM, bob smith said:

so much idiocy in a single comment - it's too hard to unravel..

I was chatting with some police officers that I know here in Thailand.

And one raised the subject of 'corruption'.

And I replied, oh yes, I sometimes welcome corruption here.

One officer friend of mine replied: 'You like corruption???'. (Which they all do in one way or another hehe).

And I said yes, when I had a  problem here that would have required a lawyer to fix, the police were called, who acted as police, lawyer and judge at the same time.

Problem was resolved, way more cheaper than if I had to deal with the process that requires a lawyer.

When I could not leave Thailand during Covid, and at the same time, I was forbidden to remain here, due to my visa being no longer valid soon, a bit of money solved the problem. Which I did welcome.

So perhaps, idiocy might take different forms actually....

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

I was chatting with some police officers that I know here in Thailand.

And one raised the subject of 'corruption'.

And I replied, oh yes, I sometimes welcome corruption here.

One officer friend of mine replied: 'You like corruption???'. (Which they all do in one way or another hehe).

And I said yes, when I had a  problem here that would have required a lawyer to fix, the police were called, who acted as police, lawyer and judge at the same time.

Problem was resolved, way more cheaper than if I had to deal with the process that requires a lawyer.

When I could not leave Thailand during Covid, and at the same time, I was forbidden to remain here, due to my visa being no longer valid soon, a bit of money solved the problem. Which I did welcome.

So perhaps, idiocy might take different forms actually....

Sure corruption is good when it works for you....what happens when you have an issue with someone and they have more money to pay the officials to fix things for them? 

How about when you're told you did someone wrong and you didn't do anything but they want money??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would probably happily paid 3k. Because when I was getting married I visited 12 (not kidding, TWELVE) offices before I found somebody willing to get me married. Some were willing but without prenup, because "they don't do prenups there". And majority because "I had problem with my paperwork". For example I remember in Pattaya office, trying to get married there while on holiday: I had translated documents to Thai and verified by Thai foreign ministry. Which I had in order. But I didn't had bill that I paid some random translator guy 200Bath for translating copy of my passport. So denied. And every single office had a different reason to refuse me. Not a single office had same reason to refuse to marry me as previous. :ohmy: Got finally married in Korat.

Edited by AndyAndyAndy

On 11/24/2023 at 7:10 AM, ryxyz said:

Was directed by the officer to a lady next to the Bang Rak office, that was after waiting for our number for over an hour, who asked for B4,500 to facilitate my divorce because I'd changed my name. I refused to pay, and they asked me to change my name back to match my marriage certificate or go get an updated letter from my embassy (the previous one was outdated) and take it to the consular dept of the foreign ministry for an endorsement, which the tom refused unless I deposited my passport with her. I did the divorce overseas.

i dont understand anything about yur post. left the pot and try again

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2023 at 8:59 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

That never works in Thailand. They'll just look through you as if you don't exist.

Then you are not doing it proper. I learned a long time ago, that to get what you want in Thailand, with the ladies, requires a bit of craftyness.

Firstly there is the money angle. Always have a 20 baht note tucked into your shirt pocket. It should be showing about an inch. 100 baht note if you can afford it. But the colour green attracts the female eye. That's nature at work. They will focus their attention on the note, and give in to your requests.

Secondly and perhaps even more important. When you talk; look into her eyes. When she talks; look at her mouth.

Only resort to the finger pointing, stamping, shouting and thumping the table, if the above doesn't work. And as a last resort; threaten that you will report them to the police.

Edited by owl sees all

On 11/25/2023 at 11:39 PM, ericthai said:

Sure corruption is good when it works for you....what happens when you have an issue with someone and they have more money to pay the officials to fix things for them? 

How about when you're told you did someone wrong and you didn't do anything but they want money??

The answer was already there in my post:

-'And one raised the subject of 'corruption'.

And I replied, oh yes, I sometimes welcome corruption here.'

And you are raising some hypothetical issues. You can go anywhere with that.

What you are describing never happened to me or any of my friends in the more than 18 years that we have been here.

You must be one hell of a bad lucky guy if it happened to you I suppose. Or was it all hypothetical?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/25/2023 at 12:30 PM, Burgo1979 said:

Patong Immigration office now also charging 500 baht for a certificate of residence which should be free. I went last month and was told 'new rules'.

Burgo

500 Baht and they will issue it while you wait.

Don't want to pay? Collect tomorrow.

I paid.

(Phuket Town, June 2023)

On 11/24/2023 at 7:35 AM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Why does it seem its always Phuket that scams happen.?

Out of personal interest, I read a lot of history about Phuket in my first years here and to put it nicely where we come from, traditions, culture and genes do not disappear overnight even if the livelihood today is somewhat changed from our ancestors.

Felt

On 11/23/2023 at 7:55 PM, NoDisplayName said:

What a scam!

Outside Korat, walk-in service, no appointment, no witnesses.

30 minutes processing.

20 baht paid for two certificates.

25 years ago in Phuket also 20thb and the processing went nearly to fast:wink:

16 hours ago, London Lowf said:

500 Baht and they will issue it while you wait.

Don't want to pay? Collect tomorrow.

I paid.

(Phuket Town, June 2023)

The point is it should be free. This thread is about corruption. There was also no choice to collect it tomorrow if payment wasn't made, once they have your passport, you have no choice. I didn't pay 500 after some negotiations in Thai, but i still had to pay.