Phuket officials accused of extorting Thai women and their foreign husbands

snoop1130

It is very simple TIT. Especially as Thai you should know it. And yes you are living in an extremely corrupt environment. As you know civil servants are so underpaid here that they have to make a correct living utilising their power, for example signing the paper giving the certificate or not....I also don't understand why you are involving a third party in your problem. So stop your Calimero, pay the amount that is an alms for the farang and happy marriage.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 11

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Multiple Thai women accused officials at district offices in Phuket of extorting money from them and their foreign husbands. The alleged malpractice involves overcharging them between 3,000 to 8,000 baht for marriage certificates, a substantial increase from the standard 200 baht fee.

It's only extortion if you pay the price, otherwise gain evidence and report the "extra service for payment" 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Was directed by the officer to a lady next to the Bang Rak office, that was after waiting for our number for over an hour, who asked for B4,500 to facilitate my divorce because I'd changed my name. I refused to pay, and they asked me to change my name back to match my marriage certificate or go get an updated letter from my embassy (the previous one was outdated) and take it to the consular dept of the foreign ministry for an endorsement, which the tom refused unless I deposited my passport with her. I did the divorce overseas.

29 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

My advice to anyone in these situations is to point a few fingers, shout a few obscenities, do some stamping and bang the table a few times. They will soon buck-up and do their jobs proper.

That never works in Thailand. They'll just look through you as if you don't exist.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, FarAway said:

I do not see the issue here. 

Win-Win.

If you do not wanna pay the "fee" for faster process, just take the normal processing time?

I am waiting for the registration of my marriage abroad in my home country since almost 9 months now. I wish there would be corruption in The West.

There's plenty of corruption in the West. It's just less visible, perhaps more at higher levels of society. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Phuket = Island of corruption and scams.  We will NEVER again visit there - from being hit by the taxi mafia on arrival to all the rip-offs and scams, it was extremely annoying. Annoying to get them thrown at you every day, but even more annoying seeing dumb tourists paying up without complaint. Great beaches and some fantastic spots - but when even the leader of a Military Junta is told to 'shove off', you know the corruption is endemic and will never change. If it sank into the ocean, as long as all the Expats, tourists and Thai workers survived, I would be very happy.   

Indeed. These rascals are giving Thailand a bad name.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, wolf81 said:

There's plenty of corruption in the West. It's just less visible, perhaps more at higher levels of society. 

Exactly. Inaccessible for plebs like us. In Thailand everyone can benefit from corruption, even us small plebs :)