Bangkok bank

Some banks don't allow foreigners to have access to certain types of accounts, mostly because their systems are not set up to accept anything other than a 13 digit Thai ID number and the passport number isn't a good substitute. That was the case with CIMB and special deposit accounts a couple of years ago, I doubt that this is a racist issue, much more likely to be driven by ID number etc.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

Some banks don't allow foreigners to have access to certain types of accounts, mostly because their systems are not set up to accept anything other than a 13 digit Thai ID number and the passport number isn't a good substitute. That was the case with CIMB and special deposit accounts a couple of years ago, I doubt that this is a racist issue, much more likely to be driven by ID number etc.

Can they use the Covid-19 vaccine number?

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I thought I had read here that some members have term deposits with BKB yet they have just emailed me that it is only for Thais. would you call that racist? I do.

Welcome to racist Thailand.

There are several banks that have accounts, even regular savings accounts that pay a higher than regular interest, available for Thais only.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I thought I had read here that some members have term deposits with BKB yet they have just emailed me that it is only for Thais. would you call that racist? I do.

No it is not racist it is again your misinformation.  Do you even understand that there are many races of people who are Thais?

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

But I have a 13 digit pink card.

17 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Nope banking in every country has stipulations for holding accounts and they vary for different reasons so no not racist just life

• Sad 1

Just now, brianthainess said:

Well one would have thought they could have given me that info in their email :coffee1:

Too difficult I imagine. Reminds me of trying to buy a plane ticket from NOK air I think at the airport. I asked for two seats to Pattaya and the girl said they didn't fly there. Apparently she thought it too difficult to explain that they did fly to utapo nearby.

Just now, Mike Lister said:

Too difficult I imagine. Reminds me of trying to buy a plane ticket from NOK air I think at the airport. I asked for two seats to Pattaya and the girl said they didn't fly there. Apparently she thought it too difficult to explain that they did fly to utapo nearby.

Its all in the way you phrase a question.  Had a smiliar situation happen at a metal shop. I was looking for top mount slide rollers for a gate and went to the gate shop and asked if the had any.  The lady looked at me funny and said nope, no have and walked away. One of the workers heard the conversation and came over as I was walking away scratching my head and said sorry sir we are a metal shop and  make all our parts custom.  Just tell me what you want or draw it and I can make it for you. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 6:47 PM, briley said:

12 month fixed deposit always works for me - but other periods are not allowed for some reason.

Up date; I just got an email from BKB apologizing and now say I CAN open a 6, 12, 24 or 36 month fixed account :cheesy::cheesy:

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Update; just got an email from BKB apologizing to me, and now saying I CAN open a 6, 12, 24or 36 month term account :cheesy::cheesy:

1) they changed their mind

2) they heard you were posting the problem on AN

3) the woman who knows returned from vacation.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Do they tax the interest ? if so how much? thanks. 

This is from 12 Month FD deposit (which I have since many years)

04 Oct 2023     Interest Credit        1,600.00
04 Oct 2023     Withholding Tax     240.00

So 15%

• Thanks 1